Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally traded in my RSX S with 02 WRX.. WOOT!!

Here's a review.

WRX was able to provide a whole lot smoother ride. Especially on the first gear, it did not Jerk around much as RSX. Gear changing was much smoother, except going into a first gear. Despite the fact that WRX is faster from the launch, RSX surely did 'feel' MUCH faster. I'm guessing it was because of a iVtec sound. Only thing I don't like about this car is the transimission noise and CUPHOLDER. Now guys... What RPM do you guys uaully launch with this car?? Once I tried launching at 6K, and I smelled something burning. What was that?? What about when you're racing?

By the way, I NEVER.. felt WRX losing the grip. GREAT CAR.

·
Banned
968 Posts
WHAT IS THAT BURNING SMELL! YOUR CLUTCH

·
Registered
511 Posts
the WRX "feels" less powerful because it is a more graceful power... when you launched in your old RSX, the front tires would slip/spin and you may of had some torque steer, thus making it "feel" more powerful.
ive noticed this too, when i ride in my friend's '89 mustang GT 5.0, his launches are loud and "feel" sweeeeet! yet i can beat him in a 0-110 race or so.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Funny, I drove my brothers RSX-S and his seemed to be a lot smoother shifting, A LOT smoother. I get a lot of jerkyness in 1st and 2nd gear when I let off the gas on my wrx, and a lot of noise too, sort of like the noise you get when going in reverse but a little quieter. Its just my opinion but the RSX-S seemed to be a smoother ride overall, but grip was a different story, the WRX was so much better.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
nyxjf said:
Now guys... What RPM do you guys uaully launch with this car?? Once I tried launching at 6K, and I smelled something burning.
If this is a new car, PLEASE don't do that again till you hit 1000 miles. :D

When I'm at the track, I try to launch around 5000-5500 so I have some room for first gear to actually do something before I have to shift.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unfortunately, it's not a new car.

don't know about your bro's car, but in my previous RSX, if you let go of the gas on 1st gr, the car jerks like you hit someone's car.
haha, maybe my opinion is biased, because I'm too excited about WRX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tranny

I recently drove an 2.5RS. The ride wasn't long enough to learn the tranny quirks, but it wasn't bad. History tells us, however, a honda transmision is tough to beat. I've heard good things about the RSX tranny.

·
Registered
124 Posts
yeah even on the STi which got criticised for haveing no low down power (don't know what drugs those journalists were on) I took off the other day from the lights shifting at 4500 to 5000 rpm hit 4th looked in the mirror and I could barely see the other cars I was that far ahead of them. I too am a reformed VTEC owner ;)
well still got the lude actually but man the WRX is alot more fun.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The RSX-S has poop power under 6000RPM. The thing you felt was probly the clutch being dumped and the car going forward... the Rex will do that too. The WRX is a hell of a lot faster than the RSX (former Celica owner... both cars are almost identical) and I have driven many Type-S's. Welcome to the Darkside. Just watch what you say here dont want to sound like a Ricer :D j/k.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I LOVED the RSX' shifter. 'Snikity-snikt' smooth, a flick of the wrist, slick as teflon. Felt the same as my friend's S2000. Nicer interior too. Handled pretty well.

That's about it. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's all about "sounding" faster...believe me. I used to own a '00 ITR that I loved, but the fact is the WRX stock vs stock is just faster. It's just so damn quiet you'd never really know until driving both for awhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I traded my 02 RSX-S in last night for a 03 Silver wagon. Unfortunately I'm still in the breakin period but I have driven several Rex's that weren't and I can tell you the WRX is definetely faster. Shifting in the RSX is definetely smoother especially with a shift kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts