Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
768 Posts
It takes a lot of getting used to. I had a 2012 WRX, and it is still taking me awhile to get the feel for the 2017.

I think I'm getting it down though...

Just my impression, mashing the gas pedal isn't the way to go. You have to ease into it, let the turbo kick in, then give it the gas...

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
Depress throttle engage clutch, add or take away throttle as needed to make for a smooth roll out.

Or, do what my mom does when she drives my cars. Wind it out until you hear it bouncing on the rev limiter and just ease out on the clutch until you see it smoking. Then hold it there for a second then take your foot off both pedals

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
154 Posts
Definately overthinking it. Just move the pedals to the degree necessary to pull out smooth. If you feel like you're going to stall starting out at 1500 rpms, you're either letting the clutch out too fast or removing pressure from the throttle as you let the clutch out. It's a matter of feel not a measurement of engine speed.

· Registered
133 Posts
Get a feel for the friction point. That'll let you know when you are about to gain forward momentum. Feel the point and add a bit more gas and let out the clutch. It will become easier with a bit more practice or..... redline it and dump the clutch. Hold on for dear life and then circle back and pickup the pieces that break (just kidding folks).

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
Or, do what my mom does when she drives my cars. Wind it out until you hear it bouncing on the rev limiter and just ease out on the clutch until you see it smoking. Then hold it there for a second then take your foot off both pedals

LOL! You let your mom drive your WRX?

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,756 Posts
I was half in the bag one night and called her and my step dad to take me home. Did the same thing in my BMW too.

· Registered
2015 ISM WRX Premium SPT package
263 Posts
I do about 1000-1300 on flat ground. It's gonna be different for everyone. Stay out of boost for the first 1000 miles and stay under 4000rpm. Then do an oil change, it sucks because you'll want to gun it on the highway or coming out of any corner. Treat it right and it'll treat you good...

+1 for the mom driving your WRX, my mom taught me stick in her 95 ITR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
212 Posts
Depress throttle engage clutch, add or take away throttle as needed to make for a smooth roll out.

I laughed when I read that. When I first got my car it was the exact opposite for my mom. I was the one stalling it and burning the clutch till I saw smoke come out of the hood scoop. She just drove it with such ease.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.