Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been pretty active on topics concerning exhausts lately, and was wondering what your opinions are on running no muffler?

My neighbor owns a lowered '02 Chevy, with a High powered 5.3L GM engine swap :eek: , and his exhaust ends DIRECTLY under the middle of his truck. He told me that he's been pulled over three times by cops who are checking for no-cat setups. He says that they cant believe how loud his truck is but that his setup is legal since he still has EVERY cat, yet no CAT-BACK.

So, I take it that it would be legal for me to run with no muffler, since it appears that he is? Also, is this going to be WAY to loud, or will it be reasonable since I have yet to replace ANY exhaust pipes?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I ran removed the rear section for a race at a local track and it was the craziest sound ever. I had everyone turning heads since it sounded like a V8 and the turbo spools freely. It's such an amazing sound but then the performance is truely lost since there is no backpressure for the low end torque to kick in. Try just unbolting the rear section after the midpipe and seperate the two pipes about an inch apart and start the car.

-alex

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
wRxOne said:
It's such an amazing sound but then the performance is truely lost since there is no backpressure for the low end torque to kick in.
Who told you that was true?

You can easily take you muffler off for some added sound. It sounds pretty good, and is by no means too loud. Plus, the price is right.

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
The turbo is the restriction which also supplies the back pressure.

From what I heard....opening the exhaust in a turbo car helps the turbo spool up faster

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yah, I was thinking of taking off JUST the muffler for now and obviously Leaving everything else in place.

It seems that with all the cats on our car, that it shouldn't make a HUGE sound difference with no muffler
Is anyone out there running this setup or know firsthand what it sounds like?

Thanks for the responses all- later

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey PlatNmRex, taking off your muffler (and leaving the rest of the exhaust in place) will make a HUGE difference in sound. Your car will be freaking LOUD. Try it, you'll see. Conversly, removing all the cats and running the stock muffler is just barely louder than stock. The muffler aint called a muffler for nothing. You'll really get to hear what that boxer engine sounds like though if you take off the muffler. If you really want to free up the exhaust just go to a muffler shop and buy a cheap magnaflow muffler and have an axleback made for about $150... it's a straight through design and will sound nice (loud, but not nearly as loud as running without a muffler) and it will flow a lot better than stock.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Man.. its really not THAT loud without the muffler.. it sounds really good, but its a little bit groggy. I still wish mine were a little louder than not having the muffler.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
regardless of whether you got all your cats on or not, you can still be cited for violating noise ordinances. is it common? its probably like window tint...the older you are the less likely you are to get pulled over for it. but if I cop pulled you over and really wanted to give you a ticket for something, making too much noise IS against the law.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I had an open downpipe once. I was getting exhaust so I just put the stock axle back portion on so cops wouldn't be suspicious. That was so damn loud. I only had it like that for a day, but I couldn't imagine running that setup all the time. Since there was no backpressure, I remember feeling the loss of torque. However, when you're at higher speeds, it seemed less evident. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
just a thought, but leaving an open tailpipe under your car isn't a good idea because you can end up with exhaust in your car if youre not moving too much. Aside from just not being good for you, you could pass out and/or die from too much CO and CO2 in the cab. Most states also have laws mandating that your tailpipe must end near the outer portion of your vehicle. Heck, I remember Mass. law (from when I lived there) said tailpipes MUST extend beyond the rear wheels...even in commercial trucks. I think in CA, you still have to have your tailpipe must extend farther than the passanger compartment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts