Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, since HKS makes a turbo for the RS 2.5 model of the Impreza, and that seems to be a little cheaper, (car wise) would you think i would be better of goin with a WRX, where all of it is already in the car, turbo, ic, etc.... or would it be worth saving a little money, going with the 2.5 and upgrading to a turbo, the turbo would prolly be bigger than the stock wrx turbo too, but the i'd hafta buy an IC and that stuff... would the stock 2.5 be upgradable as much as the wrx engine.... just curious here, throwin around idea's seein as how im a 21 year old college student with limited funds.... so just curious as to what you people think about this, if its even worth it, but im noticing, i dont like the front end on the like 2000 impreza's hehe, could be the determining factor.. anyways.. rambling.... let me know.. thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, do you like driving your car or sitting in the driveway working on it all day long like a dumbass? If the later interests you, by all means, get the 2.5 RS and blow the hell out of it.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Send a PM to RS_NW on here...he's got a nice RS-T with a Link ECU that hauls arse! It's a lot of work though, both in installing and tuning...just be prepared for it. It's very possible that the amount you'll pay for a WRX will easily outweigh the amount of money, time, and effort needed in turbocharging an RS.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, you guys are quick, i didnt expect that fast of a response haha, i was gonna retract the post, since i just did a search on the forum (i know, i shoulda done it before posting, sorry) but i got a lot of useful info.. and i think the RS-T is outta the question hehe, yeah it does seem like a lot of work and money, so looks like the WRX beats out another car on my list haha.... thanks for the quick posts though guys..... good to know that i can ask a question and people actually read them here, and can help, unlike other places...

thanks again guys.... next time ill search :p haha

·
1,379 Posts
koyokid said:
Well, do you like driving your car or sitting in the driveway working on it all day long like a dumbass? If the later interests you, by all means, get the 2.5 RS and blow the hell out of it.
Woah, grumpy grumpy! Maybe this'll help:

Just lick the screen 'till ya feel better, Koyo. :D

I've gotta agree, though, turboing a 2.5 isn't going to be a plug-and-play project. Given that there's a $4k difference between the 2.5 and the WRX, and that the HKS turbo kit costs around $5k at best, I'd say it's gonna be in your interests to just get a WRX. That way you get to keep your warranty, too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just trying to help.

I've been there, sitting in my driveway all day long like a dumbass and I won't do it again. Just get it ready to go out of the box. The extra money is well worth the lack of headaches.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Don't forget a couple other not-so-obvious points as well....

1) Since WRX comes w/ turbo, getting it smogged w/ a turbo on it isn't a problem, vs. the 2.5RS, the smog stations will fail you if you have a visual inspection in your state because the 2.5RS doesn't come w/ one from the factory.

2) WRX engine was built for turbo, so compression ratio is 8.0/1 rather than the 2.5RS's higher C.R. which is probably close to 10.5/1 (just guessing). This means that the WRX can handle MORE boost than the RS without changing internals.

3) The turbo kit might get an RS "close" to a stock WRX, but a WRX can be made significantly faster with less than $1000, meanwhile the RS is already on the bleeding edge of blowing up just trying to match a stock WRX.

4) Sport Compact Car tried to do this conversion as close as they could and admitted that it still wasn't as good as a true WRX. Reasons being that the WRX had better suspension, Quicker Stearing rack, better brakes, and some other stuff that makes a WRX superior. However, I don't know how much of these differences hold true between the US spec versions of these cars vs. the US RS and euro WRX that they compared.

Get the WRX, out of the box w/ turbo and a warranty on that turbo as well, plus you won't have problems smogging it. You'll be happy down the road.

-Jason

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
perfect, thanks a lot for the info.... like you said, screw the conversion, im just gonna go with the WRX... as soon as i can find a decent 2002 in midnight black around here... might be kinda hard..... but i got till spring, gotta save a little more for down payment, but thanks alot for the quick responses.... WRX it is.... aha, i dont mind working on my car, as long as its not during the cold chicago winters.. but in the summer, i could work all day on my car, if i had nothing better to do :p

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just FYI but the GC8's with turbo kits and minor upgrades running mid boost have been known to pull mid 12's all the doo day long (until second gear strips clean of course). Thats not pushing the boost hard either. I have a friend with an still NA 2.5 goign turbo VERY soon that keeps up with WRX's, so I donno.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts