Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Lancer Evo and the STi coming to the US, there's bound to be a whole lot of trash talking between the two camps. Both cars have their positives and negatives, but one of the glaring differences is the engine configuration.

What are the biggest differences between the EJ20 and the 4G63? I know its a flat vs inline 4, but how does that equate to performance differences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Recca said:
What are the biggest differences between the EJ20 and the 4G63? I know its a flat vs inline 4, but how does that equate to performance differences?

Thanks!
The biggest difference I can think of is that one is flat, and the other is not! J/K

Actually, the flat, boxer design is an advatage due to its lower center of gravity allowing it to be mounted lower in the car, thus lowering the cars center of gravity. This helps primarily in the handling department. Another plus is that, being horizontally opposed, it has way less inherent vibration. I consider that a huge point as my Montero sheered its crank shaft pulley pin due to (I believe anyway) some crank walking...

Oh, BTW, welcome aboard the board!

·
Registered
649 Posts
speaking of crank walk...

Many DSM's (which are Mitsubishi's at heart) have this problem. I had a 97 talon that "walked" traded it on my Rex before I had to fix the problem.

I'll take subaru's boxer design and reliability over any mitsu any day!

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
That's RUMORED to be coming to the United States.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rumor Mill...

When I looked at the Wrx, I thought about waiting for a STI/Evo. My dealer ended up making a single point that convinced me.

We haven't seen any STI/EVO's at any of the major statewide auto-shows.

I mean, the RX-8 has been seen (and confirmed) that it's coming next year (NA, and a 4-door w/ suicided rear doors. PFC (Pretty Cool))

It was recently shown & test driven so it's pretty convincing

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
tan said:
And Mitsubishi....still has a problem with its valve stem seals leaking
Yep, had to do a valve job around 115K miles...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I guess its still a rumour. I thought that they were both confirmed for next year. But I guess that's how rumours spread. :)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Actually Mitsubishi confirmed the EVO is coming to North America for Jan2003. I'm sure you can search for the news article on the Japanese site for Mitsubishi cars. As for Ej20 vs 4G63...well, obviously there's the boxer vs inline. Then you have to talk about how the EJ20 is longitudinally mounted vs the transverse mount of 4G63s in EVOs. Boxers have that inherant grunt of torque and that sweet grumble over the higher pitch inline. etc etc

·
Registered
160 Posts
The 4G63 can take more on a stock block.
The 4G63 is an iron block versus our aluminum.
The 4G63 only has crankwalk issues on 95+ DSM engines due to a design variation of the oil squirters (may not be on the Lancer).
The 4G63 seems to have way more support (and cheaper parts) in the U.S.
The 4G63 makes more power for the same mods.
The 4G63 has less inherent head to turbo lag. (6 inches to turbo)
The 4G63 is already setup with low impedance injectors (on DSM's)
The EJ20 has 2.2 and 2.5 liter replacement options.
The EJ20 has better cooling possibilities, but needs better cooling than stock.
The EJ20 needs two heads (more complexity), but can upgrade to variable valve timing.

No flames please; I've owned two 4G63's and own an EJ20 (currently). Both have their pros/cons, I am just listing some of them. My personal favorite would be the 4G63 in a GD body with an MRT dogbox driving Lancer diffs with a T3/T04E of some flavor or a FP Green with a small shot for spool and a two step.

·
Registered
310 Posts
WizardBlackWRX said:
The 4G63 is an iron block versus our aluminum.
The 4G63 only has crankwalk issues on 95+ DSM engines due to a design variation of the oil squirters (may not be on the Lancer).
The 4G63 seems to have way more support (and cheaper parts) in the U.S.
The 4G63 has less inherent head to turbo lag. (6 inches to turbo)
The 4G63 is already setup with low impedance injectors (on DSM's)
The EJ20 has 2.2 and 2.5 liter replacement options.
The EJ20 has better cooling possibilities, but needs better cooling than stock.
The EJ20 needs two heads (more complexity), but can upgrade to variable valve timing.

No flames please; I've owned two 4G63's and own an EJ20 (currently). Both have their pros/cons, I am just listing some of them. My personal favorite would be the 4G63 in a GD body with an MRT dogbox driving Lancer diffs with a T3/T04E of some flavor or a FP Green with a small shot for spool and a two step.
Are you comparing the EJ20 from the STi or the US spec WRX ?
I heard those are two different engine and tranny.

·
Registered
679 Posts
WizardBlackWRX said:
actually, from what I've seen you can't really compare mod for mod since they don't use the same components. People are JUST not using garrett turbos and hardly anyone uses a 16G, so it's apples to oranges. We're stuck using Stock WRX turbos as upgrades (for now).

Also, what do you mean by take more on a stock block. I don't believe anyone has got to the limit yet in the US. Also, most 2g guys go to the 1g block because it's stronger. Then we could argue that the WRX STI EJ20 can take much more than the 4G, but then we'd have to clarify what gen. Point is, there are so many variables that you can't really quantify which is stronger. We DO know the 4G is a LOT less reliable than the EJ. That's a fact.

Also, mod for mod the WRX is faster (BPU vs BPU, etc, etc). The DSM's have the advantage of a WAY better aftermarket due to 10 yrs more time in the US.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Too my understanding the 4G63 has more potential in the BIG hp end of things due mostly to it's closed deck design vs. open deck for WRX ej20 vs. semi-closed deck for STi ej20.

So that's one for the 4G63.

Then there is the inherent balance of the flat style boxer engine that the inline 4G63 does not have.

So that's one for the ej20.

Those are about the two biggest things I can think of right off the top of my head. I still think, and this is probably becuase the DSM's have been around for 10years now, that if you take a fixed amount of money say $5k and put it into a DSM and a WRX the DSM will still be faster at the drag strip.

I only say this becuase I personally know of 3 DSM's here at altitude that run deep into the 12's and that is off the Nitrous. Where as the fastest WRX I know of here at altitude is running a 13.2 right now... soon to be taken over by me hopefully :).

But just like the WRX's have a pretty proven formula for 12's in the 1/4 right now... the DSM's have things like the "green turbo" and such for formulas to get them into the 11's and 10's.

Just give the WRX time though I am sure it will be there soon enough.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
EJ20 has lower center of gravity. That's a big one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
dont forget the 4g63's ports (1g) are much larger than those on the ej20, plus didnt the jdm versions have mitsus MIVEC which i beleive is some sort varible valve?

plus parts for the 4g63 are much cheaper now than any other car parts honda/scoobs alike

edit: the sti had some sort of variable valve too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts