Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would make a quick review thread on the ACT SB11-HDSS Clutch and Streetlite Flywheel. I have about 500 miles on the new setup so far, about 300 of that is highway, so it's not quite broken in yet but I think I can give a pretty good opinion on overall feel/drive-ability.

Ease of Install: 3/10
Removing your transmission without a proper transmission jack is very difficult and not a recommended job for someone who is not familiar working on cars. Even experienced weekend warriors will probably have some difficulty if they run into the same problems I did. I did much of the work by myself but needed my father-in-law to help me with the physical removal and reinstall of the transmission. Shop install is the recommended route, however, DIY install is not impossible. The average of my quoted install prices was about $680 for labor only. I chose to do the install myself and it took me 3 days in my garage. Most of this time was due to issues encountered along the way. Without issues, removal of the transmission can be done in 3-4 hours. Installation of the new parts took about 15 minutes. Reinstall of the transmission and all supporting parts took about 2.5 hours. You can see my DIY thread for more info.

Overall Driveability (Compared to OEM): 9/10
  • Clutch Pedal Feel: 9/10 -The Clutch pedal is barely stiffer than OEM. I honestly can't tell if it is psychological or if there actual is an increase in stiffness it is so subtle.
  • Ease of Engagement: 8/10 - I needed to increase my RPMs by about 500 over the OEM clutch to get smooth engagement. If you don't raise the RPMs sufficiently the whole car shudders as it would if you were about to stall on the OEM clutch.
  • Noise: 10/10 - I have not heard any noise from any of the new components. I did use the supplied ACT release bearing so I will have to see how that holds up. I do not hear any chatter from the flywheel either.
  • Bite: 10/10 - The bite is very hard and very sudden on this setup. There really is no slipping the clutch. It is more of an abrupt engaged/disengaged feeling.
Shifter Feel: 10/10
Compared to the original clutch setup, there really inst any difference that I can tell. I did use Motul fluid in both the transmission and rear diff so that has made the shifts feel smoother. I do not think the clutch/flywheel is responsible for the smoother engagement.

Lastly, the pictures:

My car had 25,3xx miles on it when I made the swap. I was suffering from the dreaded TOB noise and figured if I was going to have to go into the transmission I might as well upgrade. This is what the inside of my bell housing looked like when I removed it.

·
Super Moderator
10,944 Posts
How much lighter is that flywheel? Some of the older cars had issues with codes from light flywheels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much lighter is that flywheel? Some of the older cars had issues with codes from light flywheels.
I did not weigh the two but if i had to guess I'd say maybe 10 pounds or so.

wow, that's alot of crap inside the bellhousing, was the transmission cover at the top missing?
It was definitely an unexpected amount of crap. The OEM cover was in place and never removed. I am looking into the vellox cover with some sort of gasket on it to try and cut down on some of that junk.

I like your cat.
Thanks! The wife gave me two choices, a cat or a kid....cat won.:rotfl:

·
Banned
436 Posts
It was definitely an unexpected amount of crap. The OEM cover was in place and never removed. I am looking into the vellox cover with some sort of gasket on it to try and cut down on some of that junk.
ahh, i will do the same. TheLastHumans garage epoxied a sliced and open piece of hose to his verus (formerly vellox) cover

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh, i will do the same. TheLastHumans garage epoxied a sliced and open piece of hose to his verus (formerly vellox) cover
That's where i got the idea! I just ordered the cover last night. I need to decide what sort of material to use as the gasket. IDK if i want to use a hose or not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wonder if a bead of high temp silicone would suffice.
That's kind of the direction i was leaning. Some sort of RTV around the outer edge. I feel like that would ensure a proper seal. The bottom of the bell housing is also open though and there really isn't any way to cover that area but closing off the top whole is a start i think.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts