Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For your info, here in Australia the Type-R version only uses the RSX Type-S engine but with LSD, Recaros, full JDM bodykit but only 16" wheels, etc. Same 147KW or 200HP engine as RSX-S.
I went to test drive this car one day, the car was very beautiful inside and outside, I was hooked initially.

After 2 minutes warm up and with 98% empty tank, I started to cain it on the road with dealer inside (my friend!!) and fark was I disappointed. 1st gear took about 4-5 seconds to finish, shifted on red to 2nd gear so its in full iV-Tec zone and the car still wasn't pulling. Furthermore the engine noise was unrefined relative to the rest of car's look, and disappointing compared to older Type-R (B18C), and the redline's only 8000rpm.

I repeat. The car WASN't pulling at all and no shove in the back could be felt for the driver (the passenger can feel it of course because he's not the one driving). Same goes in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, no pulling power. No, not even 1st gear.

Anyone who's WRX is being beaten by an RSX even on a roll, you seriously need to learn shifting gears a bit better because the WRX should be a hell of a lot faster car and even more so with only slight mods.

Very disappointed with the RSX indeed. :(
Cornering wasn't that good either. It corners very well, high limits, etc, but the handling and feeling wasn't.

WRX is a lot faster car, trust me, except may be higher gears!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
cnoff said:
RSXSucks, I can't believe it took you a whole 4 1/2 hours to respond to that. Do you actually sleep sometimes?
I will sleep only when the whole world knows how absolutely awesome the WRX is compared to the RSX. Believe it or not, there are still some people out there who would prefer to buy something other than a WRX! I know, I can't believe it myself, but it's the truth! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think the Type R Integra in Australia comes with the same specs as the RSX Type S in the States does it? I think that the RSX Type S here in the states(don't know model name in Australia?)is a fantastic car, but to compare it constantly with the WRX is ridiculous. Both cars have similarities and idiosyncrasies in their own right. To justify that speed is the only aspect of owning an automobile is lame. The WRX may have the upper hand in the speed department, or the 0-60 mph accleration, but the RSX has many attributes of its own. I know this thread was about the Type R in Australia, but I just had to alleviate some thoughts.
One more thing, RSXSucks is just a troll that wanders hopelessly through WRX websites looking for another way upset people. I go to ClubRSX, but I don't start flame wars just for the sake of it. Grow up buddy, I know you have a Honda or Acura. Learn to appreciate what you have because others don't have the same fortune as everybody else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah you can't say a car sucks just because it dosent' pull, i'm sure it's a fun car to drive and different people look for differnt things when they buy a car.
Very TRUE!
And I'm sure the real JDM Type-R will be an awesome machine.

But I just wanted you guys to know that I think the WRX is a faster car than a RSX-S that's all!

I still haven't raced a RSX-S (Aussie Type-R) yet, but from my experience and my judgement, I think my S15 Silvia will walk at least 5 cars on it in the 1/4 mile to be absolutely minimum, but honestly I think that should be closer to 8-10 cars. And so should your slightest modded WRX (MBC, down pipe). ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
For 1 thing I am sure is that Integra Type R /RSX Type S are a chick
magnets. Most girls don't even notice my silver rex. But then when my friend and I cruise in his black 2000 Type-R, boy do they notice
you.

REXsucks go and enjoy your car, a RSX is still better then let say a
KIA :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell here in Australia ALL THE CHICKS even the ones that only ever read and read and read in the library know what's a WRX and they get really turned on when you tell them you drive a WRX or even better an STI edition....

Lots of young ladies drive WRXs themselves!

And my 'S15 Silvia in Black' is a Chick Magnet as well - not bluffing or being up myself just explaining the plain fact. :)

Type-Rs here are regarded as Boy Racers, they don't pull chicks at all as they're WHAT?? Turboless? :D S2000s don't really pull chicks here either whereas over there in the States I heard the chicks love it.

Oh well just shows how culturally different the 2 big muther countries are.:p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But I did hear the rumour that Honda Preludes and Toyota Celica GTS pull chicks as well in the states, now that f#$^% funnnnyy!!! :D

In Australia they sell alright too but no chick ever looks at them, chicks only DRIVE them because they are considered hairdressers' cars for taking boyfriends home when they're pissed! No offence to lude and GTS drivers.

In that regards, the Type-R isn't that bad afterall at least its considered a Boy Racer that might pull some....arr... developing chicks!

:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Humm ...

I surely didn't get my WRX to get women ... I would bought a used BMW 3 Series instead ... whatever, I'm having my fun w/ my WRX and that's all I care about. :p

·
Registered
310 Posts
Iruka, I think one of the reasons is that we in the States don't get
a lot of real sport cars. Most of those nice European sport coupes
are not available in the States. So these are some of the fast cars
we get to buy and pick up chicks with.

Domestic :

Mustang GT and other custom versions.
Camero SS
Firebird Trans-am
Corvette LT1, Z06
Dodge Neon RT / SRT-4
T-Birds

Import:

Celica GTS
MR2
Integra Type-S
Prelude Vtech
Civic Type-R
Corolla S
Sentra SE-R V spec
Mitsu Eclipes V6
Mitsu Lancer OZ special
BMW 3 series/M3
MB C230 coupe
Volve 1.8T
VW Golf/Jetta 1.8T
Saab 95 97
Audi A4 S4 TT
Mini Copper
Impreza WRX

As you can see we don't have a lot to choose from. Also the
percentage of ppl in the States that drive stick is very low according
to Road and Track article.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You aren't missing a great deal.
A WRX is a great car, lots of traction, speed, looks are disputable but nothing a bodykit can't fix!!

Skylines R33 Gts-t and GTR and R34s and S15 Silvia are what you guys are really missing out on. I hope you get them sooner or later - although production will stop in August 2002 !

·
Registered
310 Posts
Iruka you are exactly right. We never got the Nissen power toys.
Now the GTR and Silva are all but fond memories ( at least you still
got one :) ) at best.

Hope they will make the 350Z TT and rumor the new GTR. We might
get lucky. Now that I tasted a fast AWD, I might not go back to rwd.
Still nice to see so many fast cars on the road. Make driving more
interesting. So far the rex is making me a very happy dude.

btw I got cousins living in Perth. I have never visited them :(
They came to the States a few times though.

·
Warning: MotorMatrix owes ClubWRX.net Advertiseme
97 Posts
i own a wrx but find myself defending rsx owners somehow. I just cant beleive that people would say the car is crap. I mean yes it is slower,yes it is fwd. But hey they get 4yr 50k mile warranty,better sound system,leather,sunroof,6sp. Im not saying these are all things that everyone wants but they are upgrades that some people want. Bang for the buck no doubt the wrx rules. But in the end for drag racers it will be the rsx running 9's and 10's while we are still in the high 11's breaking tranny's. Stock the rsx is not very impressive but put intake,exhaust,header,pulleys and a 50 shot of nos and you are low 13's. youll also roast a high 12 sec wrx easily in a roll on or highway race. My friends rsx is so fast on 60 mph roll its not even funny. when you say>>

"Anyone who's WRX is being beaten by an RSX even on a roll, you seriously need to learn shifting gears a bit better because the WRX should be a hell of a lot faster car and even more so with only slight mods. "

I know drag racing is done from a dead stop but sometimes you get caught on open road at 40-60mph and cant stop. so you race a roll on. How do you explain getting pulled in a 3rd gear roll on?? theres no shifting there?? My friends at the time had intake and cat back and i was stock. In a 3rd gear roll on he would beat me by 1-2 cars. also lets not forget the drive train loss on awd and the weight of our cars. i have see nan rsx dyno 179hp at the wheels stock. thats more than our cars put out. so why would a rollon at higher speeds make it not possible for an rsx to beat us??

·
Registered
339 Posts
Please, the only thing a RSX and WRX have in common is that they're in the same price bracket. Anyone who's tearing themselves apart trying to decide betwen a RSX and WRX should just go out and buy a SUV because you obviously have no idea what you want in a vehicle and are just looking for a status symbol.
It was an absolute no brainer for me. I've wanted a Subaru for years. I've never been interested in Hondas torqueless engines and you've NEVER seen a Honda compete in the WRC. Not one Honda has left the factory with a turbo attached to it an I don't give a crap what the 1/4 mi is for any car. IMO you should be buying a WRX because of its rally heritage, not because it happens to be quick in 1/4 mi. If that's all you do you're enjoying about 1/10th of what the WRX has to offer. And the WRX has way more to offer than a RSX. The RSX is just a smaller version of an Acura CS. A sporty coupe. The WRX is in a whole different league.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know drag racing is done from a dead stop but sometimes you get caught on open road at 40-60mph and cant stop. so you race a roll on. How do you explain getting pulled in a 3rd gear roll on?? theres no shifting there?? My friends at the time had intake and cat back and i was stock. In a 3rd gear roll on he would beat me by 1-2 cars. also lets not forget the drive train loss on awd and the weight of our cars. i have see nan rsx dyno 179hp at the wheels stock. thats more than our cars put out. so why would a rollon at higher speeds make it not possible for an rsx to beat us??
Sorry firstly - as what I am about to write is not intended to argue with you guys at all I think its nice to understand why things are the way they are, heehee?? :)

Anyway, reasons why the RSX might beat WRX on a 3rd gear roll -may be because RSX has 6 shorter ratio gears? so chances are at that particular rolling speed (say, arrrr... 60-65mph) that the RXS is at or close to Vtec zone around 5.5-6k rpm, whereas the WRX in the same gear is actually sitting below its max boost range at about 3.5-4k rpm. Now I am not sure if my figures are accurate and I don't claim to be because I don't have them here now, but if say that is the case, then to confirm that I'm right is very easy - because as soon as both cars step on it at this particular rolling speed, the RSX would instantly pull on the WRX. If the roll on fight starts in 3rd at 70-75mph, however, the situation should be reversed where the WRX would pull in front. So it might depend on the gearing somehow.

As to the stock RSX getting more power to the wheels on the dyno, you have to understand that this Power is actually maximum power, measured at 7900rpm for the RSX, but this saids nothing about the acceleration of the car as that depends on the Total Area under the Curve (Power x Time) more than just max power. Because the WRX is a turbo car, it should have more mid-range power compared to a non-turbo's mid-range, which increases the total power under curve and therefore overall acceleration.

Since gearing matters so much with in gear acceleration drags, the next time an RSX takes on a WRX, pls make sure that the WRX driver won't be disadvantaged again in too high a gear where boost will need to build up first. Choose the right gear that will instantly give you the power to pull on the Honda.;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts