Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I just purchased a brand new 2019 WRX Sport Tech. I live in Ontario, Canada and we do get a lot of snow/ice therefore a lot of salt on the roads. The dealership tried to sell me a Final Coat Rust Module for $1000 but i refused. Seemed like a scam to me. Just wondering what are peoples thoughts concerning the best way to rust proof my WRX? Also, is the stock paint/body relatively resistant on its own to chips and rust damage? Thank you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Maine is most definitely a Salt Belt State . . .

As mentioned . . . when it comes to paint . . . most modern paint jobs will hold up pretty well for many, many years . . . 10-15 years at least I would guess based on personal experience.

Underneath the car it is a different story . . . some folks around here do use Fluid Film (you can either DIY or get it done . . . it's expensive either way and to me smells like sheep anus). The stuff does seem to work pretty well at protecting the undercarriage where the bulk of the salt will do its nasty business. Fluid Film reminds me a bit of the old mechanic's trick of coating the undercarriage with used oil as a barrier against the salt-covered slush and moisture . . . only it's a bit more environmentally friendly.

Incidentally . . . I did nothing to my vehicle.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've been researching this and am going with fluid film or krown. Both are similar and are a lanolin base oil that expels water significantly delaying rust.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
I use fluid film on quite a bit. That stuff works great. It'll keep uncoated rotors fairly rust free and easily pulled from the hub.

I highly suggest doing it yourself if possible some coat shops will drill weepholes in panels that may or may not have a negative impact later.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have used Corrosion Free on my 02 WRX and 07 Spec B. Messy stuff - like snot but lasts for approx. 3 yrs. on the undercarriage - forever internal doors and rear quarters , etc. $300 at a local shop. I pulled back my trunk liners so they could spray in the rear quarters. I suggest you ask them to limit the spraying of engine area because it is messy if you need to do maintenance or repair. On my 02 WRX the windows were very sluggish - work like a charm now. Much easier to work on undercarriage, suspension, etc. The stuff will drip out of your door drain holes and from door handles, etc. but can easily be washed. The owner of the shop says he has the contract for the town mail trucks and that's proven successful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have discovered that allot of decay comes from the top down. Pull the seats, carpet and the sound damping pad. Treat the floor with whatever goo you can to create a water barrier. That salty snow combo you get on your shoes end up soaked up in the carpet and onto the floor. Imho it is worth the effort.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts