Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey... I do a lot of snowboarding, and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on a good ski/snowboard rack for the WRX sedan?

Thanks! : )

·
Registered
785 Posts
I love my Yakima rack. If you have Burton bindings on your snowboard, make sure you get extensions because if you put two boards on your rack base to base your Burton bindings are too tall and your rack won't close (unless you want to dent your roof.)

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't have a digital camera, but I'm meeting up with some guys on Friday and maybe I can con one of them into bringing theirs.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Bert said:
I went to Yakima's website ( http://www.yakima.com ) and checked them out... they look like a good product...

Is there any way you could post a picture of your WRX with the rack on?
I thought I'd mention that another popular rack system is Thule (pronounced "two-LEE"). The major difference between the two is that Yakima uses round bars and Thule uses square. Keep in mind that either will whistle as your driving along, although the Yakima will be a little worse due to its shape. I'd recommend a fairing to improve wind noise and gas mileage. Of course, I would necessarily leave one on the car all year long. Nowadays they are fairly simple to take on and off, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here's the Thule site:

http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/default.asp

·
Registered
785 Posts
Plus the fairing makes it look cooler. If you go with a Yakima rack make sure you get the 44" fairing (the one they recommend for the WRX). I tried the shorter one and it looked like crap.

Both Thule and Yakima make good racks. I personally think that Yakimas "Q-towers" (the part that sits on your car) looks better because it appears to sit lower than Thule's, but I'll try to get a pic of mine so you can see it on the car.

·
980 Posts
check out my avatar and you could see the yakima rack i have. Not a big downhill skier, but i like X-country skiing. The rack i bought for the bike. My Yakima rack is kinda a permanent fixture, demonstrating that while the WRX is a total sports car, its also a daily driven useful car.

chris

·
980 Posts
wrxinthehouse said:
Is that the old syle fairing (rectangular) or is it the new style (all curvy)?
Its the old style "wing" fairing. The only "wing" I shall ever have on any of my cars :)

chris

·
Registered
785 Posts
I found a couple people with digital cams that I'm meeting on Friday. (thank you james, steve, and roger) I'll get a couple pics of my car.

·
Registered
785 Posts
As promised:

The first pic was taken squatting down. You don't see a gap between the fairing and car when you're looking at the front of the car unless you're only 3 feet tall. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
wrxinthehouse,

Your Yakima rack's stance seems a bit too high for my taste. Is that the old style or a new one (Q tower)? which one sits the lowest? let me know!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I've got the Q tower setup. It is kind of necessary to have it as tall as it is, especially if you plan on using the snowboard/ski rack to the fullest. You won't have room to store skis/snowboards upsidedown on there if you have a lower rack.

I need to get new bolts to put my fairing on, the thing hums without it at anything over 40mph. Quality on yakima racks is second to none. I've been very impressed with the stability and versatility of mine when I've used it on my maxima.

Jay

ps--anybody know how to unlock some locked bike racks...i'm a dumbass.

·
Registered
785 Posts
WRXreX said:
wrxinthehouse,

Your Yakima rack's stance seems a bit too high for my taste. Is that the old style or a new one (Q tower)? which one sits the lowest? let me know!
My rack is brand new. Both the old style and new style use Q towers, the only difference is the fairing and the button that releases the arm that goes up (to load your snowboards). The rack doesn't look very high in person and I've got mine as low as you're going to be able to get it. In fact, if someone has Burton bindings, their board has to be face up or their bindings hit my roof

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey guys,
I've been looking for a roof rack and ski carrier for my WRX. I've looked at botht he Thule and Yakima racks and they are nice, but there is just one thing, price. I priced both racks and it will cost me around $300 for them, thats way too much. Does anyone know of a cheaper rack??? Thats just a little to rich for my tast. I was hoping for somthing around 150, at the most 200.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you shop around, you may be able to get better pricing. I got my stuff from rackattack.com and they have last year's "button down 6" (holds 4 snowboards) for $59.99. The normal price for the powderhound (the new version) is $110. I think for everything (including fairing) I paid ~$200.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts