Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i'm sad to report that my car was the victim of road rage this morning on the way to the office. i won't bore you all with the whole story since no one on this site seems to like my posts anyway. short story is after some aggressive driving by the other person, physical altercation at a red light (again, from the other person) -- while travelling at exactly the posted speed limit my poor WRX was rammed in the rear, chipping the paint and cracking the bumper cover (and the damn thing was just repaired last month for hit and run damages :mad: ) No other apparent damage was done, the offending driver passed me (wrote down his plate number) then pulled over got out of his car with a kill the world look and body motions, i realized the severity of the situation and drove to my office without stopping, this was going to be a very ugly altercation and for once i'm glad that i am learning to think rationally in my increasing years, people depend on me, i can't risk injuries because my career depends on my arms/hands/shoulders/spine/legs, nor can i go to jail and lose my career!!! had an officer come to my office, take my complaint......this will be a long process, and hopefully very costly to the moron in the 85 mercedes. i'm so pissed about the car, i detail the things twice a week and this damned imperfection is going to raise my blood pressure everytime. the paint from the last repair hasn't even cured yet so it's not even been waxed.

:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
166 Posts
OMG! Sorry to hear! I haven't been in that kind of situation, but I've wanted to react in a ... like manner... when people are tailgating me at 70mph.

Hope everything gets fixed ok!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Um, glepko, we care! Seriously.

Tell us the whole story. You did the right thing not pulling over. The same thing happened to my dad. They got the guy for hit and run.

What happened?!!?!? :(

-Jim

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
next time just carry a sawed off 12 gauge in your car and when he drives away rearrange the bodywork on his car with a few pumps

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
glepko, first of all, I don't know why you think that we don't care about you, but we do. As with any "community" there are bound to be those who, for whatever reason, decide to be jerks to you, but don't think that they represent the community as a whole.

OK, having said that, I'm glad that nothing happened to you. As you said, you are needed by people who care about you. There's no need in letting some jerk ruin your life. I'm glad you got his tag and called the cops. He'll get what's coming to him, and best of all, you handled like an intelligent human being. For that I say congrats! I'd say that speaks volumes for the type of person you are!

Rod

·
Registered
779 Posts
Glepko, take that loser to the cleaners. When he sees the dent in his wallet, he'll think twice about actting like a total and complete idiot! I am glad you weren't hurt but I am really sorry about the hassle you're going to have to go through just to get your car repaired for something that wasn't even your fault. It's a shame that these morons are even allowed on the road. :mad: :mad: Talk about endangering other people.:rolleyes:

Well, glad you're alright and hope that loser gets adequate and swift punishment for what he did!:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Man, I am really sorry that this happened, but I am glad that you are ok. You also did the right thing, by trying to avoid the problem as much as you can.

I hope he gets caught before something happens again.

~shinigami

·
Registered
105 Posts
THAT TRUELY SUCKS!I know how you feel and if kept giving my .02 on the road rage thing,someone's gonna owe me a million dollars.People these days it seems are very self righteous on the road and want zero accountability.You did the right thing,I don't know if I could have had that much restrain if put in the same situation.The last time I was in situation like this I followed the guy to a parking lot yanked his door open only to find a 16-17 year-old kid behind the wheel,as I was about to pull him out.I have calmed down a bit since then,but still hard to just deal with those kind of people.All I can say is that you were the better person by far.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WRXed said:
glepko, first of all, I don't know why you think that we don't care about you, but we do. As with any "community" there are bound to be those who, for whatever reason, decide to be jerks to you, but don't think that they represent the community as a whole.
Rod
Hey, sorry for my post sounding like a poor me!! I didn't intend that, I know that my posts are sometimes longwinded and people seem to only read 1/3 of the words sometimes before commenting. I like this board, otherwise I wouldn't have shared this story.

Anyway, thanks for the support all, I'll post the details later tonight at home. I found myself thinking "WWJD" (meaning what would Jim do haha) at one point when the guy was in my face. I wanted to take him down so bad but had to refrain, it was really funny though to just watch his face as I stayed calm and laughed at him......putz.

Anyway, details at 11, stay tuned

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
What is up with Mercedes guys. I've had a few weird things happen with guys driving these cars here in Chicago. One guy tried to ram me when I was pulling ahead on what I thought was a little game of who can pull ahead. We had just reached about 20 over and I was backing down, but ahead of him. I had to hit my brakes to let him slide in front of me. Now, I'm a 36 year old, and this "racing" is juvinile, but I try to be safe and look at this as all in fun. The guy who almost clipped me was in his 50s or 60s and pretty conservative. How could this "mature" man be so careless.

I guess you have to choose carefully how you handle things in public traffic. Clearly my story was a little instigation on my part, but in the opener to this thread, nothing was even done to irritate this guy other than not speeding as fast as him. Personally, and this is not critical of how it was handled, I move the hell out of peoples way quite often. I drive fast, and freely admit that. If someone is going faster than me, they must be a little nutty.:D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sorry to hear of the incident.....Luckily it wasn't the front of your car otherwise those nice new headlight covers would be toast :D

Keep us posted.

Michael

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
subaruman said:
I wonder if Steve has 6 fingers.:D Steve,prepare to die!

ROFLMAO!!!!! damned steves and the man with 6 fingers, did i mention ROFLMAO!!! :D

Anyway, here's the update. The details that I left out go like this....this guy lives in my apartment complex, pulls out behind me, follows me so closely that I can't even see his hood, he almost hits me as I merge into traffic at a yielding area, then I'm driving a couple over the speed limit, I drive like a grandpa going to/from the office since it's only a 2 mile drive, I don't want to be on boost on short trips, we come to a very rough rr crossing which I always slow for to about 15 MPH, he almost hits me as I'm slowing with engine no brake pedal (as always) then he 'attempts' to pass on the tracks. Now here is my wrongdoing, I'm in a WRX, irritated a bit with the moron who has almost hit me twice, so no way is someone in an old POS merc passing me so with a stomp of the throttle and a back handed wave off I go. Well we come to a light and of course it is red and I'm second in line, so I stop and see him getting out of his car....oh boy, here we go I think, first thought is, I've seen this before, he WILL kick my car or hit me through the window so I'm going to step out, let him know he's not dealing with a kid or a pansy, then be done with it. So I step out calmly and he gets in my face yelling screaming, I'm wearing my nice custom tailored shirt/tie/and beautiful $135 wool pant (I might add that the fitted shirt makes me look a little, umm, well, in shape), anyway, I'm not getting my clothes messed up so I just laugh at the guy and ask him why he likes to pass in non-passing zones, he yells some more and I laugh again and ask him the same thing which I can tell makes him even more angry. It wasn't hard to see his mentality of "I'm going to piss this guy off so he gives me a permissible excuse for beating his ass" which maybe he could have, maybe not, I will admit it would have been a painful experience either way with this guy. So his rage boils and he swipes my glasses off of my face, makes a fist with them in his hand, throws them into my car and screams at me to "get in your car! get in your car!" So I just look at him, smile, shake my head in amazement, and comment to the guy that I'll be seeing him soon. In the meantime the light has changed to green and several cars go around us (amazing how no one ever takes the time to stop to make sure people are okay). I get back in my car and drive off, about 1/10th of a mile later, as I'm travelling at the exact posted limit of 25, the guy just rams me, then I lift off the throttle and think of what I should do, he pulls along side of me, points to the ditch and swerves toward my front fender. He then pulls onto a side street, jumps out of his car into the middle of the road yelling and frantically waving his arms, it was clear to me that his intentions were to fight so I thought quickly and decided to go to my office and call the 'authawatA'. So after a lot of research by the officer and my friend in my neighborhood, I found out who was driving the car and went downtown to file a criminal complaint which made me feel like scum of the earth, ever been 'downtown'....quality people there I tell you.

Turns out this guy is on probation for, you guessed it, assault and a LONG list of other charges. Who's suprised here?! This will be a long process, and take up a lot of my time, and most likely there will not be restitution for the damages, but we'll see what the judges say, maybe they will garnish his wages? Can you have wages garnished while in prison?! I'll keep you all posted

·
Registered
13 Posts
you did the right thing

Well thanks for posting the whole story.
It is amazing how insane some people are. You handled it the best way, thinking it through and not resorting to violence. Hopefully now this menace will be in jail and get some counseling, and you can get money for repairs.

I sometimes do what you did; if someone is being an ass i.e. tailgating, veering in and out, generally unsafe manuvers, then I will keep them in their place. I think I am helping regulate traffic. Of course I have never been the victim of such intense road rage, but I guess I am lucky. Of course I have a probe gt not a wrx yet, so its not as easy.

·
Registered
779 Posts
To tell you the truth, I do drive a little fast and people that feel they have to regulate my driving do piss me off. The fact that that person wants to go 5 under the speed limit or whatever is fine as long as they are courteous enough to get the hell out of the road because ultimately nobody declared them "regulators" of the road. I've been close to getting into a few accidents because of this. I'll have my lane wide open and so I start to go a little faster and some idiot will just swerve right in front of me. Luckily, this car can pretty much stop on a dime. These people don't realize that they might be doing more harm than good. Instead, of regulating other peoples driving, they end up begging for an accident. I am not necessarily saying this is the case with Glepko, after all the guy was tailgating him 'thus triggering this whole incident. It drives me nuts that people think that driving a little fast = accident. Most accidents occur because speed+not paying attention. So many people read, eat, smoke and talk on their cell. phone while they are driving, just because they aren't driving fast, doesn't mean that they are less likely to get into an accident. When I get into my car, I don't do anything but drive. I don't screw around with my radio or anything else, just because I do enjoy driving.
Think twice before declaring yourself "regulator of the roads" you might bite off more than you can chew and end up with some guys bumper behind your head. It's not worth the risk. There's no guarantee that a person will react in time to your driving pattern. I let other people go by when they are driving faster than myself, it's the courteous thing to do plus I don't end up with somebody's bumper on my car. I care too much about my car to even take the chance.
Food for thought.;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Make sure you press charges for assault with a vehicle and verbal assault for when he yelled at you and sntached your glasses off. You could put this mofo away for a long time and you should!

-Jim

1 - 20 of 36 Posts