Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I've had my WRX for three weeks now and I'm in love. I completed the thousand mile break-in in 2 days! My question is on bike racks. Anyone know if a roof top bike rack will fit on my Rex? I know Yakima doesn't make one to fit. I read somewhere that you had to mount bikes backwards on car. If this is the case, I'll live with a hitch mount.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bike Rack

I have a WRX wagon and installed the Yakima lowrider towers with 48 inch round bars. I threw a couple of Viper tray mounts outside the towers. Pretty steep cost, but the viper can't slide off the rails when locked and installed properly, will handle free ride forks, one hand operation putting the bike up and taking it off AND my bikes face foward, allowing clearance for the spoiler when raising the hatch.
I sprung for the 10 pack of locks too, so I can stick skis in the middle and lock it all up with one key. This works well if you have a wagon...
It also looks decent with the small fairing and a couple of wheel mounts...Sorry for the spam if you have a sedan

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
cnoff ,

be careful. completing a break in so quickly lessens the value of the miles. the cold starts and heat cylces all play a role, and those require not just miles, but a number of drives over time.

dR

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info on the break-in. I guess I should continue to take it easy on the engine for a while. The dealership really didn't tell me anything about the break-in other than keeping it under 4000 rpms and varying the speed. As far as the bike rack, I have a sedan. Thule apparantly make a roof rack for the sedan. Anyone know if this is true?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
There is someone on the board with a Thule rack, I think. I believe they live in GA, but I can't remember for sure. Have you tried a search for roof rack, or bike rack, etc? (ok, there I said it);)

I'm positive someone has one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've got a thule rack on my wrx sedan. Fits fine, just don't go by the numbers listed in the install manual.

jb

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the yakima bike rack on a sedan. i think the brackets are the q45's... i can't remember, you'd have to check their website for the exacts. it fits perfect and the fork mount bike rack mounts fine. no need to put the bikes on backwards.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the Yakima site and they say no fit for roof rack. jjlee, if you have any way of finding out what fit kit you used, it would be a big help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
last year it was up... i just checked their website also and i guess they changed it. i'm at work right now and i'll look it up when i get tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, but the you need q78 clips for the wrx sedan and 48" load bars.

hope this helps.

·
1,377 Posts
jjlee said:
sorry i didn't get back to you sooner, but the you need q78 clips for the wrx sedan and 48" load bars.

hope this helps.
That's for the Thule rack? Do you have any pics of it? I'm interested in seeing if it sits really high off the roofline. I want one that sits as close to the roof as possible, but it seems like all the 'generic fit' Thule and Yakima racks I see are 6 inches off the roof. Kind of unattractive. And I'd like to be able to leave it on for at least for half of the year. I don't want an eye sore all summer long. =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just took it off since winter season is over, but next time i go mtn biking, i'll post pics of it. also, this is for the yakima rack and it doesn't sit up tat high as compared to the thule rack that goes in the raingutter on the sedan. Basically, if you fold down the snowboard bindings and put it on upside down on the rack, it barely clears the roof. that's how low it is. hope that helps.

·
1,377 Posts
That does help. Thanks. I couldn't find a reason to get Yakima over Thule, or vice versa. I'll have to check it out. I'd greatly appreciate a pic when you get a chance. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
the only reason i chose yakima over thule is the snowboard rack. it seems like it wasn't from the 80s still. and the yakima racks are black and red... i have a red car so it matched better. shallow isn't it? :)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I preferred the Thule to the Yakima because of the square bar. I didn't like the idea of "chinching" things onto the bar (like bike tire holders) and having them gradually "fall" down 'til they hit my roof. Also, the square bar howls less than the round. Of course, if you get a fairing that's a moot point. My $0.02.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got the dealer installed bike rack on my sedan. They pointed out to me that the rack(top part?) was Yakima, hense the logo. But the rack towers/standoffs? (part between the car and rack?) were a subaru part. They said they had special rubber shoes to protect the car. I will see if theres any manufacturer numbers or logos on the towers/standoffs/whatever u call them..

·
Registered
7 Posts
subaru factory? i thought they didn't support a bike rack on the sedan, only on the wagon. the raingutter thule towers aren't even SUPPOSED to work with the wrx i thought.

i'd like to see if the dealer is just buying yakima towers and clips or if it's really subaru.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oops, I got it backwards, its Yakima that connects to the car and subaru parts that connect to the bike. I took some pictures of the bikerack since i took it off the car for safe keeping. Let me know if these pictures look ok. (This is a first for me so please disregard any bloopers on posting pics.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts