ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, posted into NASIOC as well for more help :)

I was hoping people on here could assist me to improve my driving.

Long story short, I like to look after my 2002 WRX, not launch it etc because I don't want big repair bills if I can try to avoid them, but I feel like I am riding the clutch and am scared that I am going to be up for a clutch replacement job if I am not careful.

Because I try and not launch car/dump the clutch, I generally shift fairly slowly most of the time.

The problem arises when I want to boost/drive it a bit harder. Whenever I change gears, I try to not slam it into gear as well as trying not to dump the clutch from fully disengaged to fully engaged. What happens tho, is I will say hit 5k revs in 2nd gear, Press Clutch pedal in and then shift, but then try not to dump the clutch, but I end up revving the car while the clutch is still a little in therefore "riding the clutch," between gear changes.

This only happens when I boost as I am trying to accelerate quickly and that causes me to ride the clutch.

What is the best way to learn to start shifting better faster? I keep getting mixed messages that changing gears fast and dumping clutch is bad, but I also hear that chanigng gears quickly is good so you don't ride the clutch.

I am also quite scared of damage I have done to the clutch. WOuld 2 months of driving like this be bad? I have only ever once smelt the burning clutch smell and that was on a steep hill, so if I have not smelt burning, am I doing ok? Or is it still damaging clutch even if I don't smell burning?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I found accelerating after the clutch is out tends to be smoother after 1st gear. I've noticed some are on the gas as the clutch is coming out & it causes rpm to be higher than necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts