ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday at the track, after another bad run, i checked my inlet hose (don't know why, just did). i noticed not only that the clamp wasn't tight around the turbo inlet, but the hose was coming off as well (could this cause the horrible lag my 1818's been experiencing?) anyways, while attempting to tighten the clamp, the hose ripped. i'm gonna have to drive like this until my Perrin gets here. is this a bad idea? i figure just stay outta boost. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Yup, you'll want to get that duct taped up tight. Not only are you pulling in unfiltered air but it is also unmetered by the MAF. This means you will be running lean, bad. ;)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
already been through this. is the inlet ripped or just off the compressor wheel? if it's ripped, grab a perrin or samco soonish. you're definalty running lean.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the hose is ripped, but RIGHT in front of the compressor wheel, like, it's been cut by the metal "tube" in front of the comp, but not a large gash. i'm gonna check my AFRs tomorrow, in the meantime, i'm staying outta boost, and have a Perrin on the way.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
same thing here. I also went with the perrin. it is a definate pain in the ass to replace the inlet, and the perrin being 5-ply will not seem to fit on (or rather to, since it has to go around a bend) perfectly. just as a fyi.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snowvert said:
same thing here. I also went with the perrin. it is a definate pain in the ass to replace the inlet, and the perrin being 5-ply will not seem to fit on (or rather to, since it has to go around a bend) perfectly. just as a fyi.
what do you mean by "not fit perfectly"? i know it's gonna be hard to install, but it does sit flush against the turbo right? that was the prob with my stocker, it wasn't sitting correctly up against the turbo, kinda crooked like this __ instead of this __
\ \ l l

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
if i'm reading your diagram right, then yes that is what will happen. it won't seem to be flush as it should because it the inlet piping (or whatever you want to call it) has to bend around a bucket (I think) to fit onto the turbo. I used an awl to bring the inlet onto the turbo, which helped a lot.

getting the stock one off is pretty easy, but i'd plan on a couple hours to get it off and the new on one as needed. it could take an hour, but could end up taking over 3 as it did for me.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damm, that sucks. well, are there any good write-ups anywhere for this install? and do you think that being loose around the turbo could cause some lag issues?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hey RexMobbin',
Same thing happened to me, i drove around with the hose ripped for about a year and it still drove fine. I replaced it with a Perrin turbo inlet hose a couple of months ago. Didn't really notice much of an improvement.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
there is a good writeup on here somewhere. i'm not home now, so I don't have it bookmarked here. iirc, bigsky wrote the one for this page, but there mabye two different ones. scoobymods has one as well. when I get home tomorrow i'll come back to this thread and link it.

the key, imo, is to get the inlet around the compressor housing (obviously) but in the sense that the part that has to bend around the bucket (mabye wrong on this terminology) is not going to get on flush. I had to trim up the inlet with a flat razor to make it work better, then just used the new hose clamp (they give you 3) to keep it on tight. the stock hose clamps from subaru flat out suck, you'll like the new ones much better (this may sound stupid, but you'll see).

if you have any questions, post 'em and i'll try to help.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The key from what i remember on my installation is to put the hose onto the compressor while the hose is a bit vertical, about as much as the lack of room will allow... Then you can use a twist technique to help get it onto the compressor housing. It really isn't that difficult. The whole installation only took me a bit over an hour...

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinking, the easiest way to get the BOV recirc hose onto the inlet pipe would be to take the BOV hose out of the engine bay, hook it to the pipe, then thread it back under to the BOV. was this the technique anyone else used? i will probably trim a tad off of the right side of the pipe as well to help it sit a little more flush.

blackshadow, thanks for the peace-of-mind.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
God said:
Do yourself the favor and get a Samco. They fit much better and aren't that much more.
I agree with dan, would of liked to have the samco instead. the extra $75 or whatever is worth it. the perrin definatly has fitment issues.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
God said:
Do yourself the favor and get a Samco. They fit much better and aren't that much more.

:mad: :( dammit, already got the Perrin in the mail today. i'll just have to tough it out. did anyone follow the directions and unhook the power steering and other lines? can this be installed without this?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I didn't unhook the power steering lines... It's really not a very difficult installation in my opinion. Just have something around to lube it up and something to help you pry the perrin over the compressor that isn't sharp. And make sure that the bottom of the hose on first. Also you probably already know this, but completely forget trying to save the stock hose. Just cut off the nipples and pull that sucker out. Oh and as far as the return line for the blow off valve i don't know how to advise you cause i managed to push the plug for the Turboxs RFL BOV into the opening for the return line and then used a hose clamp to make sure that it stays in there. This probably really saved me a lot of hassle. Good luck with the installation.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
RexMobbin' said:
:mad: :( dammit, already got the Perrin in the mail today. i'll just have to tough it out. did anyone follow the directions and unhook the power steering and other lines? can this be installed without this?
I didn't remove them either, I just pry'ed them out a little to get it to fit. the perrin really isn't that bad of a piece, I think the 5-ply is just a lot to make that inintal bend towards the compressor. you'll see when you go to install it. I agree with blackshadow as well, it's not really difficult, just some parts of the install can be a pain in the ass!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OH-MY-GOD. that was THE worst install ever, and i've done multiple uppipes, an FMIC, and a complete stage 4 with spark plugs. first of all, the factory genius that attached the BOV return hose to the pipe put the clamp on upside down, so i couldn't get to it, it was about 90* in my garage with 90% humidity, so i was sweating balls the entire time, and getting that inlet onto the turbo was just insane. luckily my buddy came by halfway through, and the 2 of us were able to finnagle it on there. NEVER again with this piece.
still though, it looks good and i'm glad i won't have to worry about my ripped plastic hose anymore. thanks to all for the help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts