Subaru WRX Forum banner

RPM for starting out

3K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  XJman 
#1 ·
I just got a 2017 WRX and I'm wondering at what RPM I should be starting off from on flat ground. It seems if I do 1500RPM, I feel like the car is going to stall. What do you recommend?

#4 ·
It takes a lot of getting used to. I had a 2012 WRX, and it is still taking me awhile to get the feel for the 2017.

I think I'm getting it down though...

Just my impression, mashing the gas pedal isn't the way to go. You have to ease into it, let the turbo kick in, then give it the gas...

#14 ·
Depress throttle engage clutch, add or take away throttle as needed to make for a smooth roll out.

Or, do what my mom does when she drives my cars. Wind it out until you hear it bouncing on the rev limiter and just ease out on the clutch until you see it smoking. Then hold it there for a second then take your foot off both pedals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Definately overthinking it. Just move the pedals to the degree necessary to pull out smooth. If you feel like you're going to stall starting out at 1500 rpms, you're either letting the clutch out too fast or removing pressure from the throttle as you let the clutch out. It's a matter of feel not a measurement of engine speed.

#16 ·
Get a feel for the friction point. That'll let you know when you are about to gain forward momentum. Feel the point and add a bit more gas and let out the clutch. It will become easier with a bit more practice or..... redline it and dump the clutch. Hold on for dear life and then circle back and pickup the pieces that break (just kidding folks).

#19 ·
I do about 1000-1300 on flat ground. It's gonna be different for everyone. Stay out of boost for the first 1000 miles and stay under 4000rpm. Then do an oil change, it sucks because you'll want to gun it on the highway or coming out of any corner. Treat it right and it'll treat you good...

+1 for the mom driving your WRX, my mom taught me stick in her 95 ITR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.