Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read so much about running rich upon installing an aftermarket BOV. if this is right, what should i do to fix it? will replacing the intake system with a CAI or RAM fix it? If not, what will do?

thanks!
just a newb question. :confused:

excess:
the reason i'm thinking of a CAI or RAM will fix it is because of the extra air that goes in - that will even out the extra fuel being dumped in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its not from just replacing the BOV, its if you replace it with a fully atmospheric venting bov, such as you have, the car will run rich between shifts. Nothing you can so to fix it except get a 50/50 bov. Though people say this is bad i have yet to hear a problem that can be traced to that. And one of the guys i know that has raced turbo porsches for like 20 years says this is good cause it cools the turbo and other engine parts as engines run cooler on richer settings. not sure if this is true but it sound theoretically possible

just my thoughts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes, internal temps are cooler when running rich. This is why Subaru uses these fuel maps, but it's also the reason for three cats and a very restricted exhaust. Over rich conditions are not good. Reflashing the ECU is really the only way to accurately and reliabley alter fuelling

GotWRX03, There are alot of ways to blow money on this car, but if you're looking for real performance, do some research and find out what the heavy hitters are doing. Shiny new BOV's are fine after other extensive modifications, but they will not make your stock WRX go faster or better or improve your fuel economy. Or increase the life of your spark plugs. Or help the cats in your exhaust.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know that the BOV is not going to help me right now. i only bought it for the "sound-effect" - i guess if it runs a little bit richer on shifts, then it'd be okay. i'll just have to deal with it - i just hope that it's not too rich that it will hurt the engine.

performance - i'm on my way there. i'm still working on getting some extra money before i can start working on big stuff. i've done so much search on this forum that the only results i've gained is the fact that there's much performance parts available for the rex - but results from these performance parts are pretty much subjuctive - some say this and some say that .... i'll have to do more research.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

what happens, is you build up some boost and shift....you have boost, and your ecu gives the engine extra gas so the high boost won't lean out the mixture and make your engine misfire. Then your bov blows off a little air and makes the mixture even richer.

I really don't see how running a 50/50 bov is a good thing, I mean between shifts you are just cycling back some hot air to the intake, which would just get hotter as it goes through the turbo. I dunno, I have a gfb bov and switched it from 50/50 to 100% yesterday....Really doesn't make a difference......I hear it makes your exhaust shoot fire though:)(the 100% that is).

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: hey

hippy78 said:
I really don't see how running a 50/50 bov is a good thing, I mean between shifts you are just cycling back some hot air to the intake, which would just get hotter as it goes through the turbo.
I think it's a probably better than 100% atm because the stock ECU is expecting that extra blast of air into the intake charge, which would lean out the mixture. The stock valve is 100% recirc, isn't it?

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

no....like I said...it would make it less rich with the 100%. This is because the turbo is spinning and suckin in air through the compressor side....so there is a vacume in the turbo inlet hose, no matter what air goes in there from the intake or the bypass valve, the turbo will get the same amount of air. If the bypass valve is flowin air back, there will just be less of a vacume(or if enough air is going back it will go out the intake, but it won't get shoved into the turbo!), but there will be hotter air in there, which will make the engine run leaner(I would think). Now if you were running 100%, the air goin into the turbo during this time would be cooler and therefore make your engine less lean. That's just how it seems to me, I'm no expert...

I would rather have the 100%, cause I think that once air goes through the turbo, it shouldn't go back:).

peace

·
Registered
275 Posts
Well, I think those pointy head engineers at Fuji Heavy Industries just had their
a$$es handed to them. Hippy, you might consider reading the abundant information available via various internet sites (not unlike this one), or better yet, speak to a race mechanic/engineer, especially one who works on the WRX. They deal with real information and have to make decisions based on this information.

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

I do read, and talk to mechanics....I just made a theory and stated that it was just that. Wierd how you can't explain why it doesn't work that way. Weren't we talkin about running rich, and not me? Is the name of this chat rag on hippy? I don't get that either, and no I do not want a response to this post. I was asking a question with my last post, and you were very helpful. If you know so much, you should explain why you think I am wrong.

thank you

ps-see how I wrote in the last post "I am no expert". I hope you can comprehend what that means..

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Re: hey

hippy78 said:
ps-see how I wrote in the last post "I am no expert". I hope you can comprehend what that means..
Hippy, I think your condescending tone is what pisses so many of us off. If you would drop the "holier than thou" attitude, you wouldn't be seeing so many threads go down in flames. My $.02
:rolleyes:

·
Banned
601 Posts
hey

can't help but feel like god when everyone is jealous of you:). haha....anyways I really don't try to act that way, and I am sorry you feel that I do. Everything I write on here is with the best intentions(except after someone rags on me maybe). eh

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hippy, I consider it a privilege to be able to both recieve and impart information. Any knowlege I happen to posess is hard come by, either through my own experience, or more likely through my contact with knowlegable people, some of whom are right here on this forum. In fact, I communicate regularly with mechanics, engineers and drivers, all of whom have forgotten more about cars than I know, and all are always willing to put up with my questions and general pestering. However, I can tell you that I would not be in this privileged position if I was always running my mouth instead of paying attention.

Having a "theory" is great, but in an effort to provide real hard information to someone who needs it, a theory for which there is an overwhelming abundance of contradicting data is not very useful and can downright confuse the issue. If there is, on occasion, any information I might have that can be useful to another, and for which there is a substantial amount of supporting evidence, then I'll post it here to the best of my ability. If I'm unsure, then I won't simply open my mouth (as it were) just to up my post count, especially if there is someone who needs/wants accurate information.

Like I said, having a theory is great because it means you are thinking. If you want to test your "theory" then you can go get your engineering credentials and spend twenty years in the field, and/or you can do what I do: keep your mouth shut and your ears open.

peace, Hippy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts