ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not 100% sure this is the right place, if not feel free to move it mods.

So I bought a 2012 WRX in December, and soon after I noticed a scratch here, a scratch there. Honestly, it kind of looks like someone keyed it, but I'm pretty certain that it isn't. The scratches go in a big rectangle, parallel to the car on the roof. I think some of them may be able to be buffed out, others not. It's hard to describe, it almost looks like it's where something was put together, the car got dirty, I washed the car and the scratches decided to stick out.

I have a friend who recently bought a 2012 Legacy, and she noticed the same thing. So we compared and hers are pretty similar to mine, just her scratches are white on her purple car, and mine are black on my white car. I'm kinda hoping that this is something Subaru has noticed or that it's something a few people here have noticed.

I have pictures uploaded to Photobucket, but no idea how to post them on here if someone wouldn't mind helping I'm sure it would give everyone a better idea of what I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Not 100% sure this is the right place, if not feel free to move it mods.

So I bought a 2012 WRX in December, and soon after I noticed a scratch here, a scratch there. Honestly, it kind of looks like someone keyed it, but I'm pretty certain that it isn't. The scratches go in a big rectangle, parallel to the car on the roof. I think some of them may be able to be buffed out, others not. It's hard to describe, it almost looks like it's where something was put together, the car got dirty, I washed the car and the scratches decided to stick out.

I have a friend who recently bought a 2012 Legacy, and she noticed the same thing. So we compared and hers are pretty similar to mine, just her scratches are white on her purple car, and mine are black on my white car. I'm kinda hoping that this is something Subaru has noticed or that it's something a few people here have noticed.

I have pictures uploaded to Photobucket, but no idea how to post them on here if someone wouldn't mind helping I'm sure it would give everyone a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Mouse over the photo in photobucket. When the links box appears below the photo, click on the one the has image tags "

·
Banned
160 Posts
you sure they are scratches and not glue left over from peeling off the plastic. I had some lines on my roof from a little left over adhesive but it wiped right off with some TarX or any goo off type product like WD40

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
you sure they are scratches and not glue left over from peeling off the plastic. I had some lines on my roof from a little left over adhesive but it wiped right off with some TarX or any goo off type product like WD40
WD40 is not a "goo off type product." It's a lubricant and just as with any petroleum-based or -derived product, it can damage your paint if you don't wash it all off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the delayed response. My friend said it kind of looked like the clearcoat didn't get all the way to the edge of the car or something. Gonna try to post some pictures here in a second.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

In this picture you can see where it is vertical (goes all the way across) then it makes a perfect angle and starts going horizontally.

This one is a little more faint. This is the passenger side of the car.

This one goes along the whole front of the car above the windshield. The small dots are bugs I need to wash off.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
+1. Its glue/residue on the borders of the plastic wrap. Trust me; rub on it with your thumb (like you mean it). Either that or someone is perfectly keying your car, with a rectangle stencil and/or slide rule. :rotfl:

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Looks like that came from where they removed that white plastic covering. Have you talked to your dealer about it?

·
Banned
160 Posts
yea that is definitely left over glue from removing the white film they put on cars during shipping. Use any type of goo off product and it will come right off. or use some Iso alcohol to clean it off. something not to strong like 50% or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's exactly what it was. I took my thumb and it came right off lol. Funny how that's how it works when everyone always tells you not to rub the scratches. So happy that that's all it is and not an actual key-ing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts