Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently financed a 2015 WRX premium, unfortunately I know very little about maintenance and am trying to learn, so I read up briefly on here. Anyway I read a thread about maintenance. I think.. and it said “the direct injection 2.0I carbon build up on the valves will be in eventuality and must be cleaned”.
I was complaining to my husband about how my turbo sounds when I start the car and he said it could have something to do with my oil and that I should do an oil flush so I checked my oil and it’s honestly a little dirty. But I remember reading that thread and wondering if that has something to do with the way my turbo sounds. It just doesn’t sound smooth. It sounds kinda clogged but I don’t know if that’s normal because I have never owned a turbo car. My husband owns a 240 and I don’t want to upset him but I question his knowledge on my car because they are 2 pretty different cars. So I called my local Subaru to schedule an oil change because I’ll be commuting a little more. I inquired about the carbon build up cleaning and the lady I spoke with said that maintenance would be a fuel injection and air induction cleaning, and on top of that I’d need to do a MAF cleaning service and a Engine oil and filter service. Is all that necessary if I go with that service? Is that what needs to be done or is it something else entirely? I don’t want to go in and not know anything and be taken advantage. Also is it necessary considering I just purchased the car about 3 months ago? I feel silly asking these questions but like I said I know very little and want to take care of my car.

·
Super Moderator
11,433 Posts
You only need to do the maintenance specifically outlined in the vehicles manual.

Carbon buildup is a thing, its not as bad as some vehicles and won't need it often.

How does your turbo sound bad

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You only need to do the maintenance specifically outlined in the vehicles manual.

Carbon buildup is a thing, its not as bad as some vehicles and won't need it often.

How does your turbo sound bad
I’m probably not explaining it correctly but at first when I would start my car the turbo sounded like a smooth whistle and now mid way through warm up it makes a quack sort of noise. Only once and then it’s a whistle again. It doesn’t do it every time I start my car but I’ve heard it at least 4 times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How sure are you. The Perrin turbo inlet doesn’t require a tune and also can barely be seen from the top. If you could record it one day. -‘d then post it.
I’m definitely not positive it’s completely stock. I’ll try recording every time I start my car to see if I can catch it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I recently financed a 2015 WRX premium, unfortunately I know very little about maintenance and am trying to learn, so I read up briefly on here. Anyway I read a thread about maintenance. I think.. and it said “the direct injection 2.0I carbon build up on the valves will be in eventuality and must be cleaned”.
I was complaining to my husband about how my turbo sounds when I start the car and he said it could have something to do with my oil and that I should do an oil flush so I checked my oil and it’s honestly a little dirty. But I remember reading that thread and wondering if that has something to do with the way my turbo sounds. It just doesn’t sound smooth. It sounds kinda clogged but I don’t know if that’s normal because I have never owned a turbo car. My husband owns a 240 and I don’t want to upset him but I question his knowledge on my car because they are 2 pretty different cars. So I called my local Subaru to schedule an oil change because I’ll be commuting a little more. I inquired about the carbon build up cleaning and the lady I spoke with said that maintenance would be a fuel injection and air induction cleaning, and on top of that I’d need to do a MAF cleaning service and a Engine oil and filter service. Is all that necessary if I go with that service? Is that what needs to be done or is it something else entirely? I don’t want to go in and not know anything and be taken advantage. Also is it necessary considering I just purchased the car about 3 months ago? I feel silly asking these questions but like I said I know very little and want to take care of my car.
Go to auto parts store and get a can of Seafoam put it in your tank and see if that don't help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts