ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this has happened twice now, the first time it annoyed me but now it's bothering me. The first time it was after a hardcore carwash (no engine wash) and this second time after about a half hour of driving in serious rain.

All of a sudden, my engine will start sounding REALLY rough, just unnatural, and I'll have next to no power. My boost readings still go into positive, but not high as they normally do. I didn't push the car when this happened. Both times, once I turned off the car and waited for a little it returned to normal, but this is annoying and could be bad if it were to happen on the highway or more consistently.

Mods: Fully catless, BOV, axelback.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
did you do the silencer delete?

its very possible youre ucking wsater ino the intake..

·
Registered
96 Posts
sounds like the same problem i had with my old car...'96 mercedes s320...id just be driving and all of a sudden the engine would start shaking and id have almost no power...everytime it happened i had to pull over to the side of the road and restart the engine and itd be fine...i had to take it to mercedes like 6 times and they kept changing spark plugs...after the 6th time or whatever it just stopped doing it

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have had this problem on my Mustang. i know...totally different car, but same circumstances (only in the rain, loss of power, etc.). I found the problem in the O2 sensor wiring. Because I put longtube headers on, the O2 sensors were down by the ground and whenever puddles or rain splashed on them, my A/F guage went crazy and car started sputtering with CEL. Our O2 sensor is down by the pass. lower front. Check and make sure the wiring isn't exposed. May not be your problem, but it's an easy check.

Good luk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really an easy check, im kinda big, but I'll look at it. No, I don't have the intake silencer removed, and I don't know if I'm throwing any additional codes bc I haven't had it pulled in a couple weeks. I did lose a bolt that holds down my intake box though. Wouldn't getting water in the intake cause a much worse problem that a rough engine for one cycle?

It seems like my car is putting itself in limp mode for some reason.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If water were to be getting in your intake, yes you would have the symptoms you describe. See, in the MAF meter, there are two wires which are heated. The precise measurement of the loss of heat on the wires tells the computer the amount of airflow. If condensation were to get on those tiny wires, the computer would give the other components of the engine faulty voltages. Based on readings from the MAF sensor (and other sensors as well), the computer controls things like injector pulse width and a/f ratio. If the voltages to these were thrown off, there would be great loss of power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts