ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having this internal battle in my head for about a week. Should I get a used WRX or new Scion Tc? Now, before you reply "Are you joking", hear me out.

I would say that the Scion is a good car, not a great car. Lots of features, available TRD supercharger and tons of aftermarket parts. So, you could easily turn a good car into a great car. It has all kinds of creature comforts and it's new. Being new, I don't have to worry about what mods were done, how the previous owner drove it, etc.

On the other hand, there is the WRX, a great car. Cheaper and better in almost every way than the Scion. But, harder to find a bone stock one in the color that I want. But, buying used is more of a gamble, potentially being more expensive in the long run.

I am test driving a 04 Sti tonight, maybe that will convince me. I am coming to the sad realization that I don't spend anytime on the track, all daily driving on the road, so creature comforts are becoming more important to me, sad.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Seriously, the TC has a nice interior and is a solid car but the WRX owns it.

if you are comparing an STI to a TC remember that the STI is a real performance car and the TC is an economy car and nothing else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seriously, the TC has a nice interior and is a solid car but the WRX owns it.

if you are comparing an STI to a TC remember that the STI is a real performance car and the TC is an economy car and nothing else.
Right. But, being a daily commuter, ride comfort is important. And, I am thinking that the STi would just be too harsh in traffic. But, we'll see.

·
Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin
5,780 Posts
Right. But, being a daily commuter, ride comfort is important. And, I am thinking that the STi would just be too harsh in traffic. But, we'll see.
a wrx is much softer than an STi and still beats the TC in all the categories,

if you want performance start with a car that already has a turbo, its much cheaper to upgrade them.

the TC supercharger kits is 3 grand installed for that money you could be running 300+hp in a WRX

also the TC has No torque

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I'm not clear which Subaru you're talking about. You reference the WRX, but then you've test driven an STI.

If it's the STI, these cars are very different machines, built for very different purposes.

Scion = front wheel drive, "sporty" looking car with good utility, Toyota reliability and build quality.

STI = Much more hardcore performance vehicle, AWD, massive modability for not much money.

Yeah, you can improve the Scion with a TRD Supercharger, but I still doubt it would touch the STI in overall performance. A used WRX would be a nice compromise. The stock ride shouldn't be as jarring as an STI's.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not clear which Subaru you're talking about. You reference the WRX, but then you've test driven an STI.

If it's the STI, these cars are very different machines, built for very different purposes.

Scion = front wheel drive, "sporty" looking car with good utility, Toyota reliability and build quality.

STI = Much more hardcore performance vehicle, AWD, massive modability for not much money.

Yeah, you can improve the Scion with a TRD Supercharger, but I still doubt it would touch the STI in overall performance. A used WRX would be a nice compromise. The stock ride shouldn't be as jarring as an STI's.
I was really looking for a WRX, not an STi. However, I can't find a low mileage 2002-2004 Rally Blue Wagon locally to test drive. But, I did find a low mileage 04 Rally Blue Sti. So, I will actually being test driving the STi before the WRX. But, I guess my argument is really the old new vs used. But, in the case with a car that gets abused so frequently (WRX/STi), I guess I am a bit gun shy about getting burned.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd go for neither. You can buy an '05/'06 WRX for the price of a new Scion (especially if you're looking to dump more money for a Supercharger). Honestly, there's not much of an argument when it comes to buying used vs. new. Used cars are only a gamble if you don't know what you're looking for. Plus used cars are still under warranty a lot of times. My '04 wagon is good until 10/09. I think the big downside of buying new is how much residual value is lost within those first few years. So, why don't you consider buying used regardless of what you decide on? That's my 2 Lincolns....

Where are you located? I've had no problems finding Blue Rex's....at least around here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd go for neither. You can buy an '05/'06 WRX for the price of a new Scion (especially if you're looking to dump more money for a Supercharger). Honestly, there's not much of an argument when it comes to buying used vs. new. Used cars are only a gamble if you don't know what you're looking for. Plus used cars are still under warranty a lot of times. My '04 wagon is good until 10/09. I think the big downside of buying new is how much residual value is lost within those first few years. So, why don't you consider buying used regardless of what you decide on? That's my 2 Lincolns....

Where are you located? I've had no problems finding Blue Rex's....at least around here.
Tampa FL. I would prefer the wagon, but am thinking I might have to get the sedan. Carmax has 2 in JAX. There is 1 about 90 miles away getting a value job and 1 in Tampa with almost 100k miles. My budget for used was going to be around $16k, where I would consider paying a bit more for new.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I was really looking for a WRX, not an STi. However, I can't find a low mileage 2002-2004 Rally Blue Wagon locally to test drive. But, I did find a low mileage 04 Rally Blue Sti. So, I will actually being test driving the STi before the WRX. But, I guess my argument is really the old new vs used. But, in the case with a car that gets abused so frequently (WRX/STi), I guess I am a bit gun shy about getting burned.
Where are you located?EDIT: nevermind. I see it in the post above
How much are you looking to spend?
If you're looking for a sporty car with FWD, what about an '04+ Mini Cooper S? Those are supercharged, and supposedly handle like a go kart.
I'm actually looking at one of those if/when I sell my STi.
As for the STi, not only is the ride a bit harsh for some (it personally doesn't bother me), there is minimal soundproofing and you will distinctly hear any external noise (tires, engine, turbo).
With a 16K budget, you may as well all but rule out an STi. You might find an '04 STi with some miles on it for 19K.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you located?
How much are you looking to spend?
If you're looking for a sporty car with FWD, what about an '04+ Mini Cooper S? Those are supercharged, and supposedly handle like a go kart.
I'm actually looking at one of those if/when I sell my STi.
As for the STi, not only is the ride a bit harsh for some (it personally doesn't bother me), there is minimal soundproofing and you will distinctly hear any external noise (tires, engine, turbo).
I have always loved the mini, but it's just a bit too small for me. I had 3 miatas and decided after the last one that I needed something bigger. People do not know how to drive in FL. And, when you pass a couple of accidents where toes are peaking from under the tarp, you start thinking more about your safety. There was a radio personality that lost her mother when someone hit her mini.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I have always loved the mini, but it's just a bit too small for me. I had 3 miatas and decided after the last one that I needed something bigger. People do not know how to drive in FL. And, when you pass a couple of accidents where toes are peaking from under the tarp, you start thinking more about your safety. There was a radio personality that lost her mother when someone hit her mini.
Have you ever sat in a Mini?
I know what you mean about the Miata. I'm 5'11" and I was at the egde of the maximum height one can comfortably fit in the Miata.
From the reviews I've read about the Mini, the interior room is decieving, given its exterior size. One dude said he is 6'2" and with the seat all the way back, he had trouble reaching the pedals.
As for the safety, that's surprising, as I've heard they have more air bags than a bubble wrap factory.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I checked auto trader just to get an idea of what's around Tampa....I thought there would be more for sale around that area. I'm in NW Ohio and it seems like there's a lot more to choose from around here (maybe because of the snow). Anyway, there were 2 WRB sedans and a wagon, within your stated price range, for sale around your area. Happy hunting and keep us posted with what you decide to go with.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I checked auto trader just to get an idea of what's around Tampa....I thought there would be more for sale around that area. I'm in NW Ohio and it seems like there's a lot more to choose from around here (maybe because of the snow). Anyway, there were 2 sedans and a wagon for sale around your area. Happy hunting and keep us posted with what you decide to go with.
I would have to concur there. In the two years that I've owned my STi, I've seen all of (including mine) 3 other STi's and 3 WRX's out on the road.
I went to Tampa last year for a business trip, and saw 4 STis in the span of two days.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you ever sat in a Mini?
I know what you mean about the Miata. I'm 5'11" and I was at the egde of the maximum height one can comfortably fit in the Miata.
From the reviews I've read about the Mini, the interior room is decieving, given its exterior size. One dude said he is 6'2" and with the seat all the way back, he had trouble reaching the pedals.
As for the safety, that's surprising, as I've heard they have more air bags than a bubble wrap factory.
I have sat in the mini and mini conv. And yeah, it is big on the inside. In fact, I loved it. But, I'm 5'7" so the miata didn't feel that bad. But, I can't put a cubic yard of crap in the back like I can the WRX Wagon either :thumbup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've seen a few 2006 wrx wagons/sedans for around 19-20k but they were used but very little mileage and they were under warranty so you cant go wrong with those. The car I have now I drove around 1000 miles to pick it up because it had everything I wanted and I don't have any regrets. You can also get it shipped if its with like carmax go to the site and search for the car you want and you can have the car shipped for a nice price. I just think the trip to get your car is more of a joy...ROAD TRIP!!! Also I feel like the tc's are kinda ricer. I've seen a few nice ones but most of them are to ricer for me I have yet to see a ricer wrx. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen a few 2006 wrx wagons/sedans for around 19-20k but they were used but very little mileage and they were under warranty so you cant go wrong with those. The car I have now I drove around 1000 miles to pick it up because it had everything I wanted and I don't have any regrets. You can also get it shipped if its with like carmax go to the site and search for the car you want and you can have the shipped for a nice price. I just think the trip to get your car is more of a joy...ROAD TRIP!!!
I have been doing national carmax searches and found a great tool that lets me search cragislist regionally. I would like a rally blue 5sp wagon with a boost gauge, but a lot of cars don't seem to have them.

I have flown to get cars before. I actually don't recommend driving a race prepared miata from NJ to FL without earplugs.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been doing national carmax searches and found a great tool that lets me search cragislist regionally. I would like a rally blue 5sp wagon with a boost gauge, but a lot of cars don't seem to have them.

I have flown to get cars before. I actually don't recommend driving a race prepared miata from NJ to FL without earplugs.

hehe yea, well you may have to go with the wagon without the boost gauge and get an aftermarket one. I have you been searching on forums like this one for private sales? Most time you get a better deal. If you would like If you want to give me around how much your wanting to spend and what your wanting on the wrx I could pm you if i find one that seem interesting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have been having this internal battle in my head for about a week. Should I get a used WRX or new Scion Tc? Now, before you reply "Are you joking", hear me out.

I would say that the Scion is a good car, not a great car. Lots of features, available TRD supercharger and tons of aftermarket parts. So, you could easily turn a good car into a great car.QUOTE]

Are you joking? No rly, my friend went to iraq for 15 months, came back with a warped mind and baught a scion tc for 18k, he put 9k in mods in the past mnonth (greddy turbo kit, 550cc injectors, tuned 3 times, aem FIC, etc......) anyways, after 9k in mods, he only got 209 hp to the wheels, and the car still shuts off after driving it for a while. if you want a daily driver without any performance at all, except for 150 hp, looks like a girl car, (no offense) then get the tC. you want a safe, reliable, quick, sporty badass car, get the wrx.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Tc or wrx?

To me the wrx seems like the best all around. You have good performance all around, the wagons are great utility vehicles, and they have excellent safety reputations. WRX :thumbup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hehe yea, well you may have to go with the wagon without the boost gauge and get an aftermarket one. I have you been searching on forums like this one for private sales? Most time you get a better deal. If you would like If you want to give me around how much your wanting to spend and what your wanting on the wrx I could pm you if i find one that seem interesting.
Sure, looking for a clean, bone stock/lightly modified 2002 - 2004 5sp Rally Blue 5sp Wagon with lower than 50k miles. Would pay a bit more for something under warranty. I have been looking in the southern states to avoid rust and salt corrosion. Looking at around $16k.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts