ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I took the time to put Seafoam into my car...I put 1/3 of a 16oz can into my fuel tank to clean fuel injectors, 1/3 into the engine block and 1/3 into the vacuum line of the BPV. Everything went great however after smoke had cleared, I noticed some smoke comming from near the turbo....does this mean I have a vacuum leak? Anyone else experience slight smoke from the engine bay when using this product or something similar?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,508 Posts
Out of curiosity I looked up the contents. It's up to 60% paraffin oil (CAS 64742-54-7); up to 35% naphtha (CAS 64742-49-0) and up to 20% isopropanol (CAS 67-63-0).

The "up to" bit means there is a range, and to me that implies that they make different batches of the stuff, and simply sell it as is for all I know. The MSDS will allow them to do that if they state outright something like, say, 40%-60% component x and so on.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't know about vacuum leaks as that pulls air in but it will find intake and exhaust leaks depending where in the system you put it in
Sweet sounds useful. I read something for about it cleaning some sort of build up in an engine as well? Would you recommend running some through my 04 with 98k mile? And if so can u send me a link of the type to get? I'm unaware if it's just one type or multiple. Thanks

·
28,508 Posts
I've done some pricing and it's cheaper (and legal) for me to buy it than to DIY a home brew based on the MSDS. They must either synthesize or benefit from bulk pricing the ingredients.

I use it only in the fuel and only in small engines (mowers, bikes). The WRX is a modern car and in theory should never need it. In practice though...

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I've done some pricing and it's cheaper (and legal) for me to buy it than to DIY a home brew based on the MSDS. They must either synthesize or benefit from bulk pricing the ingredients.

I use it only in the fuel and only in small engines (mowers, bikes). The WRX is a modern car and in theory should never need it. In practice though...
you mean instead of putting it in the oil? The fuel system I can see, and running it through the vacuum line into the combustion chamber will do the same thing. I prefer fuel lines though

·
28,508 Posts
you mean instead of putting it in the oil? The fuel system I can see, and running it through the vacuum line into the combustion chamber will do the same thing. I prefer fuel lines though
Right. I've never run it in the oil and I've never used a fuel line or vac line. I've only added it to the tank.

·
Registered
180 Posts

Surely someone has noticed improvements or ran tests on its affect on a wrx?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It does technically work to clean carbon deposits, but it really doesnt work well enough to make a difference. There are some before and after videos where they pull the plugs and go in with an inspection cam before and after. Long story short save your money its not neccessary on anything with less than 150k on the clock and probably much more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts