ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I'm new to the forums and I just bought a 2002 WRX wagon last night and I love it so far! However I'm a little worried though because the previous owner had a cold air intake and a catback exhaust installed and had it tuned for these mods on his cobb accessport but he removed the tune and the accessport right before I left with the car so I've been running without a tune. I've read on the forums that running a cold air intake without a tune can be risky business. I currently don't have the funds to grab an accessport at the moment and won't get my next paycheck till the 15th which is in 9 days. I was wondering if its okay to drive the car like this for the time being until I'm able to get myself an accessport. Thanks for reading guys!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your car will automatically calibrate for those adjustments even without a tune. When you start adding more & more to the car, then yes it's highly recommended that you get a tune. For the time being are you safe? Yes. However, I would definitely invest in a tune just to take full-advantage of the mods you have on the car right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?! That's a relief.. phew. Yeah I am planning to get a tune asap. Lots of people have told me it really brings the car alive

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,679 Posts
There are no data to support the notion that the intake is "safe." There are no data, so we cannot know. What data have been posted in the past have almost universally indicated that several intakes affect sensor readings, and so potentially scaling.

Subaru sold an intake under the "SPT" label that was OK to use in terms of fueling. Whether it is safe or not in terms of fueling, it is unlikely to be effective at its intended role -- keeping dirt out of the engine -- since the filtration is unlikely to be adequate compared to the excellent authentic plain-Jane stock Subaru parts.

If it were my car, I would find someone that doesn't understand all this, and is thus selling his/her stock authentic intake for cheap, and buy that to fit on my car. If it's an SPT intake I might keep it, but that's an exception and I'd still debate it.

The catback makes noise but does no further harm.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,679 Posts
But can't with a 2002 you use it without the tune?? I thought they were more liberal I thought.. 04+ is where it gets sticky?
Because of the way the ECU is set up, the bugeye cars tolerate exhaust mods better than later cars. The intake remains questionable, at least in my mind -- such as it is. In any case, the bugeye has IMO little to gain with an intake anyway, especially at that stage, so all it's doing at best is allowing more dirt to enter the engine.

·
Æternum
19,985 Posts
I sure wouldn't.

But then the bigger question should be added: what value would it add if you could?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts