Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad loaned me a couple of movies the other day. He's really big into Sci-fi movies. I grew up watching Star Trek with him and stuff like that. I grew out of them for a while until last weekend. I watched Lost in Space and Dune. I would just like to say that Dune was awesome!!! Anyway, I don't know if there are any other Sci-fi people here that could direct me to some really good movies, but I would appreciate it if there were.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The Thing From Outerspace

Rent both the original 50's version and John Carpenters remake from the 80's. The original is the sci-fi movie that all sci-fi movies should be judged against. I would also recommend Event Horizon, while some people trash this movie, I tend to tjink very differently about it. I though it was very well done. For some lighter sci-fi, check out Luc Besson's The 5th Element, as with all Luc Besson movies, it is HIGHLY entertaining.

I will probably thing of some more if this thread takes off.

-joe

·
1,379 Posts
Which Dune movie did you watch, the original from the 80s, or the new miniseries update?

I didn't care much for Lost in Space...

My favorite Sci-fi movies are Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Aliens, Dune, and the Terminator movies. The Fifth Element was certainly a lot of fun, though I didn't like it the first time through... it's really grown on me. Final Fantasy was very good, as well- even without the breakthrough animation the story was original and interesting.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
I read the book Dune. It was AWESOME...those worms are SCARY!

2001: A space odyssey.

Kubrick, can you really go wrong? NO!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AutoXJunkie said:
Which Dune movie did you watch, the original from the 80s, or the new miniseries update?

I didn't care much for Lost in Space...

My favorite Sci-fi movies are Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien, Aliens, Dune, and the Terminator movies. The Fifth Element was certainly a lot of fun, though I didn't like it the first time through... it's really grown on me. Final Fantasy was very good, as well- even without the breakthrough animation the story was original and interesting.
New miniseries update. Have you seen both? If so, which is better? Lost in Space was ok, but nothing spectacular.

I have never seen 2001: A Space Oddesey. I'll have to rent it.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I was not even thinking of the standards like Terminator, Blade Runner, 2001, Alien, Aliens, etc, all of those are awesome and if you have not seen them, I second the motion. Predator is probably my favorite movie of all time, and it slipped my mind that it is generally considered sci-fi. GO rent Predator NOW!!! :D :D :D

-joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Both of those movies rock!! Should I be ashamed to like them.......:confused:

-joe

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
No, I was just kidding, I'm not really embarrassed that I watched those movies. It's just that Arnold does so much better in action flics than cute and funny movies.

·
Registered
555 Posts
#1. Star Wars (all of them) plus the books
#2. Star Trek (every even number)
#3. Aliens (it becomes more of a good comedy the more you watch it)

I, too, liked Dune the movie (80's) and the book.

For some reason I need an alien to consider it sci fi...that's why Terminator2 isn't up there. BTW, who's seen the T2-3D at Universal....it's worth the price of admission alone. Cool effects!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
junaitari said:
I think I've seen every Arnold movie out there, including Twins and Kindergarten Cop.:eek:
Don't forget Junior! LMFAO!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
And the two jewels in the crown....

Hercules in New York

Pumping Iron

He made those just before the Conan movies and they both are hysterical.

Ok, sorry, lets get back to sci-fi movies.....

12 Monkeys!!!!!!!!!!! Terry Gilliam is a genius.

-joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Have you seen his other movies? Brazil, Baron Munchenhausen, and Time Bandits? They are not so much sci-fi, as they are just plain out of this world.

-joe

·
1,379 Posts
junaitari said:
New miniseries update. Have you seen both? If so, which is better?
I personally liked the 80s one better, but the miniseries is truer to the book. And I may just like the 80s one better because I saw it first. (shrug)

As long as we're talking Ah-nuld sci-fi, howza 'bout Total Recall? I haven't seen that movie since I was a teen, but I remember it being pretty good back then...

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
E.T. is a good Sci-Fi movie :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Independence Day
Pitch Black
Blade Runner
Stargate
Event Horizon

:D

Do Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000 count?

:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts