ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story...

I have an 04 WRX that I got 10 days ago and I got it with 114 miles. I have patiently respected the 4k limit on the rpms for the first 1k mi. and I finally hit the mark today. So as I am getting on this highway with my friend and I hit the 1k mark, I decide to go balls out and see what I've been missing and dreaming about. It was well worth the wait but as I slowed up to the stop light about a mile later I started to hear a noise from my back end. It was a high pitched metal scraping noise (think knife on chalkboard), and the slower I got the higher the noise got. It's not a continuous noise though, it obviously comes and goes as the wheel rotates. My first assumption is s*** I broke my rear diff. Once I calm down a bit and pull into the nearby gas station I start think that maybe its a rotor or the brake pad, but the noise is so high pitched I'm confused. I drive the next 2 miles cautiously listening to the noise. Once inside my garage I inspect the back wheels to find a rock has been lodged in between the brake rotor and dust cover!! It wasn't just sitting there, but stuck to the point that I had to break it with a hammer and screwdriver to get it out. Once the rock was removed, so was the noise. For all the non believers out there I have added pics to show. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? Needless to say I wasn't rallying.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya the rotor looked fine, I don't think it could've done too much because the rock wasn't sharp on the side it was lodged against and it broke in half pretty easy once I hit it with the screw driver so it wasn't too strong. Sure scared the s*** out of me though.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skvfx said:
wow...wat are the chances of that happening :confused1
That's what my friend and I were saying. Looking at the size of the rock and the size of the area that it got into makes it even more unbelievable.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Rocks have caused me stress before too. One time a few weeks ago i kept hearing this weird squeaking sound from my right rear end suspension going over bumps. I thought wtf? my car is 04 what can be broken already (since i dont beat on it) I jacked it up to lube all the bushings with some white spray grease and found a large stone stuck under one of the lower control arms pulled it out and problem solved. Moral of the story= Rocks can break balls

·
Registered
0 Posts
Same thing happened to me one day... rolling backwards and hitting the brakes got the rock out and all was good. But yeah, it sure makes your stomach sink....

·
Registered
241 Posts
hope im not off topic, but i had a similar experience but with ICE.

It was after a blizzard in NJ and I had my stock 04 and was going to work..... the night before I went out t get some salt for my driveway and I was driving through litteraly like 3ft of snow in my roads, but the almight powerful Subaru made it through never getting stuck...

annyways, the next morning i go in my car start it up and i hear this clattering sound like my brake rotor is vibrating... no big deal, cold, icing, it will go away. I drive and brakes feel fine, shifts fine, so far so good... as I was driving to work, a stop sign so I stop, as I was slowing down, the LOUDEST !!!!!! screeching happened as I stepped the brake... and when I say loud, my ears hurt... i pull over and I dont see nothing but some snow here and there... then I go back in my car and i see my stick shift trembling like a vibrator!!!!

i was like WTF, so i forget work and dont even call to be late and I go to Subaru.... they put it on the lift and they find this...

I had a part of Alaska frozen under my chassis.... i guess when the snow melted in my garage, and water everywhere and when I left in the morning to go to work, the wind must have froze everything....

I had a 2 chunks of ice around my tranny the size of basketballs
and I had ice chunks all over my front right rotor....

My dealer was like " so how was rallying in the Apalachians last night", hehehe

anyways, sh*t happens, at least nothing bad happened...

sorry for this long thread, hehehee

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had a similar situation. I was driving along and I hears Tink-Tonk sound commign from my left front wheel when I was riving slowly, but it went away at speed. I had just recently replaced the rotor at Midas, so I went back to have them check it out. I had just left a shop that had a dirt driveway, so I figured it was a stone. Sure enough it was. It had somehow made it into the depression around the hub where air can enter the cooling fins of the disc. So it would just tumble around in there like a lottery ball until the speed was high enough to keep it pressed against the rim.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
MasiveMunkey said:
I think that actually happens to lots of people. There was a thread about it like a couple days ago.
U might be thinking of me, lol.

I check my pads couldnt find anything....but my pads were gone so i bougth some aftermarket ones:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts