Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am looking to buy an new car i am 18 years old and right now i am driving an 94 integra my friend got the RSX type S that car is powerful but everybody has that car already and i am really intrested in buying an WRX is there any comparison? can anybody help me out i went for a test drive it felt awesome but i didnt get to punch it b/c i was with he sales man.. please fill me up with some information.
thanks
Mike

·
Moderating on the run!
7,322 Posts
Both nice cars and about the same price. WRX tubo'd, RSX na'd. Both have good hp- RSX 200, WRX 227. RSX a little short on torque at 142, WRX 217. RSX has a 6 speed, WRX 5 speed. WRX has 2 pot fronts on a 11.4" rotor, RSX 1 pot on 11.8" rotor. The RSX is about 300 lbs lighter. WRX is all wheel drive w/ a limited slip in the rear, RSX front wheel drive w/ open diff.

Stock, the WRX will outperform the RSX in 0-60, 1/4 mile and 60-0. Very close in skidpad and slalom tests.

WRX much easier to mod partly because it's tubo'd, partly it's been around longer (Europe and Asia, not the US).

Hands down the WRX is the more versatile car- 1/4 mile, autox, track, rally- it can do it all.

Hope this helps. You'll probably get slightly different answers on the RSX forum;) .

Big Sky

·
Registered
292 Posts
The Nov 2001 Issue of SCC Mag compared the WRX Wagon to the RSX. I haven't read the article since October of Last year, but what I do remember is that they gave the RSX a few negative marks. The only negative remarks they gave on the WRX Wagon is that they wished it had fender flares like the Sedan does.

RSX: Ghetto sitting position, P.O.S. Sterio, Cabin Noise, and something bad about the suspsension (but forgot).

With most Honda engines you have to rev them up to high RPM's to get the performance out of them. The WRX will throw you back in the seat at 3k RPM. Hence the 142 vs 217 lb-ft of torque.

-- Rich

·
1,911 Posts
Actually Rich, my car is not unlike a VTEC motor now. No power below 4000 BUT after that watch out. I found the seating position in the RSX excellent and the suspensioin is a step down from previous arrangement but still works great. The RSX switched to strut front type suspension to save costs and space. Not a huge deal. Our cars use strut ft and rr. Biggest negative on the WRX are the pitiful brakes. My god they are aweful.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've never stepped foot in an RSX yet, I was just posting what I remembered from the article. The WRX brakes do suck. And the ABS system is real sensitive. What's the best upgrade for the buck on those brakes? I'd think replacing the calipers would probably be a must.

-- Rich

·
Registered
105 Posts
I drive 170 miles a day back and forth to work. I have used these brakes in hundreds of emergency situations. Everytime they were flawless...Period.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I have to agree with Scoob. I think the WRX has pretty awesome brakes. When it comes time to do the brake pads the first time, I'll probably throw some drilled and slotted rotors with some performance pads and see what kind of difference it makes.

I do wish the ABS was less sensitive though. Sometimes it comes on and you're just like, "WHY?"
I've only had it come on twice when it should have, once during the Quirk or Dirty Rally, and it did a nice job slowing the car down. Without I would've skidded well past where I wanted to stop. Most of the time, the ABS catches me by surprise. It should only come on if you've got the pedal down hard, but it seems to come on whenever the hell it feels like it!

-Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over on the RSX forums they do complain about the brakes as well. I have never had a problem though... Another flaw on the RSX is the crappy tires that come with it. My first upgrade would definitely be new tires all around!!! I like the way the WRX looks, and I just imagine what one sounds like...(dam I love turbo's). But after driving both I fell in love with the smoothness of the RSX. Interior design was also very appealing to me.

Remember:

both are very nice cars, and just give the aftermarket companies some time for parts. I am sure the RSX will have some pretty sweet stuff out soon.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
the interior of the rsx imo is better. but for performance, and value of future mods ( like hp/$) the wrx is better simply becasue it is a forced induction based car. tuning an rsx to that standard would be quite costly. it's been said a hundred times around here: for $350 you can have a mid 13 second car. getting the rsx there would be a lot more work and money.

the look of the car is completely personal taste, so that's up to you. i feel the rsx has some great amenities (sunroof, leather) but the 6 disc changer and the seats in the rex are better. they really compliment eachother quite well, where one leaves off, the other didn't.

i think the brakes in the wrx are okay, but could be better. and the tires on a factory wrx stink too. so wheels and rims are a must for both rides imo. my ABS was on today. snowing like a motherf*cker up here in boston.

dR

·
1,911 Posts
BigRich said:
I've never stepped foot in an RSX yet, I was just posting what I remembered from the article. The WRX brakes do suck. And the ABS system is real sensitive. What's the best upgrade for the buck on those brakes? I'd think replacing the calipers would probably be a must.

-- Rich
Yes Rich they do suck. I think it depends on what you drove before the Rex. I drove a Type R. Even stock the brakes were in Porsche territory. With my Endless pads they were jawdropping. Repeated 120-60 MPH stops were no problem at all. never warped a rotor. My WRX takes but one stop to turn my brake pedal into mush and the rotors to shake like leaves. Alwasy has since new. I upgraded the fluid to Motul 600 right away so I know that's not it. They are just woefully inadequate. Now caliper front upgrade is REQUIRED if you track the car. You will melt your caliper ppins if you do not upgrade so be careful. Cheapest upgrades are the Prodrive kit and the Stop Tech kit. Both are great with 4 pot calipers. My self I want the Endless 6 pot mini kit. Awesome but much more expensive than the first two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts