Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a STi scoop but I can't get my stock scoop off. I removed the big black plastic part, and unbolted all 5 bolts that hold the scoop to the hood. My problem is how do I remove the clip on each side of the scoop. Each clip is held on by 2 small screws.

For those of you who have done the STi scoop will hopefuly know what I am talking about.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Hmmm... I don't remember 2 clips that I had to take off. There are some weird "screw-looking" push-plugs that I took off.

Did you remove the whole metal air diverter already?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Excuse my going OT here, but is there anywhere to get these scoops already painted? If not, how much did it cost you guys to have them painted?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
WRXin' said:
Excuse my going OT here, but is there anywhere to get these scoops already painted? If not, how much did it cost you guys to have them painted?
I have seen them in group buys already painted and a few other places I believe, usually only in blue and silver. Just look around, try searching i-clubs vendors and group buys, or naisca or whatever the hell its gonna be called next week.

Alex

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that. Should anyone know of a specific web site, don't hesitate to post it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Try Rallispec.com
they have it for 175 painted i think,,i got mine paiinted in black.
Tuca

·
Registered
141 Posts
Each clip is held on by 2 small screws
Look as these carefully and you will see push in tabs on them when you squeze them they will go through the hole there is also a white tab in the middle on the window side do the same thing to get it through.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I take it this install is pretty easy to do? I'm thinking about this as my next mod.

How much different does it make the car look? Does it look a lot bigger from inside the car?

Anybody have pics of their car before and after the install?

BTW: On MPJ's site, they have a "STI Type RA splitter and seal." Does that help performance/anything? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
verbal said:
So I take it this install is pretty easy to do? I'm thinking about this as my next mod.

How much different does it make the car look? Does it look a lot bigger from inside the car?

Anybody have pics of their car before and after the install?

BTW: On MPJ's site, they have a "STI Type RA splitter and seal." Does that help performance/anything? Is it worth it?
The STI hood scoop is a 'plug n' play' mod. Nothing more than undoing some screws, nuts and clips. Should take about 5 minutes.

Regarding the splitter - you know that black piece you have to remove before you can remove the scoop? The splitter replaces that - it's aluminum (I believe) and has "fins" that split the scoop airflow into three "tracks" to more evenly distribute the air over the intercooler. Worth it? For $20 I got an add-on splitter on eBay, but that won't work as well for the STI scoop. For $120, it's a little steep but I do believe it helps the internal temp.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts