Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my extreme naivetee, here, but...

I seem to have the impression that I can't just buy any wheels / rims I like - hence the "application guide" found on most sites where wheels & rims are sold. SO, what's the deal with getting wheels/rims? If I see a set I really really like, how do I know whether it will work with my rex, and if it won't work right off the bat, are there adapters that make all wheels work?

Any help would be much much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what i do know is this:
every car company uses a different bolt pattern, and the WRX has a bolt pattern of 5x100. the wheels must have this bolt pattern in order to fit. the offset is also important and i believe optimal offset is 48, but you'll have to check with someone else about that. there is some flexibility in the offset, not sure how much though.
you do have some room to work with when selecting tire size, but for specifics you'll need to wait for someone else to respond.
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
7 Posts
The offset changes depending on the wheel width. 48mm is the proper offset for a 17" diameter, 7.5" wide wheel. The general concensus for tire size on a wagon is 215-45-17. Anything bigger will rub on the rear...especially if you ever decide to go with an aftermarket suspension that lowers the ride height. There's been a long, drawn-out debate over this issue with the wagon. Those with 215's NEVER rub. Those with 225's rub with lowered suspension, or with back seat passengers.

Now, if you wanna go with 18" wheels, the above info is moot. There is at least one wago in H-town running 18" wheels and tires...with NO rubbing problems. I don't remember exactly what size tires he's running or what his offset is, though.

We don't have a very big selection of wheels available to us....yet.

You don't want to use spacers...ever. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Westside WRX said:
You don't want to use spacers...ever. ;)
Yes, spacers == bad. My friend has spacers for his turbo Civic so he can fit his 13.9" Brembos under his 17" Advan RGs. NOT good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks

Thanks for the great responses. I'm glad to hear someone mention there isn't a great selection of wheels - that was my impression after shopping around online. Bummer. Hopefully there will be more available in time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts