ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found out I will not be able to have the 17,000 bucks I thought I could, and I will be limited to around 13,000. IS there anything out there that is as fast as the WRX for under 13,000?

I was looking at the Audi A4 2.8 Sedan Quattro Sedan. Says stock 0-60 is 7.2 seconds :rolleyes: How fast can you get one of these without spending too much money? Can you get the 0-60 in the 5-6 second range with maybe a chip and a few other things? Thanks guys, sorry I cant be a true WRX member, but this advice would help alot.

Also - what about the A4 1.8T Turbo? Can you get those going fast? Im not as concernced with 1/4 mile as I am with getting a fun to drive, fast-to-60mph car.

·
Registered
202 Posts
First of all, a used Audi 3.0 or 18T will be MUCH more expensive than a used WRX with similar miles. Additionally, my dad owned a 2001 3.0 and the thing not quick, however the handling ws good and the interior was absolutly wonderful. Anyway, the Audi's are not something that you should be looking into compared with the WRX for price and performance.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
if u only got 13K i would not suggest looking into a audi and so forth. Keep lookin for the wrx, u will find one for that price range. The 1.8T is teh slow. I raced one with a chip and exhaust and beat it still.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
There's a "f4st3st c4r evar" with your name on it somewhere.

Seriously though what do used SRT-4s go for? Cheap and fast, they have bullet proof engines.

·
Registered
27,068 Posts
u should not look at an audi... thats the kind of car you should only buy if your being near new.... they have MANY MANy problems used.

it seems like all you care about is speed... if this is true, you should be looking for a camaro or mustang. easiest way to get good speed for good money.. but it probably wont last long...

i think some cars to look into are:

97-99 eclipse GSX/GST - gsx has AWD and both will run high 14's stock, and go into low 14's with basic bolt on's.

maxima SE 5speed (97-99) - refined, luxurious, high 14's stock, and low-mid 14's with very little.

impreza 2.5rs - not fast, but can see high 14's with bolt on's, and still have the AWD.

volkswagon gti 1.8t - low 15's stock, good torque, and amazing modability... chip, exhaust, intake can let you see mid to low 14's all day long.

-------- it seems to me that if you dont want a v8 domestic, and your still lusting for a wrx, the best comparison would be the turbo eclipse, or 1.8t gti

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yup if you spend most/all of your money on a used A4, you will be hurtin when costly repairs appear. Trust me, they will cost ALOT to maintain.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speed is not all I am interested in, infact I dont care about top speed or 1/4 mile, I just like acceleration. I have a BLAST driving my aunts 350Z around town. I dont go like 100mph or anything, but I love accelerating fast and taking turns with ease. I will be going to to college next year and need a car that will get me there and back in a relaxing enviorment. Test drove a WRX yesterday and LOVED it. I liked it better then the 350Z.

Anyways, I am not a fan of V8 pushrods like Camaros and Mustangs and Firebirds. Fast, but not my deal really. I think what I decided to do is wait another year and save up another 3,000 bucks and get a nice used 02-03 next summer before I go off to school.

Thanks for giving me what input I got, but now that I rethink it, I beleive that it wouldnt be good to dump $10-12K into something that I wouldnt be completely happy with, like I would witht he WRX. Thanks again.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why not consider something like an early model 7th generation Celica GT-S..? With basic bolt-ons they're capable of low 14s, they handle EXCEPTIONALLY well stock, and even better with a good set of Yokohamas and TRD suspension.

You can find one with around 50-60k miles for 13xxx, and the abuse problems usually aren't too bad. The only thing to check for, is that the transmission shifts good, and that all the cylinders pass a compression test (low compression = indicative of a misshift).

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah. Defiently decided to to wait. Drove another WRX today (I just like going and test driving). Its way to much fun, smooth ride and compfort combined to say no to. So it will be another year when I can earn another $3-5K and get a really nice 02-03 model. I also like the fact that, unlike the 350Z, you dont hit the speed untill 3,000rpms, so its really easy just to cruise around town in without driving it to hard or worry as much about tickets.

Thanks guys. Ill be sure to stay a frequent on these forums to learn as much as I can about it. Still trying to figure out what catless means :confused:

·
Registered
27,068 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
worth the wait +2

even if i did not wait nearly as long.

·
Registered
236 Posts
why not try a 2002-2003 maxima, they have some nasty acceleration. and they go fairly cheap with higher mileage.

theres a 2k2 SE auto with sunroof asking $12,995 with 70k miles. and remember, that's asking. so you probably can find em as low as $11,500 depending on your haggling skills.

but wait for the wrx, i think its even better when it comes to fun.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts