ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to change my spark plugs the other day and after everything was installed back together i had a rough idle?? So i took the new plugs out to make sure it wasn't those and re-installed the original plugs, still rough idle. I'm POSITIVE everything is installed correctly and all plugs/coil packs are on tight. I've heard some people say this could be a vacuum leak?

I mostly feel the idle down in the pedals. but i can also hear it slightly. anybody have any ideas on what this could be?

Another note. the idle gets worse when i use my power windows. as if the extra strain on the alternator is bringing it down, however it's much worse than it ever used to be.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How are you positive everything is installed correctly.

What did you remove / reinstall other than the plugs, the coil packs, and wiring?

Year/model/mileage/maint history?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Did you use dielectric grease?

Did you make sure that the battery leads are connected tightly/securely?

Have you checked that you plugged your MAF back in?

Did you make sure to put that grounding plate back on cylinder 4?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i guess i didn't provide much info,

2004 wrx, 97,000 miles on it. Maintenance is all up to date and done on time if not a bit early for safety.

Back to the issue. I did plug my MAF back in, i even cleaned it with MAF cleaner. All battery leads are secured tightly. I didn't use Di-electric grease, and i don't know what your talking about with the grounding plate on cylinder 4? i didn't see anything come off with my coil pack?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
absolutely need to use dielectric grease. That can cause not enough electricity to pass through the coil into the plug, and possibly cause hesitation. There is a plate that comes off of the 02 sensor on my car that grounds into the number 4 plug. Don't know if this is only on the 06+ or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sinister, dielectric grease is non-conductive. It will NOT pass electricity from coil to spark plug. It will keep oxidation from happeneing and moisture from interfereing between connections and I used it on my plug connections for this reason.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did you check the spark plug gaps sir? even though the gap is usually correct from the manufacturer, its always good to check.
^ What he said. I bought some NGK GP Platinum plugs at autozone and were .044 in the box... Glad I checked and corrected them down to .031

1 - 10 of 10 Posts