Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of you know im looking at buying a new 2017 STI. Ive been researching my but off about the pluses and minuses about the car. Im not gonna lie ive been finding some disturbing things out. One of the biggest issues a lot of people complaining about is Ringland failure in the EJ engines especially in th STI. Also the EJ's eating tons of oil. And a lot of debate on what even causes it. Some say from modding it wrong but a lot of others saying its a big issue even Stock! People are saying pretty much that the stock piston material is crap, also saying that the engine lubrication system isnt all that great and not enough oil get to the Pistons and you really have to warm the car up and even then its still an issue. Was also said that Subaru is aware of this and even made the Japanese version without the EJ engine and used the FA with forged pistons. If this is all true im pretty worried and bummed! Starting to think i should keep my Challenger for now and wait for the new rumored 2018 STI with updated engine!?!?!

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
I have always said that the ringland issue is way over blown. Sure, you search for it on google and find 50+ threads dating from 2005 to current. But put that in retrospect of how many wrx's and sti's are actually on the street and the couple hundred doesn't even make up 10% of the cars. Most of the time proper tuning, and engine maintenance can help prevent that, however it can still happen, and is an actual weak point in the EJ's. Weak to the point that I would hesitate buying one? Nope. I have had 3 wrx's and now an STi. All of the wrx's were modified and tuner, and the STi will be soon. Not a single one has had ringland issues.

I will say that burning oil is another common thing, but I thing that a lot of it is blow by oil getting burnt off. For instance I occasionally smelled burning oil coming from my 11 wrx. Not a lot, and I never actually saw smoke or anything. After getting the IAG AOS on the car it disappeared. But blow by oil is not just a Subaru thing. Most forced induction engines suffer from blow by oil to an extent.

I wouldn't let these things make you not buy one. As they are great cars. I think of these types of things as looking up a stomach ache on WebMD. You have a stomach ache, and you look up your symptoms online, and WebMD says you are going to die. The internet/forums greatly exaggerate things. By a large margin.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey maniac. I kinda was thinking that myself that maybe its blown out of proportion but its all over online, youtube, forums. And its mainly the STI's more then the regular WRX with the EJ. From what ive read the reason the STI's are more prone because there already running with a more powerful tune right from the factory compared to the WRX. It would definitely make me want to keep it stock and that wouldn't be fun. :(

· Super Moderator
3,438 Posts
Again, there are MANY pretty highly modified STi's on the stock block that have not had ringland failures. Far many more than ones that have had ringland failure. You are overthinking it man.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just watched a youtube vid where the dude got a brand new 2015 or 16 i forget but he did light bolt ons and had it professionally tuned by a reputable tuner. He changed the oil every 3k and never beat his car, never raced it he said he just would get on it a little once in awhile when getting onto the highway. He said he really took care of it. He still got Ringland failure. .. So i dont know..

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
I would say cracked ringlands have become a lesser issue after 2010. Even though you are reading a lot of bad stories, the failure rate is VERY low. 8 times out of 10 a ringland failure can be directly attributed to improper modifications and lack of tuning the ecu for said mods or poor maintenance. Essentially, user error. The same can be said about spun rod bearings. Take it all with a grain of salt. You will always hear the bad stories, and those stories make up the 1%. Keep that in mind.

· Water.....sometimes waves
2,183 Posts
never beat his car, never raced it he said.... He said .....
Key here is the "he said." I am a cynical bastard but I have seen enough evidence to support most of my cynicism so as to not believe much of what people say unless I can verify it myself. Buut, it very well could be the Subaru 2.5L engines are not as robust as your V8. These cars are never advertised to be racecars or have race engines. They are just a real HOOT to drive, are practical with the AWD and 4 doors, and "fast enough" for the road.

· Registered
436 Posts
Zman, just wait until a little bit of snow hits the ground... suddenly, everybody is spinning bearings.

It's like clockwork.

>It snows 2 inches
>Guy gets into his WRX and goes hooning in a parking lot
>Type of guy that never checks his oil
>Guy does redline-bouncing cyclones, non stop, for a half hour
>Car spins a rod bearing
>Guy goes onto the interwebs and starts threads in every forum and facebook group proclaiming how much of a POS his subaru is.

I would say the part about "burning" oil is true... though I agree with WRX-maniac on the blow-by comment. I add about 1 to 1.5 quarts between oil changes (I change oil around 5-6K miles). This is actually less than what the manual states one may expect to see.

Ringlands. I have met a guy that blew his engine twice, and have heard stories from various sources. However, none of my actual friends or direct acquaintances have cracked a ringland. The guy that did blow his engine (twice) was not particularly kind to his car. He would mash on it right after a cold start, which is also how he blew both of his engines.

I stick with what has been suggested to me over the years by friends and Subaru technicians. Let the car heat up fully before you get on it. Keep in mind that your oil can take twice as long to heat up as your coolant, so if your coolant temp stabilizes after 5 minutes, then wait another 5 before really getting on it.

· Premium Member
15,876 Posts
Check your oil and don't hammer on any car when it is cold.

Don't run a lean tune with knock.

Problem solved - these are motors that regularly last >200K miles even with stage II+ modifications if done properly.

· Registered
436 Posts
Check your oil and don't hammer on any car when it is cold.

Don't run a lean tune with knock.

Problem solved - these are motors that regularly last >200K miles even with stage II+ modifications if done properly.
Also, don't eat the white mushrooms with white crowded gills, white spores, visible ring, and a visible bulb at the base of the stipe.

· Registered
3,060 Posts
Also, don't eat the white mushrooms with white crowded gills, white spores, visible ring, and a visible bulb at the base of the stipe.
How about the blue ones?

· Registered
154 Posts
It's like clockwork.

>It snows 2 inches
>Guy gets into his WRX and goes hooning in a parking lot
>Type of guy that never checks his oil
>Guy does redline-bouncing cyclones, non stop, for a half hour
>Car spins a rod bearing
>Guy goes onto the interwebs and starts threads in every forum and facebook group proclaiming how much of a POS his subaru is.
Beyond hilarious. I know so many people who do this. ZMan- I've been thinking alot about this too as I am in the boat for an 18 WRX/STi and realistically, it's one of those 1/1000 chances that we take. Want to play it safe? Keep her stock through the warranty and you'll be fine if she goes. It's really so much less of a realistic problem than we read online.

EDIT: Here's an article that covers a lot of well-knowns for the typical car guy but it's still got so much good info it's worth the read: https://tougetuning.com/subaru-ringland-failures-are-the-forums-right/

· Registered
100 Posts
Beyond hilarious. I know so many people who do this. ZMan- I've been thinking alot about this too as I am in the boat for an 18 WRX/STi and realistically, it's one of those 1/1000 chances that we take. Want to play it safe? Keep her stock through the warranty and you'll be fine if she goes. It's really so much less of a realistic problem than we read online.

EDIT: Here's an article that covers a lot of well-knowns for the typical car guy but it's still got so much good info it's worth the read: https://tougetuning.com/subaru-ringland-failures-are-the-forums-right/
Thats for that article. I am not really worried about the issue but it was a good read non the less.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the article bwilson. Great read. I think doing all those steps in the article would help the engine out a lot. Might be a good idea installing drop in forged pistons as well for someone planing to keep the car forever.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually think the STI is more advertised as a race car then the Challenger. Subaru competes road races and hard core Ralley races. I dont think ive ever seen a Challenger in a professional race.!?!?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.