Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm knew to the scene, but i stumbled across this site today and couldn't help but notice that for 4,800 dollars u can buy a mod kit from COBB that, as they claim, will get ur suby runnin high 12's wit a 0-6 comparable to that of a Z06, if not better b/c of AWD. i'd like some peoples opinion on this, and if they think it is worth it. http://cobbtuning.com/aps-cobb/aps/rtspecincludes.html

i can't remember where it gave the track times and specs n'stuff, it was an article somewhere on the page. but it bumps you up to 320hp (can't remember torque).

·
1,911 Posts
At $4800 it's not bad. I run a similar list of mods for my kits but use a bigger turbo and a bigger front mount intercooler kit. I call mine the Stage II+ and it includes the following:
Blitz SUS
Godspeed Uppipe
Godspeed Downpipe
Exhaust of your choice
PE1818F or 1820F
Blitz LM intercooler kit
Blitz BOV
Sti injectors
PE fuel pump
Unichip

It runs around $6000 give or take depending on what exhaust you choose. Here's my dyno chart wit the above:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm kind of a newbie to this kind of stuff, but what exactly is the differnce between an uppipe and a downpipe, and what purpase do they serve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cobb Price

Well, it does not cost 4800.00 read the fine print, it is not offered as a DIY kit. You have to pay them to install it, so it comes out to 5787.00...not too cheap.......for what you get. I like Dan's turbo better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WishIHadASuby said:
i'm kind of a newbie to this kind of stuff, but what exactly is the differnce between an uppipe and a downpipe, and what purpase do they serve.
Uppipe is in front of the turbo, downpipe is on the back of the turbo.

As for what do the STOCK uppipe/downpipe serve? --> RESTRICTION/Emissions :mad:

Jared.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i figured installation was gonna cost about 1000$ for all of that. i would never be able to afford the 4800$ to begin with anyways, but if it was ever possible it would be something to consider. what do you guys think is the best you can do for performance for 1000$ or under?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
question: why an uppipe and not a downpipe? what makes an upipe more useful than a downpipe.

·
1,911 Posts
Uppipe will help your turbo spool up quicker and is best to do when your car is very new as your bolts seize up quickly. Uppipe is before your turbo on the inlet side so it obviously restricts flow quite a bit more than the downpipe on the outlet side. It also lowers your EGT's by 100 degrees or so.

·
Registered
40 Posts
gah...I want an up-pipe so bad :(

With nearly 9k on the car now, I bet those bolts are gunna be a bish to get out :mad:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know, all other things equal, what the HP difference is between a stock WRX and a WRX w/ Uppipe? Not that it really matters (who really cares about HP numbers anyway?), I'm just curious. I think it is one of the first mod I will do after I get my WRX on Monday (if my dang insurance settlement check finally comes then!).

-Rob

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
A catless uppipe w/ Samco intercooler hoses netted 20 hp and 15 lbs of torque over stock (Cobb dyno). Add to this a quicker spool up, lower egts and no cat to disinegrate into your turbo- this makes for a very good mod.

Big Sky

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have heard horror stories about Cobb from some guys I met receently at the Daytona show. And for a $1000 for install that is kind of cheap from what I have heard. Titanmotorsports gave me a quote of $1200 for practically the same thing except no turbo replacement but uppipe and they are the cheapest of anyone around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thechickencow said:
How much for the uppipe, and how tough is it to install myself?
I just put in a GodSpeed Uppipe ($200). Took me and my dad 6 hours to do, but we took our time. It was real easy to do on mine since I had right at 1000 miles, no bolts/nuts/sensors were seized. Lots of cuts and scrapes on my hands though.

But what a difference!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Jared.

·
Registered
6 Posts
God,
Since an uppipe is "for off road use only" what kind of trouble can one get into if some how it's found out that you put your uppipe or any catless uppipe on?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts