ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
You should run a heat shield as it will help reduce heat soak with your TMIC. You can trim the stocker or Cobb makes a nice peice for around $50. Also, the SPT heat shield will suffice.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
I trimmed the stocker to fit over mine with both of my DP installs. Takes a few minutes with a dremel.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I trimmed the stocker to fit over mine with both of my DP installs. Takes a few minutes with a dremel.
In a perfect world:rolleyes: I hacked and hacked at mine intell I bought a Cobb heat sheild:)

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
In a perfect world:rolleyes: I hacked and hacked at mine intell I bought a Cobb heat sheild:)
What's the big deal? Put heat shield over new pipe, draw lines with marker to know where to cut. Put on eye protection, turn on dremel. Patiently cut along line. Be careful not to cut yourself on the metal. (I wear work gloves, since I'm a pansy)

If you believe that I live in a "perfect world", you sir, are quite mistaken. :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I'm running without a heat shield on my bell mouth dp, though the hot side of the turbo and upper portion of the dp are wrapped. When my car was stock with the heat shield, the side of the ic near the turbo would burn my hand if I touched it after driving. Now, after driving I can touch that same spot and it is noticeably cooler, no burning. I doubt a heat shield would make a detectable difference. wrap > heat shield

cheaper too

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just installed my divorced DP saturday and had to hack my heat shield to the point of scrap metal to get it out :p . But like Yossarian was talking about heat before and after was very noticible but a big factor for heat shields to keep heat in not just to keep surrounding things cooler. Turbos alwas run better when kept at a constant temp which is what the heat shield is doing on our turbos.

PS i use heat shields every day in my work and understand their uses

So moral of story is heat shield good, running with out one is not going to hurt but it can only help you to have one i recommend COBB's.(got one on its way :) )

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
I doubt a heat shield would make a detectable difference. wrap > heat shield
-1. wrap + heat shield > wrap > heat shield
It just makes sense.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
-1. wrap + heat shield > wrap > heat shield
It just makes sense.
+1
I was referring to my car with the wrap when I said a heat shield would not make a difference. If your turbo and dp are not wrapped then a heat shield would be necessary. All I'm saying is wrapping is far more effective and cheaper than a heat shield.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
+1
I was referring to my car with the wrap when I said a heat shield would not make a difference. If your turbo and dp are not wrapped then a heat shield would be necessary. All I'm saying is wrapping is far more effective and cheaper than a heat shield.
link to wrapping the turbo please...

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
The whole underside of my Cusco heat shield shield has adhesive backed thermo tec heat barrier. It helps quite a bit IMO. :cool:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
link to wrapping the turbo please...
No. Just search for a deal. You can buy kits specific to the wrx that are kind of expensive or you can just use exhaust wrap for the dp and hot side of the turbo, which is what I did. I found some exhaust wrap for cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
No. Just search for a deal. You can buy kits specific to the wrx that are kind of expensive or you can just use exhaust wrap for the dp and hot side of the turbo, which is what I did. I found some exhaust wrap for cheap on ebay.
i hate to hijack, but i just can't see how its possible to get the wrap on the turbo.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
You could use a turbo blanket? I've only seen them on big HP'ed Supras before. I dont think the TD04 will get that hot.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
After looking at turbo and trying to figure out how to wrap it without a blanket I said F'it and glued header wrap to the underside and top side of the heat shield, and made up another one for the extra hole on TMIC bracket...Huge difference in temps out of IC...

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
After looking at turbo and trying to figure out how to wrap it without a blanket I said F'it and glued header wrap to the underside and top side of the heat shield, and made up another one for the extra hole on TMIC bracket...Huge difference in temps out of IC...
+1 thats what I did.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts