Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my manual 06 wrx back in June with 135k miles on the body & 50 something on the engine. The previous owner had a list of things done to it including a clutch & this past month my car started to spike in rpm if I get on the gas. At first it wasn’t bad but now it can be any gear any rpm & if I floor it it’ll slip. My dad is a mechanic & has been for 20 something years he told me it isn’t the clutch after I asked him but everywhere I look says it is. I’ve put 10,000 miles on the car so the clutch shouldn’t be bad this soon right? Is there anything else besides the clutch that could cause this?? Only mods are a stage 1 tune from Cobb on 93 octane, cold air intake, Sti intercooler, air oil separator & a turboback exhaust. Any help would be appreciated I’m fairly new to the whole car guy thing.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
You’re new but your father is a mechanic. If he thinks it’s not the clutch then what does he think it is?

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
You can smoke a clutch in 20 miles if you don't know what you are doing.

If its not the physical clutch itself, and signs point to it being the clutch, its something preventing the clutch from fully engaging. That alone will kill the clutch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This really sounds like the clutch especially since it's getting worse. Best figure it out quick so you don't mess up your flywheel if it is the clutch.

I had a very similar situation with my 2011 wrx. Why doesn't he think it's the clutch? He must have thoughts on what else it could be?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay so he just drove the car & what he said was that it’s definitely slipping but the car won’t let you go from a stop in any gear but first so what he thinks is that the previous owner either put in a bad clutch or the wrong one just to get the car sold. It only slips when you start driving it hard & he said that maybe the car makes too much power for that clutch, could this be what it is?? I’ve seen the accessport read 18.5 psi of boost & I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to make that much. Anything helps just trying to get this figured out before they move to Florida & I don’t have a personal mechanic anymore

·
19,727 Posts
Let us know what your dad finds when her replaces the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
okay so he just drove the car & what he said was that it’s definitely slipping but the car won’t let you go from a stop in any gear but first so what he thinks is that the previous owner either put in a bad clutch or the wrong one just to get the car sold. It only slips when you start driving it hard & he said that maybe the car makes too much power for that clutch, could this be what it is?? I’ve seen the accessport read 18.5 psi of boost & I’m pretty sure it’s not supposed to make that much. Anything helps just trying to get this figured out before they move to Florida & I don’t have a personal mechanic anymore
What you described is precisely a smoked clutch. The factory clutch will hold more torque than your car is putting down with any staged cobb tune.

You or your dad likely smoked it. It happens to the best of us. The previous owner could have as well. Hard telling who

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you described is precisely a smoked clutch. The factory clutch will hold more torque than your car is putting down with any staged cobb tune.

You or your dad likely smoked it. It happens to the best of us. The previous owner could have as well. Hard telling who
The clutch that was put in was aftermarket that’s why we think it’s not right & can’t hold the torque but you could be right, I don’t understand how I could burn through a clutch in less than 10k miles but thanks for the help I’ll definitely be replacing it anyway in the near future, are there any recommendations as to which I should get?

·
19,727 Posts
Stock.

Reactions: XJman

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
What do the receipts say the brand of the clutch is and can you call the shop that did the work?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts