Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so I just picked up a 2019 wrx. It’s got the stock seats still and it’s really uncomfortable for me to ride long distance. If I drive to the mall which is like 25 minutes from home, and back, my right leg starts to hurt. I’m 5’11 220lbs. I feel sturdy on the seats but my leg gets really tired and sore. Anybody else have this issue? I can’t find the right position to drive in

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yep, I have the same problem. The problem with the stock seats is the seat cushion is too short. It needs to be about 2"-3" longer to better support your legs. I'm 6'4" and 235lbs. I ended up getting the Egg Sitter cushion to use on long trips. Actually, I use it more often than not; Really anytime I don't plan to drive aggressively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I have the same problem. The problem with the stock seats is the seat cushion is too short. It needs to be about 2"-3" longer to better support your legs. I'm 6'4" and 235lbs. I ended up getting the Egg Sitter cushion to use on long trips. Actually, I use it more often than not; Really anytime I don't plan to drive aggressively.
I thought I was the only one! Do you know if anything aftermarket can help? Maybe a new seat? Aside from the egg sitter?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I thought I was the only one! Do you know if anything aftermarket can help? Maybe a new seat? Aside from the egg sitter?
Honestly, I haven't looked into it too much. I'm almost certain there are aftermarket seats that are much better than the stock ones. Heck, the ones in my wife's 2018 elantra sport are much better, although the leather is "stiff".

I'd start by checking out dealerships (regardless of make and model) and find a seat the "fits" your body type comfortably. Then, get the measurements of the seat and look for aftermarket ones that are similarly sized and proportioned. Now that I think about it, you could contact an upholsterer and see if there's anything they can do to improve the existing seat. Might be useful if you're interested in aftermarket leather, Katzkin, or other material.

Just some thoughts. There might be others to offer better suggestions. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Æternum
15,860 Posts
I'm sure that it's a deeply personal thing depending on your own body.

Your stock seats are similar to my stock STI seats, and I don't have any discomfort unless I'm driving for 6 hour+. HOWEVER, my wife's Kia Sportage makes my leg hurt after only about 20 minutes of driving. Doesn't bother her incidentally. I suspect it might actually be the pedal box geometry more than the seat itself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
zax , i think you're on to something, but also feel its a combination of that and the short support, when i had my m3 it had the option of extending the seat area towards the wheel and i always had it fully extended. currenly my wrx has a severe lack of lumbar support so i use some of the infant pads that came with my kids carseat and that helps but it pushes me just a little bit forward in the seating that my legs are not supported very well. wish there was a way to remedy that besides getting another seat which i really dont want to do because of the airbags in the stock one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The problem I have is the seats are too narrow. The back, I mean. The seats were made by small people for small people. I am just under 6', 215 lbs, but I am in the gym alot (bodybuilding) and I have fairly well developed lats, so I sit in front of the side bolsters, not between them. I am not huge by any means but I could use wider seat back for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure that it's a deeply personal thing depending on your own body.

Your stock seats are similar to my stock STI seats, and I don't have any discomfort unless I'm driving for 6 hour+. HOWEVER, my wife's Kia Sportage makes my leg hurt after only about 20 minutes of driving. Doesn't bother her incidentally. I suspect it
might actually be the pedal box geometry more than the seat itself.
zax , i think you're on to something, but also feel its a combination of that and the short support, when i had my m3 it had the option of extending the seat area towards the wheel and i always had it fully extended. currenly my wrx has a severe lack of lumbar support so i use some of the infant pads that came with my kids carseat and that helps but it pushes me just a little bit forward in the seating that my legs are not supported very well. wish there was a way to remedy that besides getting another seat which i really dont want to do because of the airbags in the stock one.
The problem I have is the seats are too narrow. The back, I mean. The seats were made by small people for small people. I am just under 6', 215 lbs, but I am in the gym alot (bodybuilding) and I have fairly well developed lats, so I sit in front of the side bolsters, not between them. I am not huge by any means but I could use wider seat back for sure.
I think you guys are all right. I used to drive a 2014 Si coupe and I never had problems. The pedals were placed a little farther apart and the bolsters were slightly bigger. In these seats, I sit pretty tight inside the bolsters, which is fine, but I can tell the seats are not meant for bigger people. Just like you, my last are pretty wide and I feel it on the seats. I’m scared to get aftermarket seats and face the same problem if it’s just the pedal placement and distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts