Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was dead even with it! we both sat side by side up until about 80mph when he backed off. Wasnt gaining an inch and neither was he! Not to shabby considering that monster has 490+hp and over 500 lb/ft of torque! One of the things I love about where I live is that there are so many high buck cars everywhere! That was the first S55 AMG i have seen though, nice that the guy favored me with a foot down display. I have the boost turned slightly down right now to ~17.5psi from the optimum 18psi so I belive I would have been pulling him slightly if i was at that boost level.

I am sure that monster would pull ahead after around 110mph or so, but I am not doing that kind of crazy stuff unless I have a wiiiide open, no traffic in sight, highway run. Just feel lucky I saw one of these beasts and had a chance to see what the little subie can do against something costing 5 times as much.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Very nice, and great info for me. Now i just need to get that UTEC and intercooler in. Too bad it wasnt from a stop. Hopefully that MB guy who trolls all the time will read this. Couldnt even lose you from a roll:D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JRod said:
Very nice, and great info for me. Now i just need to get that UTEC and intercooler in. Too bad it wasnt from a stop. Hopefully that MB guy who trolls all the time will read this. Couldnt even lose you from a roll:D
It would have been great from a stop! definitely would have kicked his butt and stayed out in front for quite a while. To me it is awesome that from a roll with all that torque the big benz has that the stage 4+TMIC setup plus my other mods actually stayed dead even with it...sure put a big grin on my face!

BTW..nice striper! looks like right around 36in or so? I grew up in Mass and grew up striper and blue fishing...best blue was an 18lb'er and he fought even better than the big old 46lb momma striper I caught surf casting. Did a little striper fishing this past summer when I visited my bro up in R.I., but no keepers. Beautiful fish and verry tasty!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks, they are a great eating fish. Havent caught many lately since the season is over. That one is only about 30" i did the old fishermans trick by holding it closer to the camera:D
Last spring I caught six 30"+ stripers in one night! No such much luck last fall though. Wow 46 lbs and not much fight? He must have had a big ole meal in his belly. I could imagine what an 18lb blue would do, those things go ballistic.

Ok sorry we got off topic. I feel the flames coming! I better change my avatar, it just reminds me of warmer weather and good times.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sweet!!!. Can't wait until the above mentioned Benz guy reads this. I love it.

- boosted 4

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice kill! What kinda times are you running and how much HP do you put out? I actually dont know anything about the AMG55s...

I know that Merc's have some fast ones. Isnt there an 11 second Merc out?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
03Cobra said:
Nice kill! What kinda times are you running and how much HP do you put out? I actually dont know anything about the AMG55s...

I know that Merc's have some fast ones. Isnt there an 11 second Merc out?
The S55 AMG is brand new and the specs are like 493hp/511tq not to shabby for a 4 door sedan. Definitely not a "kill" but a very nice comparison in performance at least from this limited opportunity I had.

I have not had the opportunity to bring my car up to the closest track ( Moroso ) yet but plan on it very very soon while the weather is still nice and cool down here. I have used a friends GTech pro which we used on my old 470rwhp TTZ and it was within 1 or 2 tenths and 1 or 2mph of what I actually ran at the track and it is giving me [email protected] on the rex ( babying the tranny though...no bangin' the shifts..)running at ~17.5psi so thats probably a fairly close number, but I refuse to post anything short of actual 1/4 times for what it runs...gtech just gives a decent indication imho.. Plus at the track I would definitely drop in some race gas and crank up to ~19psi. 0-60 comes up in 4.0-4.2 when I use my trusty stopwatch also.

I will find out HP numbers in late February when I'll get dyno tune and ECUTEK flash..I will be sure to post a hopefully nice dyno graph. My goal is ~300awhp.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SGOSWRX said:
Nice.
That had to be fun. I just love encounters like that.
yeah man, like yours with the C5 and the Porsche turbo! Those are the kind of acceleration contests I hold out for...The ones that are really a stretch for our little giant killers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
First let me state that I am not here to falme upon your encounter with the S55, infact you deserve mad props:) But I feel it should be stated that the car you raced was most definetly not the new suppercharged S55 AMG because simply, they are not availible yet. The car you raced must have been the N/A 5.5L 355 hp S55. But do not underestimate these beast they sprint 0-60 in about 5.5 sec. I just thought you may want to know so you can prepare for the near 500 hp beast that will be ariving here in a few months. Just a note for future refrence the current S55 has dual ex tips in the rear, the new S/C ariving soon will also have dual tips but each exit will have 2 ex ports "on each side." Again, this was not intended to flame but to educate you for future reference.:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
That sounds more like it. A 355 HP against the WRX Stage4. More of a even race.

As for the 911 Turbo kills. Who's dreaming... Those things are 11 second cars stock. 0-60 in the 3's, AWD, and prolly 10's with practice. I would get KILLED by one becuase of there traction advantage.

I know the Stage4's are supposed to be fast. But to think they can handle cars like Vipers and 911 Turbo's.... I seriously doubt that.

All this talk about the Stage4's and I have yet to see any dyno numbers and track times. I hear a LOT of smack....

No flames, just setting the record straight too...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
221 Posts
if you want to see dyno numbers or track times maybe you should do you trolling outside of the wrx vs. the world forum.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
need4spd said:
First let me state that I am not here to falme upon your encounter with the S55, infact you deserve mad props:) But I feel it should be stated that the car you raced was most definetly not the new suppercharged S55 AMG because simply, they are not availible yet. The car you raced must have been the N/A 5.5L 355 hp S55. But do not underestimate these beast they sprint 0-60 in about 5.5 sec. I just thought you may want to know so you can prepare for the near 500 hp beast that will be ariving here in a few months. Just a note for future refrence the current S55 has dual ex tips in the rear, the new S/C ariving soon will also have dual tips but each exit will have 2 ex ports "on each side." Again, this was not intended to flame but to educate you for future reference.:D
No, I am sorry but your dead wrong on their availability. It was absolutely a brand new s/c'd S55 AMG. They are indeed here now and I have seen one personally up close as my old Porsche mechanic who has also helped me with some of my WRX mods has one!!! He got one of the first available in the country. brand new, got it last month, beautiful bad in black! I suggest you take a look in the back of Autoweek magazine in the car ad's to see all the ones that are already for sale...

I have seen it up close and personal, sat in one, know exactly what it looks like and the one I raced yesterday was indeed a new s/c'd S55 AMG, there is no doubt in my mind and yes they are here now. I wouldnt have bothered posting it otherwise!

For you non-believers in what a stage 4+ wrx is capable of, I have absolutely nothing to prove. I let the car do the talking for me. Magazine racing by the numbers doesnt mean squat in the real world. Dont forget that even with all the hp/tq that the S55 AMG has it also weighs more than half a ton ( closer to a ton? ) more than my 2,997 lb WRX ( yes it has gone on a diet ).

My WRX will do 0-60 in 4sec flat when I get aggressive..that is competitive with most any super high performance car availble. I am not stupid enough to believe I have a chance against porsche turbo's ect over 100mph but under that speed vs anything you can name that is stock it is going to be a very close contest and come down to driver and reaction and shifting many times!

·
Registered
125 Posts
You're right. Power to weight ratio is vital and so is traction. My stock 03 Cobra is rated @ 0-60 in 4.5 . Now, do you think we can all achieve that everytime? No. My car now is prolly 0-60 in 4 flat with stock tires. Even faster with sticky tires.

The problem is this. Yes the Stage4 (what ever that means) is quick and very respectable. No doubt you can pull fast 0-60 times. But what keeps a car acclerating above 60? Torque and HP. Wind resistance, gearing, etc. all play bigger roles at higher speeds. You *might* give most cars trouble to 60 or even 70. The Porsche 911 Turbo will take you to 60 and pull VERY VERY hard away from you after that. I'd say they have at least 1 second on you in the 1/4 maybe even 2... I have no idea what a Stage4 can do but I've read and heard everythin from high 11's to high 12's.... Thats a BIG difference. So which is it? I notice your sig has neither times nor HP.

-----------------------------------
03 Cobra (me): 550 HP and 3650 = 6.6:1

03 Viper: 500 HP and 3357 lbs = 6.7:1 ratio

02 Z06: 400Hp and 3150 lbs = 7.8:1

911 Turbo: 415 HP and 3388 lbs = 8.1:1 ratio

02 WRX (Stage4): 350HP and 2950 = 8.4:1
(I am guessing the HP)

03 S55 AMG: 493HP and 4300 lbs = 8.7:1

AND THE WINNER IS (as I pat myself on the ass)...03 Cobra.... Now, ofcourse a lightly modded 03 Viper would take me. Interestingly enough they are rated at 12.1 @ 121 and I did a 12.0 @ 118. Other 03 Cobra's with similar mods have sub 11.5 second runs with better tires.

As for the money issue. Hmmmmm. I would say the 03 Cobra with $1800 in mods and best ratio wins again. Sorry, I just love this car...

Looking at the S55's ratio I can believe you should edge and take one...

But for the others. Even with a bad driver, those kind of ratio's allow for at least one mis-shift.

-----------------------------

I'm not knocking the WRX. Its prolly THE most amazing 4 cyl ever built! And yours sounds fast. Props to you. I just dont like people stating a Stage4 will beat up on Porsche 911 T's and the like...

I think the 911 GT2 is the fastest? Wonder what they do... Yikes!

:)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
03Cobra,

TurboXS specs on stage4+TMIC on their car from their website ( with video of run ):

0-60 in 3.3sec
1/8mi in [email protected]
1/4mi in [email protected]

their car not mine, but these are some of the specs available on their website for "stage 4+" type setups.

again, I 'll post all my specs when I have time to get them. I have only had this stage of upgrades for about three weeks and currently the nearest awd dyno that can tune for me is over 1,000miles away! Dyno tuning in late feb but I'll do some 1/4 runs before then if time permits between job and family obligations. All I can do now is post any real world scenarios...I'm kinda wishing I hadnt bothered to at this point since anyone who doesnt have a similar setup doesnt know how strong the little car will run, especially up through 3rd.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Then we are really comparing a bonafide race car to stock street cars or even lightly tuned street cars.

Those are some pretty good numbers. I am certain the MAJORITY of WRX owners have not *gutted* there cars to hang with the big boys.

There is one guy who posts here who has a "Stage4" and boasts only high 12's... Why so different? Obviously the definition of "Stage4" is used to describe many things. Hence there is no true definition of the term Stage(anything).... I assume this is one companies definition of *their* "Stage4"...

0-60 in 3.3 is down right UGLY! Gonna fight the big boys in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it was the new S/C S55 I stand corrected:p I was under the impresion that thes were not available until late feb or march because my mother is first on the waiting list here in the SF bay area and we were told the first alotment isn't even on the ship. I think our salesman has some explaining to do:mad: anyway mad props on your run, it makes me want to :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
PHEER!

2004 Lightning

500HP/500TQ

4 Valve 5.4 L supercharged, intercooled, supercooled (new regenerative HVAC intake charge supercooler, extra 50HP on tap!!!)

Cobra = OWNED

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.