Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got in a crash in my 2016 hyper blue Subaru wrx. Bad crash I have bad frame damage but all my electronics are good. Insurance doesn’t cover it so I’m pretty much stuck with this car. I have already stripped it down pretty much to the frame, just have to pull the motor. I have been looking at salvaged auctions, specifically flooded cars. My plan was to get a salvaged flooded car and strip it down the the frame and basically put everything from my car into it. My question is will the frame be ok, will it be rusted out. Will all the fenders/ bumpers be ok or will they all be rusted out. Please let me know

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Yes, it's entirely possible that there will be frame rust, but no more than usual.

The big concern for a flooded car is panel and floor pan rust. Either way this will be an ungodly expensive endeavor and you will still end up with a salvage car. My recommendations: cut your losses.

Why isn't insurance covering the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Because the person driving the car didn’t have a license. If I went with a car that was in a freshwater flood and got the frame sandblasted and powder coated you think I would be ok? Or are there any other options with where I can get a frame that isn’t damaged. The only thing I can think of is a flooded car. I was looking at some cars that were wrecked but if there totaled I’m assuming they have frame damage

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
I think you'll spend more money than the car will be worth in the long run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m at the point where im willing to spend anything less then just buying a new wrx. I’ve rebuilt a lot of things, a car is on my list of things I’ve been wanting to do. My wrx was my baby and I’m pretty much willing to do anything to get my car back to what it was. Any idea where I could get a frame from ?

·
Æternum
15,504 Posts
Firstly, I assume that this is an STI since you said "Hyperblue" and only the STI was offered in that color.

The STI has a lot of desirable components to the WRX crowd. You could get reasonable offers for the engine, brakes, and transmission/differential.

It sounds like you already made your decision. You do you, but I certainly wouldn't go down that path.

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
I think you may be underestimating the cost of this endeavor. I'm also not sure how you managed to not carry full coverage insurance unless you bought the car outright with cash.

You would probably be in a better position selling the salvageable parts of your car and buying a used one of the same year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts