ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you had a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX, cool air intake, and greddy boost exhaust. which would you choose? and please explain. If someone posts "RP" and thats it it doesnt help me. If no one answering in 20min, im buying Royal Purple.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
if you had a 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX, cool air intake, and greddy boost exhaust. which would you choose? and please explain. If someone posts "RP" and thats it it doesnt help me. If no one answering in 20min, im buying Royal Purple.
Both are fine - I've gone back and forth.

From a cost standpoint - the 5qt jugs of Mobil1 at wal-mart are usually the best deal. It's been years since I worked on my cars, now I just swipe my Visa. My current shop uses Royal Purple - so that's what I'm using.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Both are fine - I've gone back and forth.

From a cost standpoint - the 5qt jugs of Mobil1 at wal-mart are usually the best deal. It's been years since I worked on my cars, now I just swipe my Visa. My current shop uses Royal Purple - so that's what I'm using.
+1 I am of the opinion that as long as you're using a decent oil (and both of those are good oils), and changing it regularly, it doesn't matter.

I use Mobil1 because I can get it more easily and at a better price. I personally have never tried Royal Purple, but I'm sure it would be fine as well.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
+1 I am of the opinion that as long as you're using a decent oil (and both of those are good oils), and changing it regularly, it doesn't matter.

I use Mobil1 because I can get it more easily and at a better price. I personally have never tried Royal Purple, but I'm sure it would be fine as well.
I agree with this statement. As long as you keep the intervals proper, check it on a regular basis, replace with a good (read OEM filter if you are still under warranty) with a new crush washer/drain plug you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
are you saying you should change the drain plug?
Yeah...why not. It's a 1 dollar bolt along with the crush washer. No worries of stripping it taking it off or anything like that. A bit overkill....probaly.....is a dollar going to hurt my wallet...nope.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yeah...why not. It's a 1 dollar bolt along with the crush washer. No worries of stripping it taking it off or anything like that. A bit overkill....probaly.....is a dollar going to hurt my wallet...nope.
i wasnt talking about it costing something...i have never heard of that and was seriously wondering if it is something that should be done?

·
Premium Member
11,095 Posts
i wasnt talking about it costing something...i have never heard of that and was seriously wondering if it is something that should be done?
I do it. And I've read of plenty of others doing it as well. Probaly a bit anal more then anything but the fresh plug with fresh threads cant be a horrible thing.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
thats what it is called...okay ill change mine out next oil change...thanks learned something today.
I think we may be talking about different things. 302 is talking about getting the $1 drain plug replacement from the auto store when you pick up your oil and filter and replacing it every time.

I am talking about this: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/

·
Registered
0 Posts
i use both... i switch all the time

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes!

so i decided to go Mobil1 syn oil now. this is my plan:

- flush the engine with some shieet i bought from autozone for like $2.99. so it'll get all the non-synthetic particles out.
- put in M1 syn oil.
- put in new bolt
- AND the next oil change, get Royal Purple syn.

thank you for all the help.

·
Banned
3,595 Posts
While i do see your point with the "a dollar won't break you every oil change" argument, the oil pan is actually made of weaker material than the drain plug.

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
While i do see your point with the "a dollar won't break you every oil change" argument, the oil pan is actually made of weaker material than the drain plug.
Yup. I'm still using the same plug and crush washer since new. Works like a champ.

Also I've used both oils and IMO Royal Purple is not worth the money.

Mobil1 from HickMart FTW!

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
My buddy has used Mobil 1 synthetic & switched to Royal Purple in his Jeep Cherokee recently. He said he immediately noticed a HUGE difference in performance & mileage. I know i'm switching to Royal Purple at my next oil change. Who knows when that'll be though. I never drive the WRX anymore. New brakes are on the way!!!!

·
Banned
3,595 Posts
Interesting. I've ran RP in all my cars and have considered switching to M1. We'll see what i think next oil change.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts