Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this on a BMW M3 board. I am not trying to start a flame but you may want to check this out:

http://home.att.net/~blairphoto/scca.html

Here is what was also posted on the board:

Here's a quote from someone present at the event:

Today we had a Subaru with Rota (brand) Attack (model) wheels shear the rim
away from the hub. All five spokes showed oxidation at least 1/2 to 2/3 of
the way through from the inside. I checked the other wheels and found a
fine crack on the inside of two spokes on one other wheel with my
thumbnail. There is ALMOST NO VISIBLE crack. The crack is masked by the
powder coating. One other Rota wheel has a raised line on the rear of the
spoke that is discernable by thumbnail only. I'd advise anyone using these
wheels to check them for cracks on the inside of the spoke about 1.5 to 2
inches out from the hub.

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I heard about this on i-club or impreza.net (nasioc). They were saying Rota had a bad run of these wheels awhile ago. If you have this model of Rota wheels I would suggest you contact Rota and try to figure out if they have any more information about this. I also know that even the best wheel manufacturers have wheels break on them and when stressing them like during an auto-x anything can happen. I know Gary Sheehan who won first place in the US Touring car championship in 2002 switched to Rota's. He used to use Advan wheels but said they would bend and brake to often and were way to expensive. He said Rota Sub Zero's were stronger, and cheaper. I run on Rota SDR's now and feel they are still some of the best wheels you can buy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not trying to knock Rota wheels. From what I have researched they are the lightest wheels you can get for the money and come in some great styles.

However, if checking the wheels in the specific areas noted in the text and the photos can keep some one from bashing up their car or possibly killing themselves I think it is a good thing for people to be informed. Contacting the distributor is a great idea as well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I read something about this a while ago and it really scared me. I have 18" subzeros and I check them every week for cracks. They are holding up amazingly well. I have hit HUGE potholes and I thought I was going to end up with a bent rim, but nothing.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, it is allways good to inform people,thanks for doing so, and people should check on this just incase. I just wanted to point out that this is not a common thing for Rota wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts