ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my hopes of going big in my 2011head wrx have stalled :( I was hoping to put on a set of moore performance headers and a custom tune and that be about it to pull alot of power out of the wrx. Well sadly I need to upgrade the fuel system to really get any real power out of that setup. My tuner guy says that anything after a downpipe and exhaust is really just wasted parts because the stock fuel system can only handle so much. So if I wanted to get big power out of the wrx I would have to get the headers $775, the dw65c fuel pump $150, 750cc injectors $450ish, automotive fuel pressure regulator $150, and of course install for it all and than the tune. All and all its looking like my $775 headers are really more like $2500 :( sure the power numbers are amazing 350+ hp at the wheels and almost 400 tq but it it worth it. Yes! But can I afford it? No :(Damn anyway sorry I just needed to vent

·
Registered
813 Posts
Food for thought. My buddy just bought a set of GTSpec headers for his LGT for $200. Look for used. There are deals around.

You can get $200 back from Deatschwerks by selling them your stock injectors. And the fuel pressure regulator probably isn't necessary at this level. I have injectors, walbro, and every bolt on under the sun and had no need for an fpr.

My point is don't give up your hope of having these mods because there are cheaper ways.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Get a second opinion...my fuel system is just fine with 850cc injectors and I have a bigger turbo.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
First, you need to fill out your mod list or start a build thread, so we can understand where you're at right now. As for that list, you don't need headers or an fpr to make those numbers. I will be installing DW 1000cc injectors (already have the DW65c fuel pump) and a GS EWG uppipe (w/ Tial 38mm) next week. I will have 2 protunes on my AP (93 and E85). The 93 shouldn't make anywhere close to 350 peak. I even intend to turn down the boost on the 93 map and keep it conservative. The E85 will be my aggressive tune and should certainly make 350 peak, though power under the curve should be your primary concern.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far the car has just basic upgrades. Intake, catted down pipe, cat back exhaust and cobb stage 2 tune. I was wanted to just through on some headers and get a custom tune. I didn't know I needed to get bigger injectors and fuel pump. I was going under the impression that my fathers 2010 camaro ss has pretty much the same mods and he didn't need to upgrade the fuel system when he added his headers. I was thinking the wrx would be pretty much the same.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
You thought that upgrading your wrx would be similar to upgrading a Camaro SS in what way?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just that when my father add his headers he didn't need to upgrade his fuel system. I just that adding headers onto the wrx I wouldn't need to upgrade the fuel system

·
8,921 Posts
So far the car has just basic upgrades. Intake, catted down pipe, cat back exhaust and cobb stage 2 tune. I was wanted to just through on some headers and get a custom tune. I didn't know I needed to get bigger injectors and fuel pump. I was going under the impression that my fathers 2010 camaro ss has pretty much the same mods and he didn't need to upgrade the fuel system when he added his headers. I was thinking the wrx would be pretty much the same.
Uh...what? lol On a stock turbo you probably don't need to upgrade your fuel system. Although it will help if you plan on putting more mods on later. Headers are going to give you a lot more low end torque and you're not going to need an upgraded fuel system.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Drews-
That's what I was thinking. I don't really have any plans for a bigger turbo or upgrading the internals. I know that upgrading the fuel system is a good way to make more power but I too didn't think it was necessary to upgrade just from adding headers

·
8,921 Posts
-Drews-
That's what I was thinking. I don't really have any plans for a bigger turbo or upgrading the internals. I know that upgrading the fuel system is a good way to make more power but I too didn't think it was necessary to upgrade just from adding headers
Think of it this way: More air requires more fuel. Your turbo's ability to move air is eventually limited. Installing headers will only shift your powerband left but it's not going to make your turbo push more air unless you tune it that way. If you want the most out of your setup than get larger injectors, but on a stock turbo it isn't really necessary. You're still going to get gains out of installing headers and a protune.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I'm at 92% duty cycle on my stock injectors right now (Stage 2). If you plan to go any bigger (or E85, etc) at any point, you'll want bigger injectors.

Apparently, gains on headers have been hit and miss, depending on your setup. Do some serious research before buying these. There was a recent discussion about ELH on here.
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/everyday-impreza-talk/134353813-im-tired-boxer-rumble.html

"I know it transforms the sound and helps higher end power, especially with higher HP setups. I have read several places it does slow spoolup.

Header FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

Are there any downsides to headers? Yes.
a. Some manufacturers' early versions of headers had fitment issues, which could be cause for concern if purchasing a used header.
b. There may be a few manufacturers who still produce headers with possible fitment issues.
c. Increased in turbo spool time. The actual RPM reduction will/may vary with manufacturer/heat wrap or coating/overall header temperature but a good rule of thumb is around a 300 RPM increase (spool comes on later) in spool time.
d. Some newer headers are designed for the STi, so they may require WRX users to use the STi oil pan due to it's different shape.
e. 2006+ saw changes to the placement of the oil filter which can interfere with header fitment, so discuss with your Vendor prior to purchasing headers as to wether they fit correctly or not."

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lokey-
Those are great points. I did alot of research in finding headers. They do fit around my stock oil pan and filter, I have been assured that fitment isn't an issue. Im getting a final pre production version from moore performance. There giving me a deal on the price as long as I give them feedback and dyno info for the headers with my set up. But thanks for looking out for me

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
No problem, man. Just keep doing the research, always with your end goal in mind, and you should be fine. :thumbup:

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Your car should have a fuel pump. Whether you add the headers or not, buy a fuel pump.

I can't speak for Mike, but he is probably telling you to get injectors so that you can both maximize your setup, while providing a margin of safety with your tune.

As for the $450 DW 750s, go with the ID1000s instead (unless Mike has an objection).

foxhound said:
Lokey-
Those are great points. I did alot of research in finding headers. They do fit around my stock oil pan and filter, I have been assured that fitment isn't an issue. Im getting a final pre production version from moore performance. There giving me a deal on the price as long as I give them feedback and dyno info for the headers with my set up. But thanks for looking out for me
For that review to contain any kind of useful information, you'd need to get dyno tuned without the headers, take the car off the dyno / install headers, then retune for them on the same day. So whatever "discount" you get on the headers, you'll pay for in retune/installation fees. I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your car should have a fuel pump. Whether you add the headers or not, buy a fuel pump.

I can't speak for Mike, but he is probably telling you to get injectors so that you can both maximize your setup, while providing a margin of safety with your tune.

As for the $450 DW 750s, go with the ID1000s instead (unless Mike has an objection).

For that review to contain any kind of useful information, you'd need to get dyno tuned without the headers, take the car off the dyno / install headers, then retune for them on the same day. So whatever "discount" you get on the headers, you'll pay for in retune/installation fees. I wouldn't bother.
Well I did tell them that I had all the mods already on and that the dyno numbers are going to with adding the headers to the current setup and than the numbers after it gets its final tune. So basically im going to have the headers installed and than do 1 pull and than get it tuned.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
foxhound said:
Well I did tell them that I had all the mods already on and that the dyno numbers are going to with adding the headers to the current setup and than the numbers after it gets its final tune. So basically im going to have the headers installed and than do 1 pull and than get it tuned.
That won't be useful. You need to be comparing two custom tunes from Mike on the same day. Otherwise, its impossible to determine the difference the header added.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Let me just make sure I understand everything. How much is this headers + protune going to cost you?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ej -
O don't think I said that right. Im going to put the ecu back to stock with my cobb ap and have mike give it a dyno run. Than that same day he is going to put a custom tune on her. That way they will have a before tune and after tune with the headers

·
Æternum
20,884 Posts
Ej -
O don't think I said that right. Im going to put the ecu back to stock with my cobb ap and have mike give it a dyno run. Than that same day he is going to put a custom tune on her. That way they will have a before tune and after tune with the headers
That is not at all scientific. A custom tune is worlds better than an OTS tune. You won't be able say with complete confidence that the difference between the two runs is due to the headers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts