ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to installing my Blitz SBC i-D (v2). Installation was pretty much a breeze once I figured out where to put the solenoid.

I decided to bolt the solenoid to the firewall above and behind the turbocharger (just below the stamped VIN number). I drilled and tapped the firewall, and at the fear of stripping my threads in the thin sheet metal, I only loosely torqued the bolts. As a safeguard I'll get some high-strength thread lock compound on them ASAP. It seems to be attached firmly enough.

I hid the control unit back in the mass of wires behind and under the heater controls. This involved removing the radio and heater controls, which is a cinch.

I tapped the boost line off my existing boost tap, since I want both gauges to read from the same place. I routed it (along with my existing connections) through the plug behind the brake pedal. I routed the main harness from the solenoid to the control unit through the air conditioning drain grommet. The head unit I mounted next to the cup holder, just above the radio.

With regard to functionality. All I can say is :D and with regard to boost response I give a :eek: :eek: I guess I never realized how bad the boost response was with the Unichip and OE solenoid. Now once I get over 3500rpms, the boost response is just like when I had the TD04 with MBC boost control. The needle on my Greddy electronic swings from vacuum to full boost in an instant. This is in stark contrast to what I've been used to: boost would build slowly at ANY rpms.

To start with I set the unit to manual mode, using a set of 60 and a gain of 20. I only got the chance to do some third gear runs, and this was giving me a consistent 17.8psi to the redline with a recorded peak (spike) of 18psi. My target is 18psi, so I may lower the gain a few clicks and bump up the set a few clicks.

Overall, I'm very happy. My only complaint: I don't read Japanese and the photocopied instructions are frankly worthless. I like a nice heavyweight manual for on-the-can reading material.

-Pace

·
Registered
101 Posts
I love that mesh over the IC. How did you go about fabricating such a thing? I would love to do this on my car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
nice and clean install..:D

must feel great to have a 500 dollar EBC (wish i had the money:p )

if not right next to the cup holder, what other places would u have mounted it? ( im asking because thats where my blitz FATT is at :p )

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
BoostedAWD said:

if not right next to the cup holder, what other places would u have mounted it? ( im asking because thats where my blitz FATT is at :p )
Exactly what I was thinking :)

·
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well if I had gotten the AVC-R instead I was going to mount it in the 'junk' area in front of the ashtray/power-outlet. This probably wouldn't work well for the Blitz unit though as it's significantly smaller. The only other place I briefly considered putting it was next to the fog-light switch.

I saw on I-club where a guy had installed the SBC i-D and PowerMeter next to each other on the center fold-down blind above the rearview mirror. He must have routed the harness down one of the pillars. It looked ok, but installation must have been a total PITA.

-Pace

[Edit] If you don't have a center gauge pack and don't mind losing your clock, you can fabricate a mask for the oe gauge pod and mount the SBC and the PowerMeter in there. I've also seen this done with the AVC-R.

·
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kane said:
I love that mesh over the IC. How did you go about fabricating such a thing? I would love to do this on my car.
Well RockyWRX fashioned that for me when we were working together one day and I had my back turned. ;) I think he had picked that stuff up from some place like Lowes or Home Depot. It's what in the UK we would call 'chicken wire'. :) Anyway, just use snips to get it the correct height, and make it about 2 inches too long. Then just fold it over at each side. This seems to hold it snugly - mine has never moved. It works very well to protect from even quite large stones.

-Pace

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
pace said:

[Edit] If you don't have a center gauge pack and don't mind losing your clock, you can fabricate a mask for the oe gauge pod and mount the SBC and the PowerMeter in there. I've also seen this done with the AVC-R.
Yeah, Jimmy Oooooo who lives around here has that exact setup...looks really clean :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
PACE

ive got one installed as well

these guys running the MBC's dont know what theyre missing!

i assume you have a bigger turbo and injectors running 18psi?

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
BoostedAWD said:

I have a question similar to this. Has anyone tried mounting something like a EBC, Link Remote Tuner or anything to tune your car but don't need to see all the time mounted hidden in the cup holder. This would of course render the cup holder useless. Personally I think that cup holder is pretty useless(so high and not very deep) and it'd be cool to have a little pop up tuning module when you open the cup holder. This assumes you don't use the EBC as a boost gauge(or any other info) as well and can get that info from another gauge.

·
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
a_is_a_1984 said:
PACE

ive got one installed as well

these guys running the MBC's dont know what theyre missing!

i assume you have a bigger turbo and injectors running 18psi?
You mean I shouldn't be running 18psi on the stock turbo? j/k :D I'm running a VF30 with the STi injectors. I'll also be running a 50-shot in a week or two.

-Pace

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am considering the SBC-ID. Is there a way to send an EGT (aftermarket probe) value to the SBC-ID for display.

Also.. can any signals be recieved from the WRX's ECU and displayed via the SBC-ID ? If so... which ?? EGT, TPS.. etc ??

cheers,

Jake

·
Premium Member
13,353 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
Here is my install location

had to fabricate a bracket and drill the cluster shroud, but it is right where I want to see it.
Looks great! However, don't you want those two right next to each other so you can do the whole SBC-ID-to-Power Meter ID thing? :D

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
aussieinstlouis said:
Here is my install location

had to fabricate a bracket and drill the cluster shroud, but it is right where I want to see it.
Awesome setup! That's some $ you have in electronics in that picture! :)

·
2,516 Posts
The data pass between them only lets you display the power meter stuff on the SBC display - since I will always have it on the boost display - I left them separate for the better mounting IMHO!

·
Registered
820 Posts
This one?

VV

pace said:
Well if I had gotten the AVC-R instead I was going to mount it in the 'junk' area in front of the ashtray/power-outlet. This probably wouldn't work well for the Blitz unit though as it's significantly smaller. The only other place I briefly considered putting it was next to the fog-light switch.

I saw on I-club where a guy had installed the SBC i-D and PowerMeter next to each other on the center fold-down blind above the rearview mirror. He must have routed the harness down one of the pillars. It looked ok, but installation must have been a total PITA.

-Pace

1 - 20 of 35 Posts