Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well in another thread I told everyone there was a good chance I'd be one of the first people to run into a neon SRT-4. I live pretty close to the Chrysler HQ and see the engineers out in the cars.

So today I was out shopping with my girlfriend, and what do I see parked in a strip mall? A Yellow SRT-4. That's the good news. The bad news is that I was driving my girlfriends KIA :D.

It was a manufacturer's car, obviously one of the engineers had it out. The lmanufacturers have special license plates for pre-production cars so that's how you can tell. For some reason it had a roll bar in it.

My girlfriend, being as cool as she is, was like "let's go get the WRX and run him." So we shot back to my place and picked up the WRX. Just as I pulled in the lot he got in hsi car, so I followed him. Here is a picture...

I followed him for a couple miles trying to catch a light but was unable to. His exhaust was VERY loud, there is no way that will go into production that way. He was getting the loudest pops between shifts I have every heard.

I finally pulled up enxt to him and we talked, but we were rolling at 30 MPH so it was tough. He said it was not a production model, but it was pretty close. I asked him if he would run me. You could tell he wanted to, but he was like "nah, I can't". A mile or so up, he turned off and waved.

I'll keep trying :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to snap pics and report! The SRT-4/WRX saga continues. :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
haha, I would have hijacked his car, had a friend drive it, and make an "owned" video :D j/k

Good find.

·
Registered
167 Posts
my guess is that he probably saw your camera and knew you would take pics of his ass being handed to him, and with you taking the pics of the plates he would get in trouble for making the car look bad

or maybe he just wasnt allowed to race it :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I get a kick out of every SRT4 thread on the WRX boards. The ignorance...the arrogance...such fun :eek:

I am so damn tempted to buy one and make an open call to all stock WRXs just to end the constant speculation.

VV

And how dare them throw round headlights and a spoiler on a neon. Such WRX imitators.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
VetteVert said:
I get a kick out of every SRT4 thread on the WRX boards. The ignorance...the arrogance...such fun :eek:

I am so damn tempted to buy one and make an open call to all stock WRXs just to end the constant speculation.

VV

And how dare them throw round headlights and a spoiler on a neon. Such WRX imitators.
Yeah!

So there!

misterx

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yup, I think I saw 1 too. It was red and parked at Great lakes Crossing (near Daimer Chrysler HQ)...I'm not totally sure cause I don;t know the markings for it, but it was definitely NOT a regular neon.
But maybe it was a modded neon...

I saw the wing as pictured above...the body seemed shorter (length-wise) than the neons I'm used to seeing...the front had a scoop down low (like the turbo mini's) and I think I could make out a fmic...had those front round lights with the excess mascara. I think that was the SRT-4...correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
153 Posts
VetteVert said:

VV

VV,
I'll agree to a couple of things. The neon had round headlights first. The SRT-4 back spoiler doesn't particularly look like the WRX spoiler.

Having said that, doesn't the hood scoop on the SRT-4 look like the hood scoop on the WRX? Now if the SRT-4 had a TMIC, I could understand it, but the SRT-4 has a FMIC. Do you really think that this hood scoop has any purpose but to make it look like a WRX?

Rich

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, I don't think it looks like a WRX hoodscoop. I think it looks like a mini cooper S hood scoop. The scoop directs airflow over the turbo to cool it. Seams entirely plausible to me.

VV

Rich10 said:

VV,
I'll agree to a couple of things. The neon had round headlights first. The SRT-4 back spoiler doesn't particularly look like the WRX spoiler.

Having said that, doesn't the hood scoop on the SRT-4 look like the hood scoop on the WRX? Now if the SRT-4 had a TMIC, I could understand it, but the SRT-4 has a FMIC. Do you really think that this hood scoop has any purpose but to make it look like a WRX?

Rich

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's not a WRX if it's not AWD

It's not a WRX w/o the boxer rumble

It's not a wRX w/o the proven rally history

It is a neon with round headlights, a scoop, and a wing. i don't think dodge is trying to do anything ( like copy the WRX) except put popular components into an affordable performance minded car. Good for them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
VetteVert said:
No, I don't think it looks like a WRX hoodscoop. I think it looks like a mini cooper S hood scoop. The scoop directs airflow over the turbo to cool it. Seams entirely plausible to me.

VV

So the scoop directs airflow over the turbo to cool it. Isn't this "hood scoop turbo cooler" missing from the PT Cruiser Turbo (whatever they call it) which has the same engine. A "hood scoop turbo cooler" also seems to be missing from every other current turbo car that I can think about (with the exception of the WRX which has some of the air from the hood scoop directed towards the turbo). As for the hood scoop looking like the mini cooper S, IIRC the hood scoop on the mini cooper S is used for the intercooler. Does it really seem entirely plausible to you that the motivation for the hood scoop on the SRT-4 wasn't to mimic the WRX?

I'm not necessarily criticizing the copying of a design item of the WRX (which was a successful car introduction). I am saying that we should be realistic as to why the hoodscoop probably exists on the SRT-4.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Now that you mention it, I remember late 80's ZX's having a hood scoop of some sort (or duct) in the hood. I also remember the 924 turbo having some sort of hood scoop or duct in the hood. I don't remember if it was for engine cooling, a turbo cooler, an intercooler, or just for appearance.

Look, I think its great that Dodge is offering a car like the SRT-4. Hopefully, it will encourage VW, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc. to follow suit. I just think that it's fairly obvious that the hood scoop was inspired by the WRX.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rich10 said:
I just think that it's fairly obvious that the hood scoop was inspired by the WRX.
Um. Not even close. The SRT-4's hoodscoop doesn't protrude from the rest of the hood, like the WRX's. It is lower profile... i.e., you can't even see it from the side, like you can the WRX's. Obviously, it was not inspired by the WRX.

·
Registered
153 Posts
JimmyNY said:

Um. Not even close. The SRT-4's hoodscoop doesn't protrude from the rest of the hood, like the WRX's. It is lower profile... i.e., you can't even see it from the side, like you can the WRX's. Obviously, it was not inspired by the WRX.
Um. Pretty close. This is a car with a hood mounted scoop where none is needed. It doesn't feed an intercooler. Chrysler has had a number of turbo cars in the past and (to my recollection) never had a hood scoop turbo cooler. Is it identical to the hood scoop on the WRX? No. Is it similar to the hood scoop on the WRX and likely unnecessary for performance? IMHO, Yes.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Rich10 said:

Is it identical to the hood scoop on the WRX? No. Is it similar to the hood scoop on the WRX and likely unnecessary for performance? IMHO, Yes.
So the WRX inspired it HOW? It doesn't look the same, OR perform the same task. You are ASSUMING the designers of the car saw the WRX and said, "hey, that would look good on our car." Who are you to make an assumption like that?

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, I don't think it was to mimic a wrx. I don't think it is plausible that a company will model a performance version of a car that sells > 100,000 vehicles, one that will be limited to probably less than 5,000, on a vehicle that sells ~30,000 copies. Do you really think after all the flack subaru has taken over it's dorky styling that another car manufacturer is going to copy it!?

VV

Rich10 said:

So the scoop directs airflow over the turbo to cool it. Isn't this "hood scoop turbo cooler" missing from the PT Cruiser Turbo (whatever they call it) which has the same engine. A "hood scoop turbo cooler" also seems to be missing from every other current turbo car that I can think about (with the exception of the WRX which has some of the air from the hood scoop directed towards the turbo). As for the hood scoop looking like the mini cooper S, IIRC the hood scoop on the mini cooper S is used for the intercooler. Does it really seem entirely plausible to you that the motivation for the hood scoop on the SRT-4 wasn't to mimic the WRX?

I'm not necessarily criticizing the copying of a design item of the WRX (which was a successful car introduction). I am saying that we should be realistic as to why the hoodscoop probably exists on the SRT-4.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts