Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking about getting rota grids for my 2017 wrx...I have tein flex a coilovers that I'm going to be putting on and the wheels I'm looking at are 18x9.5 with a +38 offset. I'm just wondering if this is correct and will fit and what size tires I should run I think the recommended is 235/40r18 but should I go 225?

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
I know of a couple people that have cracked Rotas on more than one occasion. However, this was several years ago and I don't know the quality control situation now. That being said 245/40/18 (et55) is the proper size for your WRX on stock 8.5" wheels. On 9.5" you're looking at 265/35/18. At that point, you may have rubbing depending on your coil-over settings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
OP, look at my wrx build thread in my signature, I had 18x9.5 rota grids on my wrx. I ran 255/35/18's and they fit very well. However, depending on how low you are with your current suspension set up, you may need to get the fenders rolled to prevent rubbing. My wrx was pretty low, I had all four fenders rolled and slightly pulled to prevent rubbing.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Also to touch on the older Rota's breaking and being poor quality. I cannot speak as to if Rota fixed these issues or not, but I never had a single problem with mine. And the guy that bought them off of me is still running them with no issues.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
You either need to go with a 255 or 265 tire. My 265 tires look phenomenal on my 9.5" wheel, but I do rub a little on RCE yellow springs. I'm getting my fenders rolled soon. I recommend staying with the 255.

I will tell you that going with a 9.5" wheel will change the way the car feels. The car will not be as responsive or nimble. I didn't notice it as much going from my stock wheels and tires to my aftermarket wheels and tires, but when I put my stock setup back on today the car felt much more nimble, responsive, and light.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just echoing what has been said, a 255 or 265/35/18 is the way you want to go. If you're going to lower it more than an inch, I'd stick with the 255/35 setup personally. But either way, you will most likely have to role the fenders a little.

·
I Drink & I Know Things
1,906 Posts
I'd recommend going with the stock size...18x8.5". Not only are the wheels lighter than 18x9.5" wheels, but you won't have to worry about any adverse effects (listen to Zach). Plus you can use the stock tires while properly fitting and no fender rolling. Take your time...save some money...get some good wheels. Don't cheap out and make your car worse. To reiterate, no, 245/35 is not the correct size tire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So with 18x8.5 could I go with a +30 offset...I found some I like but that's the highest offset they come in

1 - 12 of 12 Posts