ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you are aware yesterday I traded my 350z for a 2005 WRX Wagon. I started this process by looking at the Saab 9.2x. After test driving the Saab, I reported the car was a dog, with Saturn like performance (and many of you thought I was nuts). Now that I have my WRX, I can tell for sure: the two Saab 9.2x Aeros, I drove were dogs. They did not have the push into the seat factor that came with my WRX.

Also keep in mind I was beating the [email protected] out of those Aeros trying to get some sense of performance. In contrast, I am driving my WRX with tender-breaking-in-loving-care. But there is no doubt the WRX has something between 3000 and 4500 rpms that the Saab lacked, and those Saab's lacked whatever it was completely.

Finally, the Saab dealer in Morton Grove pulled a bait and switch, offering me $23,000 for my Z, but when I came in to finalize the deal changed it to $21,000.

Lessons learned:
1. Car salesman are weiners, get it in writing.
2. If you test drive a 9.2x Aero, test drive a WRX wagon too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sweet!! I always wanted to see how the Saabaru would stack up against the real deal.

BTW, does the 9-2 come in sedan form?

Another thing- the GP 9-2X will toast a stock STI. "Toast" being used liberally that is. Pulls to 60 and 1/4mile slightly quicker.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
not, the 9 2x does not come in sedan form.

what 9 2 are you talking that will toast a stock STI? surely not the saab 9 2x wagon.. haha. :rotfl:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also caranddriver.com has an article that describes the 9.2x Aero interior as more refined than the WRX. I think they were comparing the Saab to a 94 WRX. Except for two tone seats and door panels in the Saab, I think the 9.2x Aero and 2005 WRX wagon are the same on the inside.

·
Registered
0 Posts
dancing_bear said:
Also caranddriver.com has an article that describes the 9.2x Aero interior as more refined than the WRX. I think they were comparing the Saab to a 94 WRX. Except for two tone seats and door panels in the Saab, I think the 9.2x Aero and 2005 WRX wagon are the same on the inside.
they are comparing it to the 02-03 which dont have as nice of an interior, the wrx got a interior overhaul after the 9-2 came out. Congrats on joining the wagon crowd

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread but I'd like to add comments just in case a potential buyer of a Saab 9-2x Aero comes across this thread. Ive owned 2 Saab 9-2x's and if your going to get a Saab 9-2x you should get a 2006 if possible because it has the 2.5l turbocharged engine instead of the 2.0l turbocharged engine. I like both versions of the 2005-2006 WRX wagon and Saab 9-2x Aero wagon. The Saab 9-2x offered a leather interior package with heated seats, windshield wiper de-icers front/back windshields, far more sound deadening insulation, HID headlights w/leveling, Enkei or BBS wheels, STi steering rack/Sway bars, nicer turbo hood scoop and nicer headlights (the headlight and scoop comments are in my humble opinion ), climate control, center console has 2 cup holders, leather seats have pocket pouches in the back, nicer interior door panels. That being said the Saab 9-2x Aero is 90% Subaru WRX. The chassis is basically identical with the exception of an improved undercoating and a more durable paint job. The shocks supposedly ride a bit softer but it's only slightly noticeable. I do notice the cabin is a bit quieter than the 2005 WRX wagon. On paper they both have the same exact HP and torque specs... the Saab is slightly heavier than the WRX though. So they both should have the same get up and go but that all depends on how well the vehicle was maintained. Most of the Saab 9-2x's didn't have the factory roof rack unless the original owner opted in for the roof rack. The roof rack on the WRX was a standard option, personally I like the roof racks and I got lucky with my second Saab 9-2x because it came with the roof rack. Either way I think you'll be happy with either version of the WRX wagonmodel , Subaru makes good vehicles with a good AWD system and these vehicles are fairly easy to maintain. I hope this helps someone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts