ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody! This is my first post here, and I want to start by expressing my gratitude for this forum and all the great information here to help a newbie like me figure out what is safe to do to a car.

I have a brand new '04 WRX sedan, and am very strongly considering the Scooby Sport Stage 2 upgrade plus Samco I/C hoses and maybe a K&N filter as my first major upgrade. I like their wing way better than the STI wing, and my add that to the car also.

Has anyone tried this Scooby Sport stuff? I downloaded the movies in their stage kit section and "love" the sound of that car.

Also, one of the biggest things that is selling me on this route is the fact they offer not only the parts, but also the ECU reflash tuned to those specific mods.

Your input would be hugely appreciated as I want to be smart about what I do to my new ride. Thanks!

See the stuff here http://www.rallyperformance.com/scooby.shtml

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
the only downside is the price of the package.

for $1,880 you could be stage 4 or dam close from other vendors.

and their wing is way cooler :)

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
gusto said:
the only downside is the price of the package.

for $1,880 you could be stage 4 or dam close from other vendors.
Really? Isn't a TurboXS Stage 4 like at least $3500? I assume most of the other comapnies are comparably priced. Of course, it's been a while since I have bought anything for a WRX, but I don't think prices have dropped that much in five months.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price on the front end is certainly a consideration, but there's a value for me in doing safe mods and facing hopefully less expense over the long haul.

I've been looking at a LOT of stage upgrade options, and it's getting to where it all seems relative. You get what you pay for if you're lucky. The ProDrive stage 3 for example has an MSRP of about $2,500 and adds only 60 or so HP. So, the stage number (2 or 3) is obviously a little less than meaningful. If this Scooby Sport stage 2 will get me 290HP as claimed, and I add on a few more ponies with the I/C hoses and the K&N air filter, then have the whole works built into my reflash, I'm thinking I may hit the 300HP mark for not a horrible amount of money, plus have it well managed in the ECU.

Another thing I like about this is the ECU defrost button function that would give me about a 3 psi ECU tuned boost (basically from 14 to 17psi) only when I want it, allowing me to keep the wear and tear down on the car when I'm just using it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
its definately a nice setup!!

the package i had in mind is something like that gruppe-s vf34/sti pinks/walbro for like $1200 then engine management + UP/DP/CBE you could probably squeek by with around 2K or so total

or i could be crazy. :confused1

either way you win and scoobysport is nice equip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gusto said:
its definately a nice setup!!

the package i had in mind is something like that gruppe-s vf34/sti pinks/walbro for like $1200 then engine management + UP/DP/CBE you could probably squeek by with around 2K or so total

or i could be crazy. :confused1

either way you win and scoobysport is nice equip!
Actually, it sounds like more than 2K worth of stuff to me, unless you've found some really hot bargains on the exhaust stuff (UP/DP/CBE = $600-$1,000?) )and the ECU management (another $500+?). What you're talking about sounds like it would run more like $2,500 - $3,000 if you do the work yourself.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I first started thinking about modifications, I seriously considered the Scoobysport full turboback and uppipe- until I saw how much it was going to cost:eek3:

I ended up finding a used (but practically new) scoobysport muffler for a little over half the price of a new one. I decided against the rest of the scoobysport turboback b/c of the 2.5" pipes. I am eventually going w/ an upgraded turbo setup and wanted larger pipes. I ended up buying a txs stealthback and helix uppipe... quality at an affordable price.

Back on topic, though, the sound of the scoobysport exhaust is phenomenal:D Not excessively loud, but a nice boxer grumble note.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to both of you who shared your experience with the parts you do have. That helps and the fact nobody told me I was making a huge mistake (other than paying the price) is a big thing. I REALLY don't want to go about this the wrong way, and doubt that I'll be looking at taking my car to the level of a new turbo, I/C, etc.

So...THANKS! :wiggles:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts