Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think the gain is minimal, around 5 hp or so. I can't get myself to spent $150 for a few pieces of plastic or else I'd have them by now. :)

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
In addition to the minuscule performance gains, those hoses IMO look sweet underneath the hood.

·
Registered
41 Posts
definetely some positive gains on the IC hoses, b4 i had them i couldn't break 14.0 after i had put them in, i finally got to 13.91!
and yeah they sure look real sweet under the hood.

--RaCinWRX

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Skinny son and I just put the tools away. That lower hose is rediculous. It's a bit harder getting everything lined up for the reinstall with the Samco hoses, too. I was going to install an ALK today, too. The heat got the best of us and we quit.

I've had the intercooler off the car three or more times now and never took more than a few minutes. The lower hose removal and reinstall stretched us out to 1.5 hrs.

russ

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
russ said:
Skinny son and I just put the tools away. That lower hose is rediculous. It's a bit harder getting everything lined up for the reinstall with the Samco hoses, too. I was going to install an ALK today, too. The heat got the best of us and we quit.

I've had the intercooler off the car three or more times now and never took more than a few minutes. The lower hose removal and reinstall stretched us out to 1.5 hrs.

russ
I think the trick is to use a vicegrips on the lower clamp, and rotate the band around until you can get a better clamp on it. It probably took me 30-45 min total. A lot of people don't worry about that hose since its not really that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I cut the hose clamp with the dremmel after futzin' with it for way too long a time. I've got a trip to NAPA in there, too as I needed a slightly larger hose clamp than I had in "stock". But I might not have even posted about this except for the headache with that lower hose. I have some big hands which didn't help.

Gains aren't great, but are slightly noticeable. It seems to boost up a little earlier. I think I might be getting an extra half psi or so, but I'd hate to swear on it. So many other things contribute to boost fluctuations. Yesterday, in the extreme heat of the afternoon, boost seemed a bit low.

russ

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
russ said:
Gains aren't great, but are slightly noticeable. It seems to boost up a little earlier. I think I might be getting an extra half psi or so, but I'd hate to swear on it. So many other things contribute to boost fluctuations. Yesterday, in the extreme heat of the afternoon, boost seemed a bit low.

russ
Russ,

Give the ECU time to adjust. The HP is more than noticable at higher RPMs after a few days.

-Jim

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah the clamps are the biggest pain in the a$$, especially the once coming from the BOV to the turbo, that was the really hard one. But once you get them put on again so you can reach them easier they are not a problem. I have had to take them off a few times now with all the BOV problems I was having. I have taken off the intercooler about 4 times in the last 2 days and having the hose clamps lined up right saves a lot of time. You might also want to consider buying screw type hose clamps instead of the stock ones you have to squeze to get off.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
All the squeeze clamps in easy reach on my WRX went the way of the dinosaur long ago.

I recall a Datsun 810 wagon (240Z straight 6 engine - the WRX wagon of it's time) I bought in the mid 70's. All the clamps were lined up so you could reach them in a maintenance situation. And all of them were screw clamps. Subaru puts the clamps in so you can't even see where the damm thing ends to squeeze it. The lower hose, the clamp was underneath. I had no alternative but to cut it.

russ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts