ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been planning on going with a rotated gt35r turbo to achieve my goal of 500whp. I was doing this so I did not have to have methanol injection. I was told by someone that putting a GT35 r would be stressful on the engine trying to spool such a big turbo? He also told me that putting a blow off valve with out a blow through MAF is dangerous? Im sorry these questions sound a little stupid but Im still young and trying to learn.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
There is the whole debate on blow off valves and bypass valves on MAF based cars...I personally think they drive better with bypass valves due to the lack of most blow off valves designs.

The biggest concern is that you're trying to achieve 500 AWHP trying to stay MAF based. You WILL need to switch to an speed density setup because you will just max out your MAF sensor and it can only scale so much. Most people do the big MAF housing (like myself) but that only works for so much air passing through.

Also...are you building your motor too? No way your motor will survive 500 AWHP without touching it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I am bulding the motor with forged pistons and rods, as well as doing the heads with stage 2 cams. I seen that some of the rotated turbo kits come with a different MAF, will this solve the problem?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Why so put off by methanol?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
janderson13 said:
This whole MAF is confusing to me.
The MAF is the same.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is quoted saying " •MAF Relocation Kit to move Mass Air Flow sensor after the turbocharger outlet for improved idle and low load driveability "

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
In other words it switches you to a blow through setup.

I've seen quite a few people hit 500whp on OEM ECUs without going speed density. Blow through may be a little better, but it's not that different from the OEM draw through setup. You're still metering air with the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
In other words it switches you to a blow through setup.

I've seen quite a few people hit 500whp on OEM ECUs without going speed density. Blow through may be a little better, but it's not that different from the OEM draw through setup. You're still metering air with the MAF sensor.
Interesting cause i havent seen any stay at that power level but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the turbo kit will take care of the MAF sensing? How much is it to go speed density? And could a tune shop do it? Im assuming they can.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
is it just me or do we not even now what car this is on?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
janderson13 said:
So the turbo kit will take care of the MAF sensing? How much is it to go speed density? And could a tune shop do it? Im assuming they can.
There is no OpenECU SD ROM for 32-bit ECUs. There has been talk of a SD project with Cobb, but I'm not sure where they're at with it. Ecutek RaceRom can do SD, UTEC can do SD, standalone ECUs can do it. UTECs are pretty cheap used (often $300 or less). I'm not sure how many shops have a RaceRom license; The Shop CT does. Standalones are $1000+.

OpenECU/UTEC used in conjunction is quite capable, if you have someone able to tune it.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I was told by someone that putting a GT35 r would be stressful on the engine trying to spool such a big turbo?
Just to pitch in on this thought, I'd say it's stressful due to the 500whp you are aiming for. Having a larger turbo isn't harder on the engine - it's easier and less 'restrictive' if anything. I think we all get stuck on the fact that since small turbos spool quicker, they are 'easier' on the engine. With a smaller turbo, the engine actually has to work harder to get the exhaust through a smaller/more restrictive turbine. A larger one has a less restrictive turbine. Downside being, of course, after spool you are going to be pushing your engine a good bit harder than you would with a 16g (500whp vs. 300whp is a big difference)

I'd ask around for some good tuners in your area. Talk to them about this plan. They will give you their opinions and preferences - follow them. Good luck =)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Its a 2004 wrx sti, forged pistons and rods, perrin front mount, getting the head built with stage 2 cams and heavy duty springs and retainers.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
The MAF being relocated doesn't make that big of a difference. Depending on your cams (all you said was stage 2, which really means nothing) I would suggest going with a divided 1.06AR and running twinscroll.

What fuel are you planning on running? Turbos that size don't really do well on straight pump gas. e85 is great, but you will have trouble adjusting the injector pulse width low enough to get a smooth idle if you stick with the OEM ECU. If you go with a meth kit you won't need such large injectors. Or you could just get a c16 tune, but that stuff is expensive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
People confuse me so much lol, Ive heard of 500whp on a daily driver on pump gas with out meth, but then some people sit and tell me its impossible unless I run race gas and meth injection. Then some people tell me its hard on the engine and others say it will be just fine.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
janderson13 said:
People confuse me so much lol, Ive heard of 500whp on a daily driver on pump gas with out meth, but then some people sit and tell me its impossible unless I run race gas and meth injection. Then some people tell me its hard on the engine and others say it will be just fine.
500whp on one dyno may be 450 on another.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts