ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
First post here. I've been looking at buying wrx for a while now but have been utterly shocked at the prices of used here in the NW. I did find a place that rebuilds salvaged wrecked ones, but have been very skeptical since I've read both good and bad reviews. Well, they got one in and that I really want. It's a limited hatchback in blue. I did a search on the vin and I found the wrecked pics on the Internet. To me, it doesn't seem too bad - wasn't in a head on collision or anything.
Here's a link to the wrecked site. What do you guys think? Should I be concerned? It does look like it has a cai installed which I'm not crazy about.
Anyhow, it looks beautiful now, and they're asking 19k. I'm hoping I can get that down a little but that car would honestly be 27-29k if was a clean title at a dealer here in Seattle. They seem to be asking new msrp pricing for used cars here :unhappy:

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfinder-online-auto-auctions/lot/28629021/COPART_2011_SUBARU_IMPREZA_WR_CERT_OF_TITLE-SALVAGE_MINNEAPOLIS_NORTH_MN/#fancybox2

Thanks guys. Any info or opinions are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
insurance will be a pain in the ass (probably can't get full coverage). Getting a loan will be very difficult and you will probably run into at least a couple problems later on. Why don't you look into a slightly older model in better shape? You could get a nice 05 STI for that price fairly easily

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Bad idea, period.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Run, don't walk, RUN away from salvaged cars like this. You are making an expensive gamble on salvaged cars, and the odds are never in your favor. If you are spending $3k on a track rat, fine, take the risk, but for $19k, you can and should do MUCH better.

Do you have to have a newer model? Like Garrett said, $19k could buy you an excellent condition STI, likely with change to spare.

I live near Portland, so I know firsthand about the price premiums on Subarus in the NW, but with a bit of patience, you'll find the one for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Run, don't walk, RUN away from salvaged cars like this. You are making an expensive gamble on salvaged cars, and the odds are never in your favor. If you are spending $3k on a track rat, fine, take the risk, but for $19k, you can and should do MUCH better.

Do you have to have a newer model? Like Garrett said, $19k could buy you an excellent condition STI, likely with change to spare.

I live near Portland, so I know firsthand about the price premiums on Subarus in the NW, but with a bit of patience, you'll find the one for you.
Fixed the link...not sure why it wasn't working.

So if you're in portland, you're probably familiar with Silverline? that's the place I was looking at.
I'm really looking for a car with low miles that I can simply use a commuter and put 150K or more in the next 5 years. I spend a lot of time in my vehicle so I want it to be fun and also comfortable. I don't necessarily have to have a newer car, but it just seemed like the best way to get a low miles vehicle that will last for sometime.
Anyhow, I sure appreciate all the advice!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Fixed the link...not sure why it wasn't working.

So if you're in portland, you're probably familiar with Silverline? that's the place I was looking at.
Ah. Yes, I am very familiar with them, as I've actually bought parts there before. That place is the epitome of a chop shop. Their whole business model is to go to auto auctions, buy wrecked WRXs / STIs, rebuild them, then resell them. I would NEVER consider buying a car from them, although because they have so many Subaru carcasses, it's a nice place to get used OEM parts for fairly decent prices, but man is that place shady. I only used cash for a reason. To be fair, the parts store is in a different place from the dealer. The dealership looks much more welcoming, but I've never been there.

Read up online about them. There are some horror stories out there, as well as a few success stories, but I personally would stay away.

Look at the damage on that car. It probably needed a new rear subframe, frame repair, and who knows what else. Do you really want to risk $19k for something like that, especially when you plan on driving it daily for many years to come?

Just my $0.02.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah especially if you want a car that will be a long haul commuter that you plan on putting 150k miles on??? Buy something that hasn't been welded back together.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Ok, let me add a bit more to what I was getting at earlier. As a parts depot, I have no problems getting specific parts I need at Silverline, although the parts place is a bit shady looking. Call ahead first with what you want, and they'll have the part pulled and ready. You'll see 30+ wrecked STIs littered around there, and inside the warehouse, they have racks and racks of parts. It's worth calling them for interior swaps, specific engine bits, body panels etc. They have some aftermarket parts like exhausts and such, but everything they have was pulled from the parts cars they bought, so naturally the selection is hit or miss.

As far as the dealer goes, it's in a separate location, and I haven't been there, so I won't comment much on that part of their business. Not all of the cars they sell are salvaged or reconstructed, though. I would never buy a salvaged or reconstructed vehicle period, from anywhere, so that precludes me from shopping there.

Here's a NASIOC thread that gives a good mix of comments on the place. Happy reading.
Silverline Automotive-Come in if you or friend has a review - NASIOC

I guess I'm not so much knocking Silverline as much as I'm knocking paying that kind of money for a salvaged car.

I did do some quick poking around in the area, and it looks like there's a bit of a lull in WRX sales at the moment. Nothing good on CL, and the dealer I use that usually has 4 or 5 WRXs and STIs onsite just has one brand new one right now. I'd wait a few months, the weather is still nasty around here, so maybe people are hanging onto their cars right now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts