ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up with Rota SDR rims? They look just like the Prodrive GC-07's to me...are they cast instead of forged (like the Prodrives)? And then SSR makes a rim that looks just like them too... I think it's called the GT-7...and they say they're "semi-solid forged" or something like that. What's the deal with the strengths and weights of these three wheels? And why do Prodrives and SSRs cost so much more than the Rotas? One more question...do 18's look whack on a WRX without lowering it at all, or is that a must.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You need to do more research on wheel technologies. You can start at www.tirerack.com. Basically, Rota's are cast, which makes them not as strong. SSR's are semi-forged, which is a little stronger. Prodrives are forged, which makes them the strongest of the three. The forging process is the most expensive with the casting process being the cheapest and the semi-forged process in between. Rota SDR's are replica's of the GC-07's. The GC-07's weigh less then the SDR's though IIRC. When it comes down to it, most people get Rota's because they're cheaper and they've been proven to be plenty strong enough for street and track useage. Some want Volk's, Prodrive's, or SSR's. . .it's all personal choice.

As for 18's. . .I don't like the way they look on a WRX. And yes, it will look awful without lowering the car.

Calvin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I'm looking into the wheel manufacturing tech. now...what about 17's with no drop? Also crappy?...I just don't want to give up the under-car clearance for when I'm in the snow or whatever....also how do people like the P Zero Nero M+S? The really work in the snow or not?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Once you go to a 17" or 18" rim, it will exaggerate the wheel gap. To be honest, I'm lowered 2" in front and 1.75" in the rear and I don't have any problems in the winter. You just have to not drive through snow that is too deep.

Calvin

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
By all means, get a drop before you get wheels...bigger wheels with no drop makes your car look like a 4x4 :)

cnk's right about the difference in wheel making technologies...just from personal experience, I've read about more problems with semi-forged SSRs bending on potholes and ordinary driving than I have Rotas or any fully-forged wheels. Thus, I'm personally not convinced on the weight-savings of the semi-forged process.

I've heard good things about the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S...I bought some for myself, but then decided not to drive my car in the snow. My friend that bought them off me absolutely loved them and he thought they were the best all-season tire he's ever used in the snow.

·
"sitting in the corner in Rick Roll timeout"
4,124 Posts
Prodrive also makes a semi-solid forged version of the GC-07 called the PFF-7. They're about $250 cheaper.

Prodrive's PFF-7 series of wheels is manufactured using a semi-solid forging technique. This special process makes the PFF-7 (which stands for Prodrive Flow Forming - 7 spoke) wheel lighter than the P1 and P7 wheel but still rugged enough to perform through the most demanding road conditions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Verdugo said:

cnk's right about the difference in wheel making technologies...just from personal experience, I've read about more problems with semi-forged SSRs bending on potholes and ordinary driving than I have Rotas or any fully-forged wheels. Thus, I'm personally not convinced on the weight-savings of the semi-forged process.
I've got SSR Comps in 17x7.5" and never had a problem. . then again. . I don't drive like a maniac and I avoid all potholes. ;)

Calvin

·
Moderating YOU, before you had your Subaru!
13,353 Posts
cnk said:
I've got SSR Comps in 17x7.5" and never had a problem. . then again. . I don't drive like a maniac and I avoid all potholes. ;)

Calvin
Indeed...sometimes I do wonder if people are aiming for potholes just to test a wheel's strength...haha...I sure as hell don't!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info...looks like I'm gonna be looking for some of those Prodrive springs before I decide on a wheelset anyway haha....

·
Registered
583 Posts
I used to have 18" Superleggeras on my car, but I sold them and went back to 17's. I do have before/after pics of the 18's with and without a drop. Yes, it looks bad with no drop. :tongue:

Whack:

Eibach+KYB, an hour after install:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts