ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im looking to get a yakima roof rack for my 06 sedan. and im kind of confused about what all i will need. ive looked around nasioc for just the base rack system, but everyone wants to get rid of their extras too.
so my idea was to try and piece a base system together slowly before winter. so my question is what do i need?

according to yakimas website, all i need is q78 clips, (4 im assuming), q towers, and 48" crossbars.

ive done some shopping on ebay, and have come across some of the parts, but is this all i need? i would like to have locks, but can i buy them seperately, or do they have to come with those individual q towers?

thanks for all the help

·
Registered
750 Posts
Yes you should be able to buy the locks separately. Yakima uses "SKS" locks. You can buy lock cores in sets of 2, 4, 8, and 12. If you're going for the Q Towers I believe you need to get car specific clips, the towers themselves and the cross bars. So your list is pretty spot on.

Does your car have rack mount points on the roof rails? If so then can go with Landing Pads and control towers instead of QTowers. They hold a greater weight capacity and looks better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i dont speak roof rack..i am trying to follow you guys and i am completely lost.. i have an '02 wrx and id like to get some sort of reasonably priced rack to hold my snowboard. i have no idea what to get or what would even work or how it works. if anyone could help me out, that would be awesome.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I personally have the Thule racks my car. for our cars the best thing would be the "towers" that clamp on instead of bolt on. During the summer time i take the ENTIRE roof rack off my car for better gas mileage.

Then winter time rolls around.. like YESTERDAY!!!! =D
I just mount them back on my roof and away i go!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Trying to decide between the following for my 2011 WRX sedan

Yakima Rocketbox Pro 12 (might be too long)
Yakima Rocketbox Pro 14 (might be tad wide/weird design lines)
Thule Ascent 1600 (pushing it on price at $469)

I understand that Subaru makes an Extended Roof Carrier E361SAJ200 but I believe it has the old style U clamps for mounting and it is 36" wide. I need to keep it at 33 or less because I'd like to also carry one to two bikes. I presently have Yakima Control Towers and shortened bars to I believe 49 or 50 inches. I think with the pro 14 or Ascent 1600, I could get two steelhead bike mounts either at just at the inside edge of the towers or on the extra part of the bars that extend past the towers.

I will be using the box for skiing in winter (downhill) and camping/luggage year round.

Anyone have personal knowledge or install pics of any of these boxes that I am considering? Suggestions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts