Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This piece replaces the accordian piece right after the air box. Nice and smooth inside (vs the accordian piece). Fit was OK, it was a little tight getting it over the turbo inlet piece, but it went.

My last piece of the intake I want to "fix" is to get a replacement elbow portion for the silencer (ala Prova w/o the cost). I looked at the hardware store today in the plumbing section and they had lots of different 3" bits - elbows in plastic, rubber; screw in pieces of different lengths etc. I almost picked up a few pieces, but it sounds like there may be one commercially available soon- if not fabrication time.

Pic of airbox hose:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
finally ive been waiting for someone to make a product to get that accordian pos outta there. at one point i was even going to get a pipe made for me somewhere cause that piece just looks like crap and probobly flows like that too

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Is that your car BigSky? if so, where did you get those hoses?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's mine. There all Samco pieces, the intercooler (3 pieces) and radiator (2 pieces) I got in a group buy many moons ago. The coolant accesory hose set (9 pieces) I got from Vivid. The turbo inlet hose I got from MPJ performance. The last bit- the air box hose I got from a friend across the pond.

Big Sky

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Doh, I was hoping you could tell me where to get that air box piece.

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part # is Samco TB1094 (80mm airbox hose). You might try Forge Motorsports, they carry quite a bit of Samco's stuff.

If you can't find them stateside try Graham Goode.

Big Sky

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
So can you use this piece without having some form of engine management? The reason I ask is because it would seem that one might be running lean due to the increased air intake.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Anybody know a site in the states that sells this piece? Forge doesn't have it. And I don't want to order it overseas.

How much was it?

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WRXin' said:
So can you use this piece without having some form of engine management? The reason I ask is because it would seem that one might be running lean due to the increased air intake.
This piece runs aft of the MAF sensor, so readings should be true. What this piece will do is simply smooth the air flow (as does the turbo inlet piece) over the oe piece. I would not expect dramatic increases in performance w/ this piece, but should yield some, albeit slight.

I've been convinced that the oe intake system is a good one, it's just that it can be tweaked to be a little better.

Glad someone is carrying them here.

Big Sky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
This piece runs aft of the MAF sensor, so readings should be true. What this piece will do is simply smooth the air flow (as does the turbo inlet piece) over the oe piece. I would not expect dramatic increases in performance w/ this piece, but should yield some, albeit slight.

I've been convinced that the oe intake system is a good one, it's just that it can be tweaked to be a little better.

Glad someone is carrying them here.

Big Sky
Hey, you're the one who did the write up on Scoobie Mods for the Turbo Inlet pipe, right? Fairly well written, but it is no where as easy as you described! hehe. Took me and my buddy about 7 hours for the entire install. (From taking the IC off all the way to putting it back on in the end) Really a pain in da arse. But your write up HELPED us out A LOT, so I thank you. Just letting you know it gave us some problems. But again, thank you!

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they always sound easier when you read them;) . I see you have the BPM piece, did you have any fitment problems w/ any of the nipples? The Samco piece has one that is too large that was a major headache- I've spoken w/ them and evidently they are making a change. I spent a lot of time convinced I could get the oe inlet pipe out in one piece, after a hour and a half I became convinced otherwise and out came the hacksaw blade!

I see you have the zerosport piece as well, looks good.

Big Sky

·
Registered
55 Posts
Big Sky WRX said:
Yeah they always sound easier when you read them;) . I see you have the BPM piece, did you have any fitment problems w/ any of the nipples? The Samco piece has one that is too large that was a major headache- I've spoken w/ them and evidently they are making a change. I spent a lot of time convinced I could get the oe inlet pipe out in one piece, after a hour and a half I became convinced otherwise and out came the hacksaw blade!

I see you have the zerosport piece as well, looks good.

Big Sky
The BPM nipples fit like a charm! No fitment problems of any kind, like the ones you had with the Samco piece. My BIGGEST problem, one that I'm not even sure is fixed yet, is that the BPM piece is so much wider than the OE piece that we had a HARD azz time getting it around the Turbo! I hope it's on snugly... I really don't want to take the turbo off to find out though. DOH!

Yes, the Zerosports piece and the BPM piece look amazing together. But since the zerosports piece does not flex at all, it also gave us a little trouble getting it in. HRRMMMM. Oh well, but again, your write up was a major help. Thank you! Oh, and that hard plastic piece on the OE piece that connects the OE piece to the intake manifold also needs to be cut, as the huge Wiring bundle gets in the way of removing the pipe.

Blue

·
Registered
69 Posts
No way.

There is NO way you can fit that friggin zerosports piece around a Samco inlet.. I almost tweked about 5 minutes ago outside.
Deep breaths.. count to ten..

Ok. I would bet that the opening to the BPM piece is a touch smaller than the Samco because the small silicon connector piece is just too small.

Anyone wanna buy a zerosports elbow pipe??

:)

rick

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2003Platinum said:
No way.

There is NO way you can fit that friggin zerosports piece around a Samco inlet.. I almost tweked about 5 minutes ago outside.

Ok. I would bet that the opening to the BPM piece is a touch smaller than the Samco because the small silicon connector piece is just too small.

rick
rick,

try this (saw it at old i-club): pull the metal ring out of the end of the inlet pipe and fit the zerosport into the Samco.

Look at this site:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310594

Big Sky

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Trying to fix my "half" picture:mad: , edited my first post to delete the pic and now I can't attach another.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am buying a SUS intake..
Will this part work with the SUS??
The Zerosports or the Samco??
Thanks
Tuca

·
Moderating on the run!
7,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tuca33 said:
I am buying a SUS intake..
Will this part work with the SUS??
The Zerosports or the Samco??
Thanks
Tuca
Post a pic of it and I'll tell you.

Big Sky

·
Registered
55 Posts
2003Platinum said:
No way.

rick
No, the BPM inlet pipe is not smaller compared to the Samco..... what I noticed however, was a Metal Ring fit inside the BPM which sticks out about 1.5-2 inches. This ring/lip is what makes it possible to fit the Zerosports onto the BPM.

I've never seen a Samco in person, so if there is a Metal ring/lip inside of the samco, then you SHOULD be able to pull that out enough to get the Zerosports on.

Blue

1 - 20 of 49 Posts