Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to take WRX into the middle of Coloardo and Utah, to some of the most beautiful places, but...

While we have planned our trip that will allow us to go from gas station to the next one, all of which have premium fuel, I am planning for the eventuality that one or more of these stations has temporarily run out of premium.

Thinking about stopping at O'Reilly's (once we leave the interstates), and getting a couple of cans of Royal Purple 1157 (Royal Purple 11757 Max-Boost Octane Booster and Stabilizer).

My goal is not to use it even once, but as we are going through the Rocky and similar mountains, thinking using it is better than running 85/87 fuel.

Your thoughts please.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,816 Posts
Why not use that money to send me a gift card instead? The effect on your car will be the same and I'm an awesome guy.

(I debated discussing your car, but ultimately I don't care and neither should you -- the car is designed to deal with lower octane fuel in emergencies, and both areas you mentioned are part of a relatively developed Western country, so you'll be OK. What's not OK is expecting all that much from "octane booster" products. Toluene ought to work now that I think of it, but it's really nasty and I have never worried about carrying it around. If the worst happens and you are stuck with regular fuel, use as little as you can safely to get to a more civilised place, then top up with premium. In the meantime stay off the throttle and out of boost within reason and the car ought to be fine -- all this is in the manual).

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
In a pinch it will give you a few points of aki boost. So if it advertised 10 point increase that would be and additional 1 Aki. So 87 would then be 88.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
561 Posts
I wouldn't bother . . . as mentioned the newer WRXs can run on regular octane as a stop gap measure if need be . . . but more to the point I suspect the chances of a place running out of premium fuel would be pretty slim since most gas stations (even the Ma and Pa operations) tend to keep a close eye on the fuel levels.

I would be more concerned about gas stations not having premium fuel . . . but even here in Maine where I travel I can go off into the willy wags and still usually find a gas station within a hour or two of wherever I am that has premium fuel.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I wouldn't bother . . . as mentioned the newer WRXs can run on regular octane as a stop gap measure if need be . . . but more to the point I suspect the chances of a place running out of premium fuel would be pretty slim since most gas stations (even the Ma and Pa operations) tend to keep a close eye on the fuel levels.

I would be more concerned about gas stations not having premium fuel . . . but even here in Maine where I travel I can go off into the willy wags and still usually find a gas station within a hour or two of wherever I am that has premium fuel.
Some places the further out you get the less chance you find e10 and may even spot a 100 octane service ststion

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Get some pics of the trip! The roads in Utah/CO are some of the most scenic ones I've ever driven. With a Honda motor I observed a small but very noticeable decrease in power when I was driving at 11,000 feet elevation, but I assume a WRX will just compensate and adjust the A/f accordingly.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
Don't let the car run down below a quarter-tank of fuel when you're in the more rural areas; that way, if a shop is out of premium, you can go to another one. If you find yourself in a major pinch, throw a gallon or two of regular fuel (highest octane available), then limp along until another station, and fill with premium. Then do fill-ups when the tank is ~50% two or three times to further dilute the mixture, and then you'll be fine. Just don't beat on the car while you're still trying to burn the lower quality gas down.

I've done this when I've run the car to relatively empty and stopped somewhere that only had 91E0. Put enough gas in to get me to another station and filled up with the standard 93E10 I normally use, then do half-fills for a couple tanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts